You know what really grinds my gears? The Gears Strike Back

Sounds like the main reason for SM IMO. In this time if gets them off good stuff as it exposes what a dog’s breakfast it is.

The guidelines are NOT “regulations” but the legislation obviously incorporates them. Here is the problem, when the guidelines “suggest” something (for example, exercise once a day in England), but the legislation does NOT so specify.

If I can walk on a country path around my local area for an hour & only encounter sparse numbers of people, then I’m going to walk more than once if I want to. Until the Government wants to mandate a limit, guidance can be problematic. For example, in the original lockdown, the legislation for Wales specified one such exercise event per day, but not so limiting in England. In Eire, distance away from your property was mandated. In Portugal, no travel outside of your municipal district. For France, you could go out for one hr but had to have a pre-completed permission form with you.

The over-riding premise here is legislation versus guidance, with far too many incidences of Police grossly exceeding their powers by fining people based on guidance NOT the legislation. The 2 ladies in Derbyshire being fined (subsequently revoked) = one “good” example. Social media probably helped to get a quicker resolution but why have to clog up the already over-loaded court system for a FPN that was so clearly wrong.

If you make guidance sufficiently vague, guess what, you encourage “inaccurate” or irresponsible behaviour (citizens & Police), by accident or design). Make it cast iron, in legislation, then there is no such scope - but it makes it easier for citizens / Police to have the relevant LEGAL framework, not guesswork or personal interpretation.

I previously mentioned the example of Cambs Police throwing up road blocks in the first lockdown.

In the UK, it is policing by consent. Those that break the law (Cummings for example) - no qualms for harsh treatment - he should have been sacked immediately.

GA aircraft can fly as long as within the DfT guidance, e.g. essential maintenance flights, such as for engines that have be used at least every 30 days. One of my friends had to take up a Bulldog the other for the engine running requirement.

In the case quoted, blatant stupidity not to check the reg, etc!

Completely agree with the point RE guidance vs legislation. This once a day thing annoyed me during the first lockdown! The media constantly saying you can only go out once a day but that in fact only being the law in Wales.

Same with during first lockdown there were police fining people for driving to a car park to exercise in that area, telling them that wasn’t allowed. Yet there was nothing (and still is nothing) in the legislation dictating how far away from home you can exercise. I think there may be however something about staying within your tier area (even though tiers are no longer a thing)

Will be “interesting” in the long run to see how this progresses - looks like targets to be set in another name?

My professional institute cancelling all exams and telling everyone to re-book for online invigilation at 4pm on a Friday - cue utter chaos :exploding_head:

Yep the idea has gone down like a cup of cold sick, it’s the bad old days of New Labour again.

What does it even apply to? Detection? Arrest? Conviction?

Because if it’s conviction, you’re gonna fail. The courts Cannae take it cap’n.

This looks very much like a political appointment to sort things out?

Which has also gone down badly, the Policing Minister who oversaw the cuts running the College of Policing which is already despised by most Cops. His job will be to bully through the annual registration fee to fund the College much as the Nurses have to pay each year.

It will have to be detection, it can’t be arrest as PACe decides if people get arrested or not (something that needs to be explained to the public who really don’t get it.) and Conviction is the CPS target.

Even with Detections it’s a bad idea, it leads to resources being expended on detections rather than investigations, “sorry you’ve got a complicated crime we aren’t interested in those.”

Target driven Policing is a bad idea no matter what the target is. (If it’s reducing crime you encourage people to under report).

1 Like

WandaVision.

No spoilers please but I’ve watched 2 episodes and wtf is this.

1 Like

Marvel’s way of introducing the multiverse.

I got 15 minutes in and gave up. Terrible.

Watching the Mandalorian, Series 2… Far better!

4 Likes

Every time I try and start mandalorian she at home doesn’t feel like watching it… Currently binging night stalker on Netflix

1 Like

OC Home isn’t a Sci-fi fan, so I get to watch it, while she’s binge watching Something else.

2 Likes

Same! It’s following on nicely as a more mature version of don’t F with cats… which was a little state the bleeding obvious!

1 Like

Still not seen that!

It’s worth a go

1 Like

‘The expanse’ on prime is excellent also.

Erm, GMG that have to wait for next season?
There… on topic! Phew!

1 Like

Yes! Very much enjoyed that :slight_smile:

1 Like