You know what really grinds my gears? The Gears Strike Back

Getting a bit cold for that.

Or, more likely, that everyone just breaks the rules.

I thought the plan was to allow multiple mixing at Xmas for a few days so we are letting her sister be in the main bubble then only have to see them for the relaxed period. Win/win in my book :joy:

I guess ā€œgrumpyā€ doesnā€™t read over your shoulder when you are posting hereā€¦ :wink:

We are going to keep it a mini-family Christmas; any ā€œgo elsewhereā€ plans (or people to come to ours) will keep for next year. Much safer for all.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s an easy oneā€¦

Unless they are a single adult household they canā€™t form a Support Bubble

Christmas Bubble is 3 Households, so thatā€™s You / Sister in Law / Parents in Law.

I take it you didnā€™t want to meet your side of the family over Christmas?

Iā€™m kinda lucky here as my family are a single household but are in lockdown due to my brother being immunosuppressed and my Mum being a little OTT. Does mean joining with 6 others across 2 households which Iā€™m not overly keen on as donā€™t think itā€™s worth it and would prefer a quiet christmas, and then get together post pandemic.

My Christmas will be spent with my parents. Since I live alone they are my bubble, so Christmas will be no different really. Quite happy with that

1 Like

Both households have a kid under one. If thatā€™s the case you can bubble with another family now

My dad is shielding so we wouldnā€™t meet them. Plus we donā€™t really do Christmas anyway on that side. Itā€™s a giant joke of a holiday.

The anticipation of the traffic on the evenings of the 23rd/27th :scream:

3 Likes

People will just break the rules and go a day before/after.

I did wonder that. I just donā€™t have a legitimate reason to explain why Iā€™m travelling 300miles if stopped and travelling on the evening of Christmas eve is probably horrendous too. Really wish my partner had taken the time off so we could drive during the day!

Would be a shame if your partner happened to be conveniently ill that day! :wink:

Iā€™d get pretty lonely sitting on my own (as I have done for the last 8 months), and I have a very small family anyway. so I probably will travel the 400 miles each way, even if it is only for 4 days

1 Like

Nearly 500 miles for me. Considering flying but donā€™t want to be stuck in a metal tube with a load of strangers who might have covid.

Plus its a bit late to book now anyway. Before the announcement it was <Ā£100 return with BA. Now looking at >Ā£400, hand luggage only too.

:joy:

To be fair I am lucky, he is coming to my family for Christmas as otherwise Iā€™d have to get public transport. Although saying that, when I realised he was working I did think about borrowing his car and leaving him here!

It certainly will be strange having a flying visit for Christmas.

Iā€™m trying to work out a mid-Wales/Edinburgh/Bristol travel plan.

Itā€™s worth looking at what the rules actually are, rather than what you think they are. Hotels in Tier 1 and 2 (England) areas are open, and travel is acceptable, so it may be that you can get some of your traveling done outside the 23-27th window.

thatā€™s remarkably similar to what my round trip will beā€¦

I feel your pain, helped out one of our departments the other day. Within 4 hours I had swapped into 3 new vehicles and 3 new trailers.

All needing a 15 min walk around check using the slowest phones in the world.

1 Like

So for you there isnā€™t one side of the family that obviously gets first dibs despite already seeing the grandparents for ā€œChildcare?ā€

But in Tier 2 the Christmas rules donā€™t apply in a hotel, so you canā€™t for example all have your Christmas dinner together in a hotel.

Go to a Tier 1 area - such as the Isle of Wight - as a ā€œcaulkhead,ā€ I can recommend lots of good pubs! :wink: