HM King Charles III - Coronation Medal

For me, I am/was firmly in the I didn’t want them camp.
Never claimed any as I feel (Just my views…not looking for an argument!) that these medals lately are becoming attendance medals…a bit like America …or the scouts!!
I never knew how I would feel stood next to somebody with what i liike to call ‘genuine’ medals for bravery (thats what I think medals should be for) …just never really felt easy with that thought.
So in my case, dont ask …and be happy! :slight_smile:
It does get my goat on here to hear people saying …“where is my medal” …when people have done great things in the field and never rewarded for bravery or service above and beyond!
…There you go, thats my 2p worth!

3 Likes

@jellybean I applaud your sentiments and respect your views. However, given the levels of teeth grinding we have witnessed when there was a genuine possibility that a Coronation Medal would not be issued and then perhaps only to a select few, I suspect that you are in the minority within the RAFAC CFAV uniformed cadre!

My thoughts? Jubilee and Coronation medals are not new things and we were fortunate that Her Late Majesty lasted as long as she did and we were rewarded for that. Nevertheless, I personally don’t think a wider issue Coronation Medal is justified as it is too close to the last Jubilee. Those directly supporting the event itself possibly, but not the rest of us. If there was a longer period from Jubilee to Coronation, say 3 years, it would be more fitting. I have the G, D and PJMs, and a couple of campaign medals from Regular service, but none of us at the time ever considered not accepting them because they were the Sovereign’s recognition of what we had done. That said, I know of RAF pers who have declined medals because they didn’t think they deserved them; Gulf Medal for Cyprus service, South Atlantic Medal for Ascension are a couple of examples that spring to mind. I even knew an RAF NCO who wouldn’t accept his GSM(NI) because he didn’t agree with the politics of why we were there!

I don’t think we’re in danger of becoming like our US cousins, well not just yet, as they award medals and ribbons for what we would consider pretty trivial things. They seem proud to wear them though, so we shouldn’t knock it!

Maybe one solution is to award the Medal to the organistion!
…Would not be popular with the medal collectors (I’m sure there is a name for that sort of thing!) but then its is awarded to all equally.
…A bit like the Malta GC.

2 Likes

And worn by the Commandant!!:grin:

If the Sovereign issues a medal and the powers that be deem I should have one, then who am I to say no?

Conversely if the same deem I shouldn’t, then that’s perfectly OK too.

I imagine that the rationale in any issue to CFAV’s of any stripe is as a thank you for the part played in shaping the adults of the future and the part they go onto play in wider society.

I am proud of the work I do with the organisation and the successes my Cadets go on to be and one day long after I am gone, I hope that the medals will be something my great-great-great-etc can look on with some distant pride at what their great-great-great-whatever did with their time on this floating marble.

To each their own of course, in all things.

5 Likes

See here.

1 Like

Bread and Circuses

1 Like

Yeah - that too :grin:

Wonder if CCF issues of the new medal will be slower or quicker than the QPJM now our personnel matters are handled by Wings…

2 Likes

Assuming said wings remember…

Why do C.I.s not get any recognition? I have done at least 25 years! I do more than some uniformed staff. I came out of uniform because I didnt like how I was treated. We dont even get a certificate! I last got one for the Queens Golden Jubilee. I missed out by a month on one of the other medals. It all poo!

1 Like

Same for Civilian Staff in the Emergency Services and I would assume the military, that’s just the way the cookie crumbles.

1 Like

One of the many reasons I don’t think any CFAVS should get them and why I don’t wear mine.

1 Like

Because we don’t have a uniform for it to go on? We get civil decorations, not medals. It’s a simple as that really…

1 Like

I beg to differ. Mike Tindall has never had a uniform but was awarded Jubilee medals for service to the Royal Household

2 Likes

Different rules apply to the Royal Household than to everyone else.

It’s like asking why do Ambulance Service staff get them but Nurses don’t? It’s just the way of things and is quite frankly tough luck.

3 Likes

Pretty much this. I don’t exactly agree with it, but it is what it is.

1 Like

Aren’t his for servicing a member of the Royal Household?

1 Like

Friend of mine as a civilian NHS nurse did one of the Herrick tours at Bastion and received a campaign medal.

Am I right in thinking civilian contractors of varying professions qualified for it because it was simply an active warzone, such as engineers etc?

1 Like