You know what really grinds my gears? The Gears Strike Back

We’re advertising for a temporary role at the moment. 6 months and paying roughly equivalent of £18/hour.

There are contracting vacancies out there for the same job type, inside IR35, for roughly £100/hour.

I’m in the right job, but I’m in the wrong place! :joy:

Hmm, more than a contract I was contacted about which was less than that and fully self employed so no holiday, sick pay etc.

I feel this, in terms of pay anyway! But I sacrifice pay for excellent working conditions!

Exactly where I’m at. My team are fantastic, the working environment is brilliant and, despite officially being “hybrid” I only have to go to the office once every few weeks - and can delay that if I really need to.

1 Like

What’s your profession? Feel free to DM me if you want to keep it private; I’m happy to DM the link if it’s related. We do also have a perm role on offer too.

Probably not relevant but I’ll drop you a line
:grinning:

I’m in the right job (for me!) just the wrong place… Had somebody drop me a line on LinkedIn about a vacancy in their team in London. With an extra £10k. Plus London weighting on top of that. And potential for relocation allowance.

But also. It’s in London. So meh.

2 Likes

No WFH/hybrid opportunities?

1 Like

I work from London via the new forest, just have to periodically show my face.

Worth asking the Q

Nah. It’s largely client facing. And not done remotely…

It’s okay. Theres not really any farms in London. Well. There are. But you get arrested for farming what they farm.

2 Likes

The fields behind the village are still flooded, with the water level still rising as of this morning and now getting close to some of the houses.

There have been zero comms from the local authorities to tell residents what’s happening. It turns out they’re deliberately flooding this area to prevents others from flooding; this in spite of the fact that the river levels have returned to normal in those areas. There weren’t even any sandbags delivered until gone 9pm last night.

Some of the local residents are seriously concerned about being flooded and no-one with any knowledge of the situation is talking to them, let alone taking preventative actions. As a resident put it to me last night “it feels like we’re being sacrificed to save the areas where the county councillors live”

Room for the River

A flood prevention scheme on the Waal

I’ll bet your MP lives in the ‘other’ area! :wink:

Our MP, who has held his seat longer than I’ve been on this planet, lives a good 45 minutes drive away. Although he does at least live in the constituency.

It’s a great idea, and I’m all for finding more nature-based solutions (instead of just building up river channel heights), but we’re rural so it’ll never be allocated funding here.

GMG. Somebody let the accountants “rein in Council spending” and they’ve found some “in month savings”. Hooray for the accountants!!!

Booo if you’re expecting to use the toilets at work any time in the next 2 weeks. Because those “in month savings” involved cancelling our contract with our existing toilet roll supplier in favour of a new - and cheaper - supplier. The new supplier cannot deliver until mid-November… and we have 2 days of bog roll left!!!

Well done accountants.

Well at least you’ll have the tools to create a dirty protest against the wait.

1 Like

Our H&S manager (a good friend of mine!) has just sent through a director level email about who’s going to own up to this to the staff!!! And the Chief Exec, it appears, has VERY slopey shoulders and wants it to come from H&S as it’s a H&S issue - even though the issue was not caused by H&S or facilities but somebody in finance!

There’s a chimp in my head screaming “SEND IT TO UNISON”…

1 Like

Another years no claims… and yet another £250 extra a year in insurance.

What the proverbial?

1 Like

The insurers will have you think it’s all down to evil whiplash claimant lawyers. Even though payouts are down again, even when you factor in the dreadful way insurers litigate which increases costs unnecessarily (still, it kept me in a job for years)

1 Like