You know what really grinds my gears? The Gears Strike Back

I can see that place from my parents house in a good day and I live 15 mins from Lymington ferry terminal… But I’ve never actually been

and you call yourself a pilot never having flown to Sandown :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Woah Woah I need to start that journey yet… And don’t worry its on my to do list.

The hog roast they share on their social media looks a solid 10/10

1 Like

oh oka… my bad I’m confusing you with one of the other piloty people on this forum

1 Like

Planning on training at Lee on solent so I’m sure that will be a land away location

I stood at a 3 tier tripoint last weekend! :partying_face:

(yes, lockdown has got to me that much that I’m bagging tier tripoints…)

1 Like

I did, as part of getting my PPL (based at Bembridge) - needed the extra 5 hrs on top of the 30 hrs from the then “proper” Flying Scholarship (done from Southampton - none of this one location, as far away as possible!).

I thought it would have been back in the day when Hamble was an option :wink::wink::wink:

Hamble was where “our” AEF was based. They would bring the aircraft + couple of ground crew / staff cadets across to Bembridge for our AEF days.

Thorney Island was open then, sigh, the good old days (good for lots of ad-hoc Andover flights). When they closed, we took a huge removal pantechnicon truck across from the Island & filled it up; furniture, aircraft bits & pieces, the works.

I think one of my work colleagues did some work at Euro Flt at Lee on Solent. Looks a nice set-up, especially their sims. If you hop across to the Island, watch out for the TV mast!!

1 Like

I’m planning to go to Hampshire aeroplane club for PPL, NR and Probs the baby IR.

I’ve heard lots of good things about euro flt… And last I spoke to them they are waiting sign off to deliver CPL so may be knocking on their door at somepoint

1 Like

Blue light card discounts not being available to defence discount service card holders even though both cards are run by the same company.

I got one using my mod 90;)

Blue Light = Emergency Services plus NHS
Defence = UK Defence

It all depends on who they want to discount

I’ve always used my Defence Discount or MOD90 where they say Blue Light with no problem

1 Like

Blue light includes veterans, reserves and all 3 armed services, they used to be just emergency service and operate 2 seperate schemes but seem to get more special offers for Blue Light and try to get the DDS cardholders to buy a second card

Didn’t know that!!

May fault with the assumption

1 Like

I think the BLC is only valid for 2 years as opposed to the DDS card being 5. It does infuriate me though that they don’t contain the same offers or one is accepted and then the other not. Or Indeed, why not just have one card given as has been said it is the same company behind both!

I read somewhere, but no where official, that Morrisons supermarkets were giving those holding a BLC a 10% discount similar to the way they are for teachers at the moment. Does anyone know anything about this and whether DDS would be accepted?

They may be the same company behind both, but it’s not them that decide who gets what discount.

Feel lucky we get access to either.

3 Likes

My access is not due to RAFAC and it’s just a little infuriating when I see retailers that removed DDS discount offering it only to blue light scheme as it is down to the company behind the scheme to negotiate.

I believe Morrisons and Iceland are doing 10% for blue light. There was quite a bit of poor PR last year when Iceland did the same thing and they ended up honouring it for DDS as well.

I don’t use Morrisons but the Iceland discount was originally one of the main reasons I joined, the card paid for itself within about 6 weeks

I am eligible for the cards through means other than RAFAC but I get your point re. RAFAC volunteers (and I think staff cadets) being lucky to be eligible.

1 Like