What are you watching?

So watched the two new episodes of Dr Who that’s dropped on iPlayer before broadcast this evening.

First one was a bit meh & confusing but alright. & gets a bit of a pass as it tries to a soft reset for new viewers.

Second episode “Devils Chord” was really good & enjoyable & definitely worth watching :slight_smile:

Good to see Doctor Who is back :slight_smile:

I enjoyed Ncuti’s first outing. But I can’t see myself re-watching either of these two episodes.

Not exactly watching but reading an ever growing thread of Twitter about the aparent utter and complete mess surrodunding Eurovision this year. Dutch artist banned, Israeli delegtion seemingly breaking rules but EBU saying nothing happened. Spanish, French and Noreweigan current or previous contestants making statements and Italian member last night doing an impromtu rendtion of Imagine (John Lenon) after the practise along with some sort of speech.

And in all of this the EBU press team seems to be taking lessons from Air Cadet media team of ignore the problem until they can’t then deny everything. It is going about as well as you expect seeing as anything they ‘forget’ to put in the boradcast is just being shared by people in person.

I wasn’t going to watch Eurovision this year but this sort of makes up for it. But I am looking forward to catching thoes two episodes of Doctor Who. The 60th epsiodes were pretty good and I am looking forward to seeing more Ncuti after the Christmas special.

It’s ironic with Eurovision - every year everyone moans it’s political. This year people are moaning it’s not political enough.

1 Like

I liked the second episode a lot more than the first with the story line a bit tighter. I just didn’t like the final twist at the end which was just a big lipped alligator moment. Ditch that scene & I think it works quite well & quite thematically flows nicely into Eurovision.

It certainly is an interesting situation. Especially with how people keep drawing comparisons to how Russia was treated last year. I’m honestly surprised it has taken this long for it start going wrong for the EBU with how much of a mess this seems to have been causing online.

I do wonder how this will all sort out over the next few hours as it starts and then results come in (both jury and public).

Wondering if we should have a live chat thread?

2 Likes

Watching just the opening sequence of this and wishing I had even ⅒ of the level of enthusiasm, passion and drive that this man had.

2 Likes

This is the sort of content I really enjoy. @redowling - I feel like this one will be right up your street too.

good little adventure there!

Away on a city break - flicked the hotel tele on & stumbled across BBC4 currently playing…….Blazing Saddles !?!

How on earth is this film still being shown? I know it was a full send up of bigots to extremis when it originated but still.

It was scrapping the knuckles when it came out - now days it’s practically amputating limbs!

The Star Trek Discovery Season 5 (and in fact whole show) finale. No spoilers but I mostly enjoyed it.

1 Like

Dr Who.

What the hell is this tosh? It used to be watchable.

2 Likes

I dunno, i thought the subtle nuanced foreshadowing of this weeks twist was well sprinkled throughout the episode, which certainly required a 2nd watch to catch all of it.

Dark, certainly better than Space Babies.

73 last week was good too

It’s the first I’ve seen of the new series and it just felt lacking in any real reason to exist.

I did enjoy the social commentary, very clearly aimed at people on their phones, unable to operate without them and waking into danger whilst distracted. The lesson about the dangers of technology too, and class differences.

But there was one big unanswered question for me. Why didn’t the dots just pounce rather than going through the creation process for the hungry things? The events could have all been over within a few seconds. Sentient beings with the ability for genetic engineering should be able to come up with that solution.

Going back along time here, but just announce that Rob Burrows has passed away.

League is not my type of rugby, not his support and infectious humour across both league and union.

RIP Rob :pensive:

He and Doddie Weir have done amazing things for MND awareness, fundraising and research. Both are an absolute credit to the world of rugby, and indeed the world in general.

Both provided fantastic examples of what it means to make the best of a bad situation.

RIP.

2 Likes

Starmer v Sunak…

As per these debates are strongly moderated, if they have 45 seconds, pop the countdown clock on and cut the mic when the time is up.

I’ve had it on for about 5 mins. About to turn it off. Too much waffle to answer simple questions. And Sunak pulling this £2k out of nowhere and constantly using it as a gotcha is getting annoying.

I’ve given up…

Kinda worrying about that £2k starmer never denied

1 Like