What are you listening to....?

Maybe watch Trainwreck: Woodstock '99 on Netflix? :stuck_out_tongue: (It’s actually quite an emotional watch…)

But my listening today: Glass Animals Dreamland (RLE)!

1 Like

Thats what triggered it. I love a festival. Not that much though

Are you educating her on the band or the boarding school game?

4 Likes

Couple of good choices there. Was the conversation specific to their thematic sub genre or are they just musical style picks?

1 Like

Pahahahaha the band

The conversation was around music preferences which for me is wide ranging, but the go to is rock, although I am very picky. Being a church a school the subject of Christian music came up, which I’ve never bothered with as my remembering of Christian music from my childhood was insipid. Skillet and TFK were suggested so out came Spotify and I’ve been listening to them quite a lot since we broke up. I prefer Skillet from about 2006 onwards as the lyrical style changed, although the sometimes rap style of TFK takes a bit of getting used to for someone who grew up on diet of 70s rock/pop.
Bloody irritating I found out Skillet played Download this year, after the fact, and they only seem to play festivals in europe, rather than tour in the old way. From what I’ve seen on YT they look good on stage as do TFK.

Certainly more consistent quality and rise in popularity generally from there.

As much as I love me some classic hard rock and metal from the golden ages, I also grew up with Pop Punk, Nu Metal, and Rap Rock, so… Those things come a little more naturally to me.

Rapping is just fast poetry while traditional lyrics are melodic prose. 2 sides of the same coin. It’s the delivery and content/subject that makes it (or gives a reputation - consider your past experience of Christian Rock).

I’ve been listening to more Silent Theory recently which do use rap elements and are a blend of Nu Metal with some screams, but higher softer clean male vocals like some Alternative/Indie with hard and heavy guitar and drums.

Godsmack are a bit more of a traditional although contemporary Hard Rock band. But they also have “Under Your Scars” - predominantly piano reminiscent of vocalist Sully Erna’s piano and acoustic laden solo work featuring some gorgeous cello on Until Then.

All that said, I’ve really been digging the Metalcore vibe of In This Moment and Maria Brink’s screams, contrasted as well with more traditionally Rock and in places Rock and Roll influenced Alt Indie band Pretty Reckless - female vocalists of all types are increasingly grabbing my attention over the last 2 years - Lizzy Hale, Floor Jansen, Tatiana Shmallyuk, Simone Simons, Myles Kennedy…

1 Like

No 1 preset in the car is;

where you can get most of the above, and a few tunes from some of their presenters.

80s power ballads on loop since last night when the chap next door threw his wife out. By the sounds of the argument she was pretending to be a Red Arrow pilot and playing the field.

1 Like

More than a couple of 80 power ballads is too much, he must have drunk a bottle of Woods 100 or Pussers and passed out. Either that or gone out and left them running to annoy the neighbours.

We moved onto a Dido/Adelle playlist about half an hour ago. He’s singing along. It’s amusing/heartbreaking at the same time

Probably want to go knock and do a welfare check in a bit based on having to listen to that

I’m tempted to start playing some music back.
The Streets: Dry Your Eyes
All American Rejects: Gives You Hell
Eamonn: I Don’t Want You Back (one of the Akrotiri 04 Anthems)
Panic: But It’s Better If You Do

Other suggestions welcome

Snuff

Dorothy: Rest In Peace

1 Like

Arctic Monkeys. Wish they’d play When The Sun Goes Down live some time soon but they’ve not done it for a good few years now

Just went digging in the tire well of my car - the first time I’ve done so since I bought it 3 years ago.

Found an Ugly Kid Joe album - which isn’t mine. #win

Downside? My car doesn’t have a CD player.

Got the Last night of the Proms on my iTunes, Missus walked in on me cooking listening to I vow to thee my country, she appears to be reading her life choices.

1 Like

BBC R2. The last surviving member of the original 617 Sqn, ‘Johnny’ Johnson, has sadly died, and they’re discussing it. Also included a mention of us, as Carol Vorderman nominated him for his MBE.

A well deserving receipient.
Frankly MBE is a bit low… but nvm.

1 Like

Fountains of Wayne - I Want An Alien For Christmas

Because if you’re going to be forced to listen to Christmas songs, you may as well request a classic.

1 Like