You know what really grinds my gears? The Gears Strike Back

Shall we get back to things that grind our gears?

2 Likes

You know what grinds my gears?

Topic digression.

3 Likes

You know what grinds my gears?

Stupid people…

4 Likes

They live among us…

1 Like

Okay, Gears.

I spent yesterday being ‘fammed’ up on the new leadership equipment trailer. The more time I spent with it, the more I realised it’s yet another RAFAC vanity project. Too much effort to deploy effectively, which means that once the newness has worn off, it’ll either be forgotten at Region, or one wing will co-opt it. (Which of those two options, would be my preference, better that one wing uses an item lots, than no-one uses it at all.)

This is it here: https://challengeacademy.co.uk/mobile-challenge-course/

7 Likes

A permanent set up somewhere would be better.

Anyways, how long is the set up?

My Boss and CI (Broken toes…if you were at the same one) really enjoyed it.

My only challenge was surely you would need a +e on your license to deploy it

Motorcycle with a trailer?

Just the trailer bit

Just looking at that trailer and i can tell you cant tow it with a D1 licence (it will be way over 750kg), you “may” be able to tow it with a car (i am thinking Golf/Octavia size) and keep the
train weight under 3500kg but i would have to see the the data plate. The pessimist in me says no.

Its a GMG that the corps offers D1 but not +E. Especially as i keep looking at shiny new gear and thinking that i cant buy it as i have to save up my VA to fund the course myself.

Count yourselves lucky that this one doesn’t require a C1 to haul it!

Morbid curiosity, what do you town that needs C1? Wouldnt a minibus tow it as well?

1 Like

Forgot about that bad boy

D1 is minibus. You can’t “tow” anything on that licence alone, it’s the same as if you have B category licences i.e. you can tow up to 750kg.

This looks too heavy for anyone to tow at all with anything.

D1 is different to a B licence for towing capacity.

With D1 you can tow a trailer up to 750kg. With a B licence you can tow a trailer up to 750kg or a heavier trailer as long as the MAM of the vehicle and trailer is no more than 3,500kg.

I regularly tow the canoe trailer with my car but cannot with the minibus (highly annoying).

1 Like

What in God’s name is that? Where is it based. And who thought that was money well spent!

Thanks.
How much did that cost?
In the 10 years it’s been around now. I have never seen or heard of it. Let alone had any cadets use it!
Where is it based? Outside Sleaford Sqn?
What a total waste of money.

I have seen one used at the Leuchars airshow and at the D&C camp in 2015. I believe there are normally a couple at RIAT. No idea where they normally live though.

From what I have seen, they are of little real value for cadets.