Teams Training - what are you doing? And how?

Not ours, so it’s OK!

1 Like

We just ran our first staff meeting on Teams and it worked great. Only negative is that you can’t see more than 4 cameras and they are based on who spoke last.

Can everyone vote for the enhancement to increase the number of video channels here. If we can share this out and get every cadet and staff member for vote it we could raise it up the priority.

We plan to run multiple training activities on Tuesdays (cadets sign-up to an event on Cdt Portal) and some form of inter flight competition on Friday’s). Each parade night will last no more than an hour.

This way we hope to keep cadets engaged and if what is being offered on a Tuesday doesn’t appeal we will still get them one night for the competition (we hope).

2 Likes

Increased chance of bandwidth issues. We had cadets have a problem with their connection dropping as it was.

We’ve got staff we can’t use as they can’t do any conferencing at all - they’d already tried for home working and failed.

I guess we are lucky with a well connected town.

Multiple activities - does anyone know if it is possible for the same staff to host more than one meeting at the same time? So for example, one group doing a FA activity, another doing Classification training - and staff are able to switch between the groups?

I “think” it depends on how you set the lobby and who can present in the meeting. If set to for everyone can bypass the lobby then those attending the meeting don’t have to be accepted. If you set to wait then a Bader account has to allow. Off course there is a chance, albeit very slim, that your link get passed to someone you wouldn’t want in the meeting so turning off the lobby is a potential risk. We have 7 accounts so could easily run out (oc, adj, training, snco, chairman, treasurer and generic).

Maybe split screen and join one in the app and one on the Web.

Definitely could do a second as a guest in an incognito window, but…

2 sets of audio - you’ll never keep track of it all and it will be a mess. And if you turn speakers off then you might as well not be there.

Yeah you’d need two members of staff in each channel at each time so I wouldn’t have thought one person juggling multiple would be feasible.

1 Like

Could your “extra” staff member supervise multiple at once though?
I.e two instructors - one in each meeting - and a single supervisor watching both to keep up ratios?

Luckily… There’s two CFAVs in our house. I sat in the room, while my partner was delivering training. They will do the same for me when I deliver a lesson next week.

1 Like

Seems a bit ropey - what do you do if something happens while the spare person is in the other channel?

Though I suppose if you had both channels open at once it could work but how do you keep track of what’s going on in each then?

This is why I think Wing/Sector co-operation is going to be super important for this stuff.

1 Like

We just need to treat a Teams Meeting as a classroom, and therefore not be 1:1 with a cadet.

I have staff cadets dialling in as guests and potentially delivering lessons as well.

Make sure you end the meeting and the you won’t be left as they slowly leave.

5 Likes

Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for sensible solutions, BUT… how do you prove that, in the unlikely event that someone accuses you of doing something inappropriate?

I’m assuming that teams keeps a log of who logs on and off, and when?

I think the point of these rules is to protect us, as much as it is to protect the cadets.

3 Likes

See we had a Wing meeting the other week where the host signed out at the end but everyone in the call could still talk to each other.

Our plan is to have at least two staff in and get all the cadets to leave until it’s just the staff left.

1 Like

I’m under the impression 2 non guest accounts needed to be logged in for audit purposes.

I was definitley told having a cadets parent who is also a CI sat in the room with his son wasnt sufficient

Who briefed you that?

Just interested to know if it’s a local interpretation

Wg

@james_elliott will be suited to advise

The only source for that is the video, I see that as more guidelines than actual rules.

As with everything it’s reducing individual risk… but nothing is going to stop the second staff member from dropping out anyway :man_shrugging:

Otherwise in 10 years time if someone like Ethica does an updated review they’ll be asking why the heck was it not done.

Just to play Devil’s advocate… How often do we have two members of staff in the same classroom?

3 Likes