Office365 Migration - how's it going?

Well I’ve submitted the change request.

Thus far the whole move has been a regressive step…
I hope the promised individual accounts, team collaboration sites, and Cadet Portal brings some serious positives to offset the crippling of our email backbone…
…Because “Skype for Business” and “One Drive” has certainly proved to be the totally unnecessary and not-at-all-a-benefit that we all knew they wouldn’t be.

One drive is really useful, its limit is a bit annoying but it should stop units from using data stores outside of the organisation for sensitive data which is good.

Skype for business is crippled in its implementation and doesn’t allow group calls from what we can see which was one of the main things we thought it could be used for.

Wow. That’s even less helpful than I could have possibly imagined.

Entirely possible that I missed a brief / email but it seems we have full office accessibility now?

I can open up word/Excel/ppt etc which is a good move IMO :slight_smile:

Online access only from what I remember, ie you can’t download a copy to install on a machine.

Received an email with dates on migration. Please could someone explain what this means? I literally have no idea, how will this effect us?

They are moving you from the on site exchange boxes to the Office 365 cloud. You’ll have to set your email back up on your mobile or change the URL that you access it in a web browser.

If you’re referring to the email that went out today then it relates to sharepoint sites only. So you shouldn’t really notice much difference.

If you’re referring to sharepoint, it’s fundamentally a change to how it looks for us, and provides an easier infrastructure for Bader to manage (as it’s Microsoft hosted).

It should mean we can do far more with SharePoint, and turn it into an actual intranet to share news, best practice, etc etc, as well as all the document storage stuff made simpler. If they turn all the features on (unlike with skype), you should be able to have shared calendars hosted on SharePoint, meaning your wing calendar of events could be added to your outlook calendar and kept live and up-to-date.

I wait with baited breath.

1 Like

My experience is that companies do not ‘turn on’ features when it comes to IT.

Has anyone actually managed to set up air cadets emails on EM Client? Not having much luck.

Yes, I have two accounts setup
Instructions:

1. Menu -> Tools -> Account

2. Click on Mail Tab and chose Exchange

3. Enter email address into both email address and username, and password into password

4. Click next and it will try to obtain ‘server configuration records’ - this used to time out, but now doesn’t seem to. I had to disconnect from internet to get it to show the Server Box

5. Once you have the server box enter outlook.office365.com

6. Finish the final steps and it should work.

Standby forSharepoint meltdown. Generic email to all Bader accounts saying O365 migration will happen en masse starting 12 Oct 18.

I’ve got an O365 account for something else, will this try and overwrite it or sod it up in any way?

No, when you access the bader domains you are redirected to their login pages.

I had some issues with my personal O365 software that was co-incident with trying to get mail running in MS Mail. Since I gave up on that plan and decided to use webmail instead I have had no such issues, though I do not mix O365 systems.

From what I have seen, you should be offered logins to the different systems at log-in time, but single-sign-on seems to disrupt attempts to monitor multiple accounts concurrently on the same browser, leading me to use different browsers (or anon browser sessions) if I need to monitor multiple accounts.

Does anybody know if we get access to Microsoft Planning through our O365 licence?

Just started a new job where it’s used and seems like a sensible way of doing things.

Yep - i just googled it and it logged me into the RAFAC version as I was already in Mail.

Oh wait… tried to create a new plan and it’s disabled. Licensing again I guess.

Not enabled as yet… suspect it’s a latter part of the migration

Interesting- never looked at that; we appear to be paying for it at work and no-one is using it…