Update to Heat Illness Policy

For me, the biggest problem is that I read that IBN yesterday and I’m no wiser as to what I actually have to do. It’s written in a really complicated way and I’ll have to spend more time going through it to try and work out in layman’s terms if anything I’m doing needs to change. It feels like it’s written in MOD legalese rather than being a useful instructional document to help us help keep children safe.

18 Likes

It needs a flow diagram somewhere in the IBN or policy for activity commanders to follow so they know when an activity is EAL and what is required of them formally if it is.

4 Likes

Indeed, it needs to be idiot proof.

3 Likes

Policy should be written for the idiot, not by the idiot.

13 Likes

:point_up: Oh bravo Sir, magnifico.

1 Like

So heat wave set to continue.

Bet Cosford will go ahead for cadets, no issue, because it’s too late to do anything.

If heat wave continues for the next week, wonder/bet Muster will be allowed to continue to save face in front of RAF :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

The way I read it, it’s a conversation between the approver and the activity commander to decide whether it’s EAL. There are too many variables to distill into a flowchart I suspect.

As an example the PSRCs I am running at the end of the month I would expect not to be EAL, as they are all adults, it’s not long periods of physically demanding work - short periods maybe punctuated by rests, demonstrations and discussion. Still technically AT but I would not expect it to be classified as EAL.

A Gold DofE Exped in demanding terrain carrying full equipment, all cadets with varying levels of fitness - probably EAL.

Liaising with the approver is just a step in the flow chart surely so you know what admin (and kit) you need to produce based on their decision?

If you can contact them after 13:00 on a Friday or worse they are on leave or absent.

1 Like

There’s a section in the commander’s guide about work levels (and RPE).

Could that not be a fairly good reference for what counts as EAL or not?

E.g anything over 5 (“moderate work”) is considered EAL?

1 Like

Although my limited knowledge of sportsball has RPE being measured out of 20 rather than 10 :thinking:

True - it was more that you said there needed to be a flowchart to make that decision (whether EAL or not). A higher level flowchart with making that decision as a step is definitely feasible and a good idea.

2 Likes

At 2.5k …2 tops

MIL is on DofE with her school. Already had two drop out with the heat and she’s insisting the rest carry on. It’s because of adults like this that we have these strict rules. (We all know one CFAV who would act the same).

4 Likes

Unfortunatly those types wont learn until theyre infront of a judge

1 Like

She won’t learn then either. She’ll be a victim of the system.

1 Like

Given a team is a max of 7 (IIRC), to have 2 drop is a huge percentage proportion. Unless those 2 individuals are known for it, that should be a big red flag to any competent leader.

Had similar high-energy activity two weekends ago.

Started earlier in the day… tailed off in the middle, doing some low-level training in the wooded area/indoors, then more activity into the evening.

Just change it around to achieve your trainign aims, without injuring people…

7 Likes

Sorry @Tornado but you’re going to need to start following the rules.

This is RAFAC. Common sense is banned.

2 Likes

Sorry. I shall take myself outside, and have a damned good word with myself…

3 Likes