Weather Watchers

If you want a decent chance of seeing aurora in the UK, the best method is:

1. Use a website such as spaceweather.com and www.swpc.noaa.gov to notify you of incoming CMEs. The SWPC will generally give a predication of the strength of the storm. A G3 is ok, G4 is better. G5 is put down everything and stay outside all night awesome.
  2. Use the met office cloud cover map to check cloud for your area around the days of the predicted arrival. You may need to make plans to drive to a better area.
  3. Get a chair, camera, tripod, and a bag full of snacks, and keep them ready by the door.
  4. Wait for it to get dark.
  5. Go and sit outside somewhere in an area with low light pollution. Be prepared to sit outside for hours. A collection of good podcasts and/or audiobooks helps.
  6. Check the sky with the camera, both the northern horizon and above you for aurora. If you are lucky, they may become visible with the naked eye. On Friday, I could see them as wispy cloud most of the time, but for a brief period around 23:15 they became visible in full colour, and were glorious.
2 Likes

Finally saw them! :wink:

3 Likes

1 Like

If I was in their shoes, I’d start an ad campaign along the lines of “you’ve had a taste, now come here to see them properly”.

2 Likes

Ha ha!

Friends mistake Premier Inn for Northern Lights Friends mistook Norwich Premier Inn for Northern Lights - BBC News

1 Like

AuroraWatch is triggering again… Just popped outside, but I’m not getting much. Others further North might though!

Skinner’s just steaming some hams again!

1 Like