What pouches do you need for you webbing

Brown nose

1 Like

Getting mags into the pouches is a challege though. When teaching SAA I have to tell people not to send their cadets with any type of assault vest as otherwise I waste half the time waiting for cadets to fiddle with the pouches.

1 Like

Sorry, when was it we are sending our cadets to War?

What has that got to do with anything?

The ACO does not exist.
The rules which apply to the ATC require webbing for staff when using the L98 systems, and recommend it for cadets on a “best effort” basis - if we don’t have webbing for cadets then they can be trained without it, but it is preferred.

So you teach SAA without any type of pouches?

No, I think he just means he requires them to wear specific forms of webbing (ie no assault vests).

Why do you require webbing to train with or to use a weapon?

You require the pouches to put the mag in for the L98 during training testing and live/blank firing. Its in the pam so you cant ignore it.

Edited to note.

This is the final part of the WHT

The test is not
complete until the Cadet
or CFAV has recovered
the ejected round,
replaced it in the
magazine and fastened
the pouch

So technically unless they are wearing and using webbing you cannot complete the WHT so they cannot pass.

3 Likes

When I shot with the ATC cadets never ever carried live ammunition, it was distributed by a designated ammunition person when the cadet was in position on the firing point and not before.

Still the same in most places Bob, you are required to wear webbing.

Normally cadets at the point are issued the mags then are to put them into the webbing.

Yes it’s a ball ache… but it’s the rules set by small arms school and that’s final…

The current teaching is to issue loose rounds to cadets, so they can bomb up their own mags (observed by the SS) , and then put them in their webbing before covering off on the firing point.

It seems to be stiffly ignored around these parts, with staff members bombing up mags in advance, and then issuing them to the cadets.

1 Like

Dont get me wrong, like a couple have already said, the rule is quite easily the most ignored thing in the world.

But get caught or found out and your ticket will be ripped up in front of you. I have seen someone hauled over the coals for something similar because if they cant trust something to be done that is non safety critical, how can you be trusted with something that is.

my last half dozen visits to the range I have seen this done in our parts.

it does give value to teaching (and then WHT testing) how to fill a magazine, but slows the whole day down as it is no longer a concurrent activity by the ammo orderly but now done as “maximum activity” for the Cadets

Is there anything that says that the waiting detail can’t bomb up whilst the other is shooting?

1 Like

no very true - but they are hiding in the troop shelter eating Haribo - i know exactly what you’re suggesting but it doesn’t happen

My favourite trick when i was in the bang bang world was to stand the rounds up in lines leading towards a “Fun Size” mars bar. First cadet to get to it won.

Got the time down from a couple of mins of faff to a 20 second fun exercise.

2 Likes

We use webbing.

IIRC, they’re meant to be supervised whilst loading by a Safety Supervisor.

There should be no problems doing that if you have enough safety supervisors, and the cadets remain supervised, I guess?

That’s the issue. To be fair, the whole shooting PTS does that now, though!

The cadet vest is, again, a waste of money. Dare I say, controversially, it’s someone that has seen an opportunity to make a fast buck off the cadet forces.

Its unbalanced, too small, cheap and nasty and imho unusable.

A decent set of PLCE, fitted and packed correctly, is a far sight better. The regs have just changed so we have a bit more wiggle room. I can’t see an issue with 2 utility, 1 water bottle and 2 ammo pouches tbh. But that’s just me. Again it comes down to being fitted and packed correctly.

Same goes for the cadet pack, vastly overpriced. But at least it’s more useable. Webbing should only be what you need for 24 hours and to carry ammo. Daysack and bergan are where the majority of kit is held. A decent set of webbing (and I include COP vests here), a decent daysack and an infantry bergan are what we need to aim off for.