Teams Training - what are you doing? And how?

Policy for virtual delivery is being drafted now so more clarity coming .

2 Likes

Also surely one of the reasons alongside the auditable elements of using teams as opposed to Zoom is the recording functionality.

Noted it may be impossible to police it to make sure all CFAVs are recording their sessions, but if we all stipulated a disclaimer (like when you call your bank saying it’ll be monitored for training purposes) at the beginning of the lesson (almost like an aviation checklist) thus reminding the CFAV to record the session - it would a) mitigate chances of an overzealous accusation b) lessen the need for 2 named bader logins to be in each session. It is in its own right a 2nd pair of eyes.

also agreeing with this as i doubt any of us have enough CFAVs to have 2 in each classroom/range etc during a parade night.

Surely common sense should prevail

2 Likes

Where are recordings stored?

If it’s on the device hosting the call is it reasonable to expect CFAV to store potentially large files on their personal devices? I’d certainly rather not.

You can record in Zoom too :wink:

It’s available for download for something like 20 days I think.

Stick it in your Bader OneDrive. What’s a shame is we don’t have permission to then share a link outside of the organisation for cadets to view.

1 Like

It can be uploaded to Ms Stream, it’s like a Microsoft version of internal you tube.

Back onto the topic of TRAINING

What are people actually doing via teams, what activities are you providing?

On my squadron we have been running private War Thunder sessions as a bit of fun to keep cadets engaged while we (and the organisation find our feet) and have got planned a Blue & Bronze Radio/Cyber course for the coming weeks.

I’m delivering a jet propulsion and military aircraft systems lessons to my sector, as well as monthly OC meetings.

1 Like

I’d like to direct cadets to training materials for exams on Ultilearn, but am unsure how this works; are all the powerpoint on Ultilearn for cadets to see and self teach?

I’m looking at running a first virtual parade night next week.

Am just trying to work out what to do… Good suggestion on mental and physical health, and have asked the NCO’s to start thinking of ideas, as if they could be teaching some of the lessons that would be nice.

There’s a MH leaflet about - I think they put it on Sharepoint maybe in the announcements?

For Ldg/Snr/MAC, there are ppts that cadets can access for learning in Ultilearn, then staff add them to the relevant exam when they’re ready. If you can’t or its impractical to deliver training to these cadets for these subjects, would still recommend keeping tabs on them, some conversational testing, etc before an exam.

Cadets can register for courses on ulitlearn via the Bulk register.
or you can download the PowerPoint and deliver it in a more conventional fashion via screensharing the powerpoint.

Thank you - so they tick the courses they want and click register - does that then appear in their “My courses” section for them to work through?

1 Like

yup
thats right
Here is a useful “Quick guide”
https://rafac.sharepoint.com/sites/interim/ScotNIRegion/SEScotlandWing/Site%20Document%20Library/Resources/Other/OC%20Conf%20(Dec%2013)/ULTILEARN%20-%20Quick%20Guide.pdf
or for more detailed guide.
https://rafac.sharepoint.com/sites/interim/ScotNIRegion/Site%20Document%20Library/Resources/Ultilearn/Guides/20131202-_ultilearn_user_guide_v2.pdf

Thank you so much!

Was so excited for a second there, thought I might be able to change cadet passwords but edit isn’t an option for me! That must be an OC thing!

nope. oc can’t either. Ultilearn passwords are limitied to reseting to the temporary password that gets sent to the OC’s email.

1 Like

Whilst the powerpoint presentations are all there the ability to self learn from them is hit and miss.
As we don’t normally deliver training that way they were all intended to be training aids to support a lesson delivered by a competent instructor.
Some of the less well written lessons which might be a bit more “read from the slide” can work for self learning; but if you can, I’d say it’s better to have someone deliver the lessons via Teams.

2 Likes

It’s always better to have someone actually instruct. But this isn’t new - there are a lot of units around the country without the staffing levels or expertise to deliver a lot of the Ultilearn Lessons.

During this time, it’s actually easier than it might usually be to support those learning as you can be flexible with when you hold a support session - “Right guys, this topic this week, take a look, make notes, and I’ll catch up with you for questions at this random time on this random day which bears no resemblance to a normal parade night.”

What rules are you all using for cadets when on teams?

No video feed from the cadets and largely maintaining the same standards we do on the squadron - most seem to prefer using the text chat over speaking out which is fine but can be difficult to keep track of if you’re the one delivering the training/presenting. They get a warning for misbehaviour and if it persists they’re removed from the call - not had any issues with that yet.

We ran our first virtual parade night last night - 20 cadets and 8 staff, well within ratios :joy:

We’ve actually had parents of cadets who were supposed to join at the beginning of April reach out to us on social media asking if their kids can join now to take part in the virtual activities - not sure where we stand on accepting virtual paperwork though…

Yes I have found them a bit too simple and dont explain enough. I am the instructor but I dont have a clue about some subjects!
That’s why I teach ATC.