Platinum Jubilee

That’s interesting. It would be nice if both CIs and uniformed could get it.

You are right, it is vague! I find the ‘ors’ interesting though.

For the last 2 it had to be all uniformed adult service.

Neither CI nor Staff Cadet Service counted.

Thanks. It would be good if ‘time in the pipeline to be uniformed’ counted as then I’d be well ok :joy: Obviously that is tongue in cheek and I realise that isn’t plausible or appropriate.

2 Likes

I think it would be unfair if it didn’t. I have friends in both the army and sea cadets who become staff at 18 both will get theirs next year. It would make sense that our staff cadet service is included to keep all 3 services in line and fair as with the CFM.

1 Like

Please could someone point me to the regulation that says that time spent as a CI did not count towards the QDJM being issued to uniformed CFAVs?

The DIN linked earlier says :

Uniformed Cadet Force Adult Volunteers

(1) Basic Criteria. A total of 5 training years effective volunteer service, i.e. from 1 April to 31 March (not necessarily continuous); additionally any qualifying Regular, Reserve or other Cadet service can count in accordance with Para 8 below. Any service must have started on or before 7 Feb 07 and service with cadets before 31 Aug 2011. Personnel must be in effective service on 6 Feb 12 and the training year 2011/12 must be one of the qualifying years to count.

(2) Effective Service. Is defined as:

(a) A minimum of 15 Training Days (TDs) per year (which can include days at annual camps); and or

(b) Those who have attended for duty for a minimum of 144 hours per year and completed all such regular, periodic training and compulsory training required in a qualifying year; and or

(c) Those who have attended for 40 accredited parade nights in a qualifying year.

(3) Those nominated must have the endorsement of their cadet unit commander.

I can’t see anywhere here that says that the service had to have been accrued whilst in uniformed service, just that the recipient must have been a uniformed CFAV on 6th February 2012, and in fact the DIN specifically refers to ‘other cadet service.

1 Like

Yes but those 18 year olds where CFAVs, not cadets. It isn’t really the same.

Except with Staff Cadets there isn’t supposed to be any real difference.

3 Likes

They’ll be wanting to claim remuneration next; they are in uniform :roll_eyes:

Although the time counts towards the CFM so there is precedent.

Another distinction is that ACF don’t really have the CI role so new staff go straight into uniform and start time counting, whereas we have CIs so there is another difference.

Sure…

It’s this part…

Key bit being “Uniformed”.

1 Like

With the proviso of it being qualifying cadet service. My reading of this would be to allow you to count ACF time of you were now ATC, or SCC time if now CCF etc

I’m not sure it was that the Gold and Diamond expended things considerably - but I think it’s a reflection that the armed forces reduced from circa 330,000 in 1977 when the Silver Jubilee was issued to circa 150,000 today. AFAIAK there were some Silver Jubilee medals issued to VR(T) officers; I believe they were issued “representative” rather than per person back then, so each formation was given a number to distribute throughout that formation.

Quick Google shows 30,000 issued in the UK, so approx 9000 given to the military

Silver Jubilee had 30,000 issued (plus 30,000 Canadian version).
Golden Jubilee had almost 400,000 (more than 10x increase)
Diamond Jubilee had an estimated 438,000 not including the Caribbean realm versions.

[source: Medal Yearbook 2021]

Thanks for that detailed response :rofl:

My reading of it was that only Uniformed CFAV were eligible to receive the medal, but nowhere does it say that all the qualifying years had to be whilst in uniform.

Ah I see.
I misread your question then.

No idea. Sorry.

Then does that mean that they are uniformed CFAVs? :smiling_imp::smiling_imp:

5 Likes

Any sign of the DIN on the jubilee medal yet?

Last 2 jubilees it was released in the Nov before.

The pessimist in me is saying they are holding out on issuing it whilst her health stays as it is

3 Likes

Her Majesty is fine.
Just age reducing mobility.

God Save the Queen

4 Likes