Using a Windows Server on Sqn

Seriously looking at Windows Server now we have around 15 devices to manage.

Anyone got experience of similar?

If you need help with the Server I’d be happy to help. I have set one up at my sqn and don’t know how units do without one. It’s so convenient to have everything in one place, and any user being able to log into any computer and the experience being the same.

Someone explain this to me and the benefits please.
Thanks.

I have a good understanding of IT. But this is not something I have done before.

You can be technical in your answer to me.

But for the sake of others. Explain when you do.

1 Like

Would love to know the spec (hardware, software etc). I’ve been looking at the Windows Server editions, I’m not sure if we can get Techsoup/Charity Digital licences? I’ve not had much experience of Windows Server as work has mostly been Macs)

(I’d rather run everything on chrome books / Linux / open source but it’s not the hill I’m going to die on right now)

Benefits:

Centralised management of Windows & Microsoft applications - download updates once and push out to the devices over the local network

File share - documents that several people need to access sit in the shared (s:) drive but there is still one master copy. Things like Sqn fire orders.

File storage - users store their files on server not local drive so if the user’s PC dies data isn’t lost

Printer sharing - does what it says on the tin

Backups - easier to back up the server than each ‘client’

Account management - easier to reset, remove or recover device or user accounts from the server tools

Disadvantages:
Cost of server software and client licences
Cost of dedicated server PC
Need for a fast (Gigabit Ethernet) LAN
Time taken to learn it all and ensure the Sqn has more than one person able to set it up and look after it (not just that staff cadet who then goes off to Uni)

As I said above I’m not really a Windows guru, I’d defer to @anon59391077 in that, these are more conceptual reasons for having a server.

We should have been able to do the file side of it from OneDrive but the removal of Office from the generic accounts makes that impractical in my view. I know some of it can be done on SharePoint but that is a lot harder to get set up than OneDrive or local file sharing.

1 Like

Isnt this all already covered with sharepoint though?

Wirelessly connected printer does this.

This however sounds like a massive bonus!

If you have one

We have a networked printer but another one that isn’t.

1 Like

It is. Even running a small Mac network for a few years in a previous job just the account resets alone covered the time taken to set it up. Ok so Apple charge (I think) a tenner for their server software not hundreds but still.

1 Like

It does, but it uses the internet, is a lot slower and relies on people being able to log into their Bader account. Cadets can’t access anything. With a server, it’s just like having the files on your computer and you can control access better. This is my structure at the moment:

Cadets can edit files in the Cadets Shared folder, and can view the Shared Files and Training Material folders, but can’t edit anything in them. They don’t see the Staff Shared Folder. Staff can edit everything.

I’m even able to access all of this on my computer at home, through a secure VPN, which can also be set up through the Server.

1 Like

Down side, gotta keep your training material up-to-date with the current resources on SharePoint :wink:

3 Likes

Funnily enough, had a member of my team do just that on Monday! :smiley:
All my (decent) instructors are cadets, and can’t access SharePoint. So this is a good way of them very quickly accessing the resources they need.

2 Likes

Local devices can’t save data or back up to SP. The user would have to do that manually.

It does cover the document repository part.

The nice thing about OneDrive (or a server) is you can effectively avoid using the c: drive; a server can also back up the c: drive centrally for users who need local files (photo editing, that type of stuff).

The ideal would be fully virtualised desktops but that’s beyond the scope of this discussion and likely out of reach for most RAFAC units.

1 Like

Could you do a chron job or a workflow to keep them up to date? Asking for a friend

except they can access SharePoint, just login with their cadet portal account.

They don’t have a licence; it’s too expensive apparently. If you have cadets that can login they shouldn’t be able to.

You are eligible for Charity Digital Licences, you just need to be registered for Gift Aid and have the letter to prove it.

I will look. I set the local scouts up with Some tech that way. But they had their own charity number etc

This topic might help: