My Muster by another Cluster

RAFAC haven’t quite mastered the idea behind under-promising and over-delivering yet, have they?

1 Like

We were told that it would be ‘open to all’… I have ten cadets interested (mainly on the promise of Chinook AEF at the event) now have only been allocated 6 places… !!

I see your 60% selection rate and raise you my 10% with 3 out of 29 bids.

As a sqn we accounted for 15% of the wing bid so other squadrons have definitely gained here.

Open to all =/= Unlimited spaces. I know the comms around this have been pretty poor, but surely you didn’t actually think that ‘open to all’ meant all your bids would be accepted?

The one bit of comms we have had, the announcement, says first of all the allocations:

Central & East - 600 cadets
London & South East - 700 cadets
South West - 400 cadets
Wales and West - 300 cadets

3 Likes

Wow… 3 out of 29 is bad !
I’m just irritated that the event was promulgated as though there were no limits on numbers.

I’m certain we’re in different Wings in that case: 4 bids and 4 selected.

But if there were no limits then they would have wildly unmanageable, particularly given this is a number of Wings…

1 Like

Is there any paperwork for this yet?

1 Like

I saw the FragO sent out yesterday.

Essentially all we know is coach pick up times :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Precisely this.

So … how is this restriction of flying from the Surface to the Base of Controlled Airspace between 1150z - 1230z going to affect our cadet AEF movements (or will they be covered by the caveat about traffic operating from that base)

NATS Briefing - Kings Birthday Flypast

Or will they not have considered this?

If you read through, there is an allowance made for it (but I don’t want to reference the specific unit). The RAF do know what they’re doing when planning complex flying activities.

There is also a NOTAM out for between 0900 and 1600 (local) for increased aerial activity within the vicinity which I can only assume is for the muster flights

Or maybe they thought ahead and the aircraft doing AEF will form part of the flypast? Cadets in the back of the helicopters in the flypast? That would be pretty cool!

(I know this isn’t the case, but just imagine what if!)

Our crews aren’t aware of that at the minute…

Considering we had three lifters and three turning and burning as spares for the coronation flypast, I’m imagining similar.

Might be just 28Sqn doing the muster.

I’m assuming that’s the case given how it’s written in the NOTAM.

The airfield are listed in the NATS notice, so pointless exercise - it doesn’t take Sherlock Holmes to guess at what RAF unit(s) might be supporting the much more important event of the Muster! :wink:

Similarly, the RAFAC Muster 2023 is all over soshila meeja - too many examples to quote.

Ah, no conflict then in ensuring resources for the Muster versus the Flypast? :wink:

Having had some insight into how many airframes were attempted to be generated for the Coronation Flypast versus how many actually flew, I await interest to see what is available for the Muster.

Most probably:

NOTAM U3839/23: RAF Benson (EGUB)

U3839/23 NOTAMN Q) EGTT/QAZXX/IV/NBO/AE/000/033/5137N00106W005
A) EGUB
B) 2306170800
C) 2306171530
E) INCREASED AERIAL ACTVITIY WITHIN RAF BENSON MATZ FURTHER DETAILS CAN BE OBTAINED FROM RAF STATION OPERATIONS 01491 827015 CREATED: 12 Jun 2023 12:58:00 SOURCE: EUECYIYN

1 Like

Im not a million miles from Benson. Local news is now reporting potentially thundery rain on Sat and Sun… could poo poo a lot of planning.

Beadwindow???