Weather Watchers

I’m rather inclined to visit again some point soon with a new Canadian flag too

1 Like

Not been to the Wellington for a long time.

1 Like

I was also out in the Bannau Brycheiniog over the weekend!

5 Likes

Massive storm just stating to hit the south coast. Looking South the sky is constantly flashing, about 3/4 flashes per second at times! Very intense thunder too.

Also, the rain radar is showing areas of rain creeping into the 150/200 mm/hr, which is insane, and I’ve only ever seen that on tiny single pixels, not whole areas!!

Lightning strikes over the past 24 hours - a small amount still ongoing

Whereas I turned into my lane last night to this view:

1 Like

I’m right in the middle of that mess on the coast, yet I didn’t seem to get any rain my self! Somehow went around me.

I’ve got friends locally, and other posts on SM showing 1-2cm hail though in the middle of that storm. Pretty insane amount of lightning. More than I’ve seen in a long long time. I sat outside for a bit at 1am ish watching the show :rofl:

Looks like tonight could be a big solar storm! These things are bloody hard to predict, but there was a very large CME that they think will hit tonight/tomorrow. If it hits during the night for us, they reckon the whole UK has the potential for a show!

But chances are still relatively low as the predictions are so bloody hard. The ‘G4 Warning’ is apparently the highest level warning issued since 2005. So that does say a lot.

1 Like

Looks good for early doors tomorrow morning, but with the actual “night” phase of the night ending before 2am, the sky might still be too light to see much as we move into astronomical and nautical twilight.

1 Like

Tonight’s is looking increasingly promising… Fingers crossed!!

Edited to add - clearly visible at the moment!! One off the bucket list!

Bucket list ticked

2 Likes

See everyone on fb is posting the same photo - so im not convinced :joy:

Heres Ms. Vz attempt whilst shes away… im jealous

1 Like

The one weekend I’m in a city and have no chance of capturing or seeing this :face_with_raised_eyebrow: I’m further north than normal, but too much light pollution.

As expected, I was out for the count. My parents’ Ring camera does appear to have faintly picked them up though on the static preview.

EDIT: Just checked the stats, and the solar storm (as expected) played havoc with my Starlink. I’ve never seen so many signal drops overnight. App currently has a “degraded service” warning, but I’ve headed out for the day so I can’t check what it’s doing for the speed.

Supposidly similar again tonight

I was all tucked up - early start for civvie range day. Maybe tonight, but seen them before in Iceland, etc, & when committing aviation.

Northern Lights should be visible again tonight for most of the country. The lowest forecast is KP7, which would mean being able to see them at the latitude of London.

Is there a way to see the time on these things?

They’re somewhat unpredictable, but there’s a few resources you can use.

This link shows you what the live level of solar activity is across the UK. As I type this, it’s currently low: https://aurorawatch.lancs.ac.uk/

Sites like this have a KP graph, which is in UTC (remembering it’s summer, so we’re currently in UTC+1) and tries to predict the activity level. Really, we’re looking for anything at KP7 or above - any lower and it won’t be visible particularly far south. https://www.spaceweatherlive.com/en/auroral-activity/aurora-forecast.html

Also remember that you probably won’t see them with the naked eye anyhow, and really need a camera with a 3-5 second exposure.

1 Like

Warning; if it kicks off again, this website will fall over due to traffic. Again. Their servers have had a right good workout over the weekend!! Lol

1 Like

3 Likes