Who issues our BTEC's in Aviation Studies?

Lovely jubly.
Now how do sqns with 30 in first class use this please.
Thanks.

If I have 2 cadets per intake

2 Likes

Donations, purchases, reuse and renewal of obsolute bitsā€¦

ā€¦ Now have 20+ laptops to useā€¦

How do you manage these and getting the files off them - interested in ideas

(At the risk of reviving old threads, our OneDrive accounts being linked to pers accounts not role or Sqn and it having no anonymous ā€˜drop boxā€™ folder makes gathering in potentially 20 sets of e log books a mission)

A simple network attached storage device would work here. Can store all the first class books, and reading material, so anyone in the local network can access them. You could even go a step further and give each cadet a password protected folder to stop anyone messing up someone elseā€™s book.

That is a good shout to password protect the folders rather than put passwords on the laptops.

Iā€™d rather be in the cloud but hey ho

1 Like

I also suggest protecting the folder, rather than each item, do it gives them space to keep notes etc too.

You could of course go the whole hog and set up a Windows server that cadets can login too from each device and manage it that way, but that takes a lot more technical know-how.

That would be more than my budget would allow for in any case.

I just want a way for the cadets to share completed log book sections with staff without going outside policy. Email isnā€™t really FFP, given the document sizes.

ā€¦ and for average sqns, struggling to find enough pens and pencils on a night? Let alone a functioning laptop for staff membersā€¦

Windos serversā€¦
Dedicated cadet foldets, password protected, scanningā€¦

WAKE UP HQAC. Not every sqn by even half has the resources to acheive this.

They want the books.
Have a freepost address we can send them to.
They file and store them for when needed.
Done.

KISS

2 Likes

Server discussion should continue here:

I wonā€™t move anything as the high level relevance is established, but more detailed, server (and other solution) specific stuff (hardware, methods of implementation, software, VMs, etc) is away from this topic.

2 Likes

Ah, but if you are in Scotland, there is an option of a SQA Aviation Level 1, which can be claimed once they have completed First Class - this means that for our recent intake of 25 Cadets, 25 sets of logbooks to scan in and upload. Any volunteersā€¦

Agreed.

Iā€™m interested in solutions for this specific task, ideally low level / no tech. Even if it is paper and snail mail.

Building a serverā€™s a bit too close to the day job anyhow :grimacing:

1 Like

I do fully agree with you. I was suggesting a system that frankly my squadron couldnā€™t viable do.

What ever happened to sending the books to the wing BTEC officer to then collate and authorise?

2 Likes

Or, and hereā€™s a really rouge ideaā€¦

How about we trust sqn staff when they say the cadet has completed first class, thatā€™s all thatā€™s needed. Maybe some random spot checks if the trust isnā€™t there?

4 Likes

Hopefully the ā€˜fixā€™ will be on those lines.

There might be some mileage in a printed (so it can be reused) or PDF book with separate capture of the answers via Learn or another route.

We could use MS Forms to capture the answers but it would be a fair bit of work to copy across all the relevant logbook pages. And it woudnā€™t meet what the awarding body is asking for.

1 Like

That hasnt existed since 1953

Itā€™s not something the organisation wants to do; itā€™s a whole load of extra work for everyone. Itā€™s Ofqual through the exam board that have said what we do isnā€™t good enough. Theyā€™re used to all work being externally marked in almost every subject they deliver and we have been an anomaly for the 15+ years the qualification has been available.

The idea Iā€™ve put forward is to keep issuing the logbooks, but as an optional thing that squadrons can use if they want. Cadets can then in small groups complete the online assessment using the logbook as their notes. This means that squadrons donā€™t need a whole bank of computers and can do it as and when, just like Leading, Senior and Master now. It also means nothing needs to be scanned or sent off.

7 Likes

A cadet looking for a promotion?

I do think that when we are giving out nationally recognised qualifications that we need more rigour than at present but understand the extra admin this causes. @anon59391077 puts forward a good way of balancing the two options

2 Likes

I like that idea and hope they accept it.

Iā€™m currently wondering if we need to get tablets (or more laptops) for the unit, whether a Kindle would do the job - I think the ACF uses them - or do we just ask cadets to BYOD, in which case we need a contingency for those who canā€™t afford one.