You know what really grinds my gears? The Gears Strike Back

Just before Covid, I successfully applied to The Met (then thankfully turned them down).

There were people on my assessment day failing before L3.

It made me laugh that the police’s bleep test isn’t a “personal best effort” test either. They stopped us all at the pass standard and didn’t permit going further.

I did one of those college courses for people joining the police and uniformed services back in my twenties and eventually stopped running the bleep test after about three levels of being the only one left, out of sheer awkwardness rather than because I couldn’t go on. Then again, I’ve always suspected the cones were too close together that day, as I’ve never managed anything over level 9.4 since.

It was when I joined, they stopped that after a couple of people had heart attacks. (Generally fitter people pushing themselves too far).

Bleep test as a whole is an awful measure of fitness.

RPWT is a much better guage of cardio vascular fitness, or any VO2 max test for that matter.

2 Likes

Euphemism.

Oh… maybe not

Hang on… maybe it is a euphemism?

Ok, definitely not.

Wait a second… this IS a euphemism.

:rofl::joy::rofl::joy::rofl::joy:

2 Likes

Thanks. You made me giggle.

1 Like

Dacia is own by Renault. Most Dacia models are based on the last version of the Cleo. In south America Dacia’s are badged as Renault.

Note the grill badge :smiley:

1 Like

Is that 14 million dollars?!

“Desde” means “from” as well, so it’s at least 14 mil!

But in all seriousness, it’s in Argentine Pesos. Equates to roughly £14k at today’s exchange rate.

Hyper inflation in Argentina, currently running at 150%

Under the Communist regime Dacia built Renaults under licence with IIRC most other E European manufacturers, with the honourable exception of Skoda making Fiat derived models.

Renault also owned Lada for an while, until they sold it as a result of the current unpleasantness in Ukraine.

Can’t comment on the Dacia cars but a mate had a Lada Niva 4x4 back in the day. It was great fun, when it worked.

AFAIK, they are built fairly well. The reason for them being so much cheaper is the compete lack of tech. I think it was one of the Dacias where having any kind of radio etc was an optimal extra.

If you live out in the sticks and want a cheap 4x4, a duster is a perfectly decent choice, if you’re happy missing out on fancy things like dynamic cruise control or a good multimedia system.

2 Likes

Looking at the ads they’re not as cheap as they were. The Duster started at under £10k.

I quite like the idea of a low / no tech vehicle that doesn’t know my innermost thoughts and desires (or even my location). But my desire for a series 1 or 2 Landy has to be balanced by the fact it would end my marriage.

2 Likes

When i was looking to buy a new car, i looked at the duster.

Didn’t get on with it, as the steering will was off-set, and the square-root of naff all leg room for my legs when driving.

I’d say the lack of tech is very outdated now. I drive mums Dacia Stepway - their mid-range model. It has:
Crusie Control
Max Speed
Mirror Blindspot Notifications
DAB Radio
Climate Control
Apple Car Play
Sat Nav
Heated Seats
Auto Lights and Wipers
Air Con
Roof Bars are standard
ISOFIX
Useable cup Holders

I could go on. I agree with @WestlandScout - in her older model (2020) I had issues with the legroom and a slightly odd angle driving position, however her new (2023) model seems much more roomy inside and they have fixed the odd position making it much comfier for drive.

GMG: airport parking

I was there longer than expected last night; the high winds had led to other aircraft diverting to this airport, so there were no stands available for my parents’ aircraft. This delayed their disembarkation and delayed their bags being taken off the aircraft.

By the time they had made it out after all of this, I’d been parked for around 75 mins. So naturally, the cost of parking in the CHEAPER of the airport car parks was £15!

Been dragged out to the pub for carols…and ive jad to drive so i cant make it worth it

The carols should make it worth it!

In laws come over for Boxing Day.

Originally planned for them to sleep on the pull out bed in the spare room but now they’re saying they assumed they’d be sleeping in our bed as their “backs hurt” otherwise…

Shame they won’t be able to have a drink if they are driving home then….

4 Likes