The RAFAC in 2019

Genuine question: where is it written that hard hats and gloves are a requirement for an adequate RA and control measures for putting up 12x12s?

I’ve tried to find it and couldn’t.

I get it for RIAT where they put up hundreds of the blighters, but for one or two on a training area, with proper training and safe handling (don’t stand under this bit, don’t throw that, minimum x person lift…) is it strictly necessary as long as your training and supervision contains suitable and practical alternative controls?

It may be in their specific RAs.
A bump cap is probably not a bad idea, but I would definitely recommend gloves as it makes a world of difference to your hands after putting up a few 12x12s. I found bare-hand contact with the poles became a nuisance after a while.

Fnaaarrr…

4 Likes

It was a requirement of us when we were putting them up during IOT, so can’t imagine them not thinking the same for cadets. Didn’t see it written in RAs, but they wouldn’t have been doing it without reason.

I love how they went ‘that looks good, wait we need a girl, slap there we are perfect’

2 Likes

Almost disappointed that they didn’t go for diversity bingo.

same thought went through my head

Back on topic…

I haven’t seen a great deal of progress so far on much of our little wish list above…

Not on the shop they haven’t. At the start of RIAT when I bought some merch they weren’t there. They’re a last 3 weeks thing.
They may have been available elsewhere but never seen them before.

At RIAT hard hats and eye protection is only worn when hammering in stakes.

May be my memory going, but it’s not something I remember. Gloves yes, but not helmets.

They were available to buy at RIAT in 2015, I distinctly remember pulling them out of the boxes they came in.

The online shop has only been up for the last year or so.

its two+ years old - where have you been - there is a different one on the Staff Page as well (on the assumption you found that on that Cadet RIAT Facebook group?)

although i agree with the thought process - the RIAT shop and rate of sales disagrees.

https://riatcdtdet.selz.com/

£20 for a hoodie and £35 for a softshell, may not be as high as some markets prices, but it isn’t cheap either and these fly off the shelves (or at least out of the RIAT Logs bunker) and for reasons I can’t understand.
I personally find those prices too expensive to justify purchase myself and stayed well clear but the Cadets seem to be quite happy buying them (although this is probably with pocket money from parents rather than actual earnt funds!)

Incubus has it right - the RIAT RAs indicate that hard hats. gloves and safety specs are worn when pegging in.
I have raised the question why hard hats several times over several years and still not got any answer, i get the gloves (to a point) and glasses given a history of injuries but still lost on hard hat requirements

for reference the relevant page of the RA below

i’d suggest the individual in the photo is pulling over the storm lashing in preparation for pegging it down

the RIAT shop also includes an IACE top which has no link to RIAT.

the shop is an outlet for stored up items at HQAC (or event RAFCTE) which rather than just throw out and dump is offered to the Cadets…

Don’t remember seeing it on the selz site last time I looked but i could be wrong. shrug

Yeah I can see where @Teflon is coming from, but the reality is that i see cadets wearing camp polos all the time (in and out of cadets settings) so why not. it’s a little bit of free advertising for the air cadets.
@steve679 do you have more information about quantities of stock that has been sold this year? or the financials of the selz site?
I also wish they would move the selz site to raf.mod.uk/aircadets/shop or something like that.

it’s cadets getting caught in the heat of the moment and it’s not their money, mum and or dad have given them the money and they spend it on all sorts of rubbish.
I could imagine the conversation with my Mrs when I have several similar items in the wardrobe, never mind the price.

so it’s a parenting issue, not a cadet issue :laughing:

The camps I’ve been on the polos are purchased from the camp money, so the cadets are not forking out extra. I see this as a fair way of doing it as it means cadets are not ‘left out’, because their mums and dads can’t afford to give them the money.

not a chance, although if desperate i could find out
alternatively you could ask the Logs Officer - logs.riat@aircadets.org

I normally find that the cadets who come from a disadvantaged background come with tonnes of spending money, one the other week turned up with over £100 to spend on sweets and rubbish.

Its not always the case and as camp staff i have had to dip into my pocket to give some cadets some spending money, but i see it 9/10 being the ones who are skint spending like its going out of fashion.

Well that’s the difference between being provided kit for a camp, during which you’re all expected to wear it at some point or another, and casual kit that people can wear if they want to.
The kit on https://riatcdtdet.selz.com/ isn’t uniform . . . people dont HAVE to buy or wear it. But can do it they want to.