You know what really grinds my gears? The Gears Strike Back

Thanks.
How much did that cost?
In the 10 years it’s been around now. I have never seen or heard of it. Let alone had any cadets use it!
Where is it based? Outside Sleaford Sqn?
What a total waste of money.

I have seen one used at the Leuchars airshow and at the D&C camp in 2015. I believe there are normally a couple at RIAT. No idea where they normally live though.

From what I have seen, they are of little real value for cadets.

Was that a typo that there is more than 1 of them!?

2 Likes

Even worse if they bought more than 1.
That means in 10 years certainly should have laid eyes on one.

Where is the oversight on these pet projects?

See the discussion here about the ACE Platforms

1 Like

an RAFAC branded portable toilet block - or so it might seem on first view.

its “full” (i think 4) very basic screens with a joystick and throttle quadrant to run a flight sim.
very hands on,
very “air cadets” (in topic)
very “on message” with the branding
very easy to manage
but its just a big box with 4x screens with 4x joysticks. with a poster display and video playing at one end…revolutionary? only in its size

1 Like

As an organisation we are great at blowing the RAF Charitable Trusts money for no real benefit.

5 Likes

Don’t know the full weight and the company hasn’t provided it.

But I saw 3 complete A frames (5 big poles, 2 spiders, 4 feet, 2 stabiliser poles) that are a minimum 4 person lift to be safe… Plus a couple extra large poles, several 1m poles, several short logs, about 6 planks maybe, metal monkey bars, a metal beam, rope, tyres, cargo nets, all the pins, clips, and stakes, various other rope/metal/plastic bits and misc kit…

Plus the trailer.

You’d need to be pretty optimistic to expect to get away with that with Cat E. I mean, maybe, but I wouldn’t gladly operate on that assumption.

Depends on if the bits fit…

BADER account disabled by BADER POC because BPSS paper work shown as not received at WHQ (but sent last week. Anybody else has their BADER accounts suspended for no BPSS paperwork.

How long before I get a phone call to say I have not responded to a question on BADER.

1 Like

Nope. I haven’t done it yet and nothing from my wing.

It is ok officer i am a freeman of the land and your laws do not apply so i can quite happily tow this with my motorbike.

1 Like

I think there was 4 purchased for about the country
SN&I and north region shared 1 it was at Leeming last I heard.

I was there when they set it up once…
Took an hour to unhook and unfold, then the computers wouldn’t start so took and other 2 hours to resolve and then there was a few problems with the lights and other things of the 6hrs the event was on the ace platform operated for about 2.5hrs

Utter waste of time and effort…
Oh and only 4/5 people were trained in the whole SNI to use it as of last summer :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I haven’t done my BPSS and neither has the other 2 uniformed staff on my unit. We all still have access to BADER.

…currently :shushing_face:

1 Like

Sounds like the standard teddy chucking / Violet Elizabeth antics, in order to get people to do something. How very childish.

So when did that come into force? I’m not BPSS cleared, but not given any timescale on when it needs doing. I thought it was on renewal of MOD F90 or SC.

That’s what we are operating…all new staff/staff changing from CI to SNCO/Officers and MOD 90 renewals

That time HGAC publicised a “summer camp selfie” competition by not using a selfie…

In a time before Facebook, this would just have been called a “photograph”

13 Likes