You know what really grinds my gears? The Gears Strike Back

I havent won the lottery and i wouldnt tell anyone but this would be one of the signs

1 Like

People doing electrical self help :man_facepalming:

Youā€™ve evidently never travelled through Knock Ireland West Airport :joy:

1 Like

What ā€¦ the 50% of a time your flight isnt diverted :joy:

1 Like

Try Juba in South Sudan or Tuat Adar in Algeria.

1 Like

At least when itā€™s diverted you donā€™t have to pay the ā‚¬10 to leave!

1 Like

Done loads in the USA, as crews & as walk-on freight - Immigration = ā€œsub-optimalā€ however you enter the country. :frowning:

JFK - as pax - summer time, wearing shorts, T-shirts & sandals, crew ID in my bag, transfer from internal flight to international to fly back to Blighty. Security screening - arch bleeps - please go over there sir, remove your footwear; & place your feet on the black ā€œshoeā€ diagrams. Feet swept with hand wand = BLEEP!

Eh, no metal in my footsies. Donā€™t worry sir, itā€™s the re-bar in the floor, it always does thatā€¦ :astonished:

I expressed my surprise - sir, are you complaining about the procedures?? Nope, I just want to point out the stupidity of have the feet marks where they are. Sir, you are now getting close to causing a problemā€¦

Oh, in for a penny, in for a pound, crew ID comes out, I ask to speak to a supervisor. He comes over, demo of feet + BLEEP = whatā€™s the problem sir, nothing wrong there. I ask him to wand the feet diagrams with no feet nearby = BLEEP! No sir, no problem there. :man_facepalming:

Ok, please get duty security manager for this Terminal or I will make a complaint sufficiently big that your entire screening will have to close down immediately for being insecure as per FAA requirements.

Supervisor calls for duty security manager. Demo of feet + BLEEP. Demo of feet diagrams (no feet) = BLEEP. He said - oh S%&^%^&!!!

He saw the problem immediately. Took my business card, thanked very me for my professionalism & promised to update me later. A week later, very nice email - he had found 6 other screening points with the same problem- never brought up by pax or TSA screenersā€¦

3 Likes

Anywhere you need an armed guardā€¦ :wink:

That must include Aswan then, last time I was there APCs and AKs were de rigeur for the airport.

Tuat was fine just a little basic, but Juba required the fuel to be paid for in crisp new US Dollars to the fueller who had two disreputable looking characters with him carrying AKs. We exited rather quickly as soon as the fuel and patient were on board.

1 Like

Neg.

Milan is the grade 1 dog end.

Which Milan?

1 Like

Iā€™ve always had a particular dislike for AMS Schiphol for some reason with its at the gate security and ridiculously long taxi distance from one of the runways to the terminals.

Eindhoven on the other hand (their version of Brize but with civvy flights) check in and security done by RNLAF NCOs in those days, very efficient - through in minutes but both genders with hair that would cause an ATC WO an embolism.

Nah, Malpenda not bad, Linate a little rough around the edges but acceptable overall.

Naples, on the other handā€¦ā€¦

All for noise reasons. Tried to land on Rwy 27 when it had used up the ā€œnoise rationā€ for the year - only if declaring an emergency & to have safety report ready to hand in to the marshaller!! Wind was 270/45 gusting 60 - 70 kts - 36 / 18 was offered, oh how we laughed! Even landing an A300 B4 on Rwy 24 was sporty!

One or 2 aircraft had runway excursions due to their stupid rules on acceptable tailwind - think that the airport was downgraded on the international safety scale until they saw common sense.

Did one flight from Biggin to Schipol, not allowed to land on 04 / 22 (nearest to biz jet centre) - 30 mins flight, but 40 mins taxy time!!

Moving on somewhat.
GMG: no heating againā€¦ The gas fireplace in the living room, which we have never used since moving in because itā€™s literally just lighting an open gas valve, is leaking. Below the valve. So Western Power have cut us off from Gas entirely until we cap the leakā€¦

All this ridiculous speculation about our Honorary Air Commandant, The Princess of Wales. Whatever is going on is not a secret, itā€™s just private. Itā€™s sickening that there are so many rumours going around on regular and social media. Just leave the woman alone to get on with her recovery and get back to work when she is well enough. I wish her well.

4 Likes

what frustrates me is the original announcement was ā€œoff duty until Easterā€ - and so that should be the ā€œdeadlineā€ to raise speculation. She is currently in ā€œrecoveryā€ and therefore doesnā€™t need to be, nor is expected to be seen

1 Like

Tbf it does give me a good laugh that people are speculating sheā€™s got a Brazilian Butt Lift due to the similar recovery times.

There are people out there genuinely theorising that sheā€™s dead. Itā€™s just ridiculous and is another reason we shouldnā€™t entrust the general public with either the vote or a seat on a jury.

4 Likes

Come home from a meeting with cadets to find out builders drilled through a gas pipe