Platinum Jubilee

No joke. You shouldn’t do it for the “thanks” you’ll get either.

However. I do think there should be a consistent policy, and it should be kept to.

Lord knows we’re always beaten with the “play the game” stick - well that should work both ways.

5 Likes

This.
This is all.

1 Like

To help answer your question though @Paracetamol, if they follow the ruling for Gold and Diamond then we will be included. The wording for those can be found here and here. The only reason I can think that they may back-track on that would be budget cuts and not wanting the extra cost.

1 Like

So by the looks of things we should be receiving a DIN to this effect in Nov time…

Not at all.

You have missed the point entirely. It’s not about the value of one medal vs another. Or waltism or anything like. Everyone knows the relative lesser value of the CFM and Jubillee medals vs a higher value Campaign medal

@anon9987823 summarised it best.
It’s about fairness of previous rules for eligibility being continued forward to this jubilee medala issue.

1 Like

I know my county is expecting for some to be issued as there is a parade planned for next year. Of course I just hope that the criteria takes into account covid as the criteria for the last two specified a number of camps or parade nights, which we obviously no one will achieve in the last year.

1 Like

Intersting point.
That would rather render it impossible if it didnt!

I assume that must’ve just been an ACFism as that wasn’t part of the National standard which was very vague.

1 Like

According to the posts I linked above, it should have been for all cadet forces:

f. Uniformed Cadet Force Adult Volunteers

(1) Basic Criteria. A total of 5 training years effective volunteer service, i.e.
from 1 April to 31 March (not necessarily continuous); additionally any qualifying
Regular, Reserve or other Cadet service can count in accordance with Para 8
below. Any service must have started on or before 7 Feb 07 and service with
cadets before 31 Aug 2011. Personnel must be in effective service on 6 Feb 12
and the training year 2011/12 must be one of the qualifying years to count.

(2) Effective Service. Is defined as:

(a) A minimum of 15 Training Days (TDs) per year (which can include
days at annual camps); and or
(b) Those who have attended for duty for a minimum of 144 hours per
year and completed all such regular, periodic training and compulsory
training required in a qualifying year; and or
(c) Those who have attended for 40 accredited parade nights in a
qualifying year.

(3) Those nominated must have the endorsement of their cadet unit
commander.

It was specified in the document that had the criteria for the Regular Army and the Army Reserve. The website isn’t the detailed criteria. I assume there is an RAF equivalent somewhere but I never looked for it.

Paracetamol.

You might remember that we no longer have a Reserve Forces Commission, so the Platinum award can be very different to the Gold and Diamond awards. You might also want to research the Silver Jubilee award and how that was handed out (HINT: My Father’s Unit got one, yes one, Silver Jubilee medals awarded). They were not awarded to the VR(T).

Don’t get me started on the CFM. How is it that Reserve Forces can get the AE, Cadet Forces can get the CFM, but Regular Officers did not get the LSGC until 2016 and it’s not backdated?

Personally prefer my 5 Campaign medals over chocolate box stuff.

Can we please play nice? I’m not even in uniform, just find this an interesting conversation :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yawn.

I’m looking forward to being eligible for my CFM. As a civilian in a uniformed organisation it is something I’ll proudly wear on my uniform - and when I retire I’ll add it alongside the framed photo and medals of my grandfather and great grandfather from the war.

It isn’t the same thing that they earned, and gave blood, sweat and tears for, but it will be recognition of a community service performed in a uniformed roll.

8 Likes

You might remember that non commissioned instructors were awarded the last couple of medals despite not having any kind of armed forces commission. It doesn’t particularly matter to me if we get it or not, but if we do I’ll take it and say thank you, as I’m polite.

4 Likes

All this fuss over a trinket.

Keep it relevant and civil. No need to get personal.

In the context of the cadet forces, no one here is superior to another and we all know that any recognition is nice, but not automatic.

Having previous forces service I’m sure we’ll all agree is commendable, but not relevant to the issue of a Jubilee or any other medal to CFAVs.

2 Likes

It doesn’t affect me as I won’t get it either way. But with the Golden and Diamond expanding things massively compared to the Silver, if they roll back to the Silver for cadets and not for everyone else then it’s basically a big pffft on top of everything else at the moment. So we do this for the medals? No. But when recognition is taken away, even for a chocolate tin foil medal that means nothing, it’s a kick in the teeth.

No one is suggesting that a jubilee medal is equal to a campaign medal, but it is still a recognition of services rendered.

If they were removing it from CFAV to give to people like St John who really stepped up to help in the pandemic that would be one thing, but if they do it to save money then it’s them sticking two fingers up at us.

1 Like

From here on, anything referring to campaign or any other incomparable medals is getting deleted without prejudice.

Referring to a statutory/long service/other equivalent medal to compare criteria and awardees is likely fine.

5 Likes

Does the full 5 years have to be in uniform does anyone know?

I’ve got over 5 years effective service but not all in uniform.

Unsure as it’s quite non-specific. I’m also wondering if CIs were eligible for the gold, as the criteria didn’t even state uniformed volunteers, just ‘Cadet Adult Instructors’.