STOP šŸ›‘ Car Parking

Thatā€™s going to cause a lot of negative fallout for the units involved.

More negative as the only reason some know about it is because of social media

Classic RAFAC that is.

Iā€™m in C&E and havenā€™t had any official notification, good job I donā€™t have an event approved!

3 Likes

As part of SW, I havent seen anything yet, but with the recent change, maybe theyā€™re trying to work out which pillar is best placed to take the flakā€¦

1 Like

It went to all the RCā€™s so should have gone to WCOā€™s from thereā€¦ certainly did in Laser

Hants & IOW got comms

Has anyone actually seen anything other than just the stop order for car parking and car marshalling? Any context? Timescales? etc?

I realise that some people have not seen anything officially, so maybe Iā€™m asking for too much.

Considering the CE had a list (which no longer seems public) but havenā€™t cascades a stop order it might that things are more nuanced.

Some RC have done the ā€œban everything routeā€ others may be individually assessing each event with tweaks to the safety in line with what ever the new policy is.

Could it be that some regions and/or Wing OC have jumped the gun a little without actually assessing the risk or even taking the time to consider how the message would be received?

3 Likes

Nothing in my corner of the SW either.

EXACT words

CADET CAR PARK MARSHALLING BY CADETS

Issue

Car Park Marshalling by Cadets.

Key points

• Car Park Marshalling by Cadets is to cease with immediate effect.

Background
Although current policy may allow car park marshalling by cadets as a mechanism for charity fundraising this has to be assessed against any risk to cadets and car park users that may arise.

Having reassessed the risks to young people when engaging in such activities and the potential for wider MOD liabilities to arise it has been determined that the risks are not to be tolerated.

ACP300 and ACTO 10, will be amended to reflect this clarified position.

Im out of the loop.

Was this via email, sharepoint notice, IBN?

Not received on email, not received via announcement, not listed on sharepoint.

Speculating but could it be that thereā€™s been pushed back by certain regions to clarify & phase in rather than a sudden yank & as such it is not a current HQ policy as yet?

First step any regions would do is collate the events being effected & send the list back to HQ. No new events permitted but certain existing ones permitted on a case by case by

There might even be a rationale that MoD central has dictated that they events are no longer to be indemnified putting this in the same category of bouncy castles rather than an instant stop.

Until itā€™s shared as an IBN on sharepoint itā€™s not a policy change. Someone said is was due to be posted by the end of yesterday thatā€™s 24hrs later suggesting things occurring behind the scenes.

I donā€™t think it would be a full reversal but it maybe a fast phase out.

Not doubting the providence of your email but itā€™s not official policy yet.

We complain that there mish-mash comms in RAFAC but what if this time itā€™s because the regions are fighting our corner?

My interpretation of that, trying to think from the viewpoint of todayā€™s RAFAC leadership, is that the RAF donā€™t want to be dragged into litigation about damage to cars and allegations that cadets contributed to an accident. As car parking doesnā€™t benefit the RAF or contribute to Astra, the risk outweighs any benefits.

They are either ignoring or more likely donā€™t understand the benefits at a Sqn level. Itā€™s not just fundraising, itā€™s contributing to the community, itā€™s giving cadets (and staff) real leadership and teamwork experience, itā€™s practicing communication with the public and radio skills.

Pulling out of our local car parking event that weā€™ve done for 30+ years, with only a few daysā€™ notice, is going to hammer our reputation locally :sob:

6 Likes

Thatā€™s IBN format, so I assume thatā€™s from the draft?

So this isnā€™t a temporary pause, itā€™s a full stop for good?

1 Like

Good denizens of the ACC community, Is this just another twist in the spiral? A potential high value income stream denied to Squadrons, which will have a knock on effect upwards and an effect on the cadets downwards.

Is the RAFAC in a death spiral?

1 Like

It has ceased to be a spiral and is now full blown free fall.

4 Likes

The big problem with this is that CWCs who by fund-raising including the use of car parking activities will have a shortfall in relation to the support that they may be able to offer cadets who have family financial difficulties. IIRC up thread that their CWC income was Ā£1500 from car parking which is a lot of support to cadets, in particular if other areas are difficult to access. .

Where I live the RAFAC has already retreated into the nicer areas of Liverpool and the surrounding areas where the majority are far more affluent, but that doesnā€™t say that parents in these areas donā€™t have difficulties, just that they maybe less likely.

Then there are other incidentals such as supporting the use of an SOV or computer upgrades or the purchase of AT equipment.

Fund-raising is hard enough at the best of times, in particular as the RAFAC is competing for the same money available against a lot of other ā€˜charitableā€™ entities, but this has just made it even harder.

1 Like

email

1 Like

Soā€¦

Can Adult Staff and Civ Comm still do it?

Might be the only way to get fundraising, but i know its a pain to drag that many staff and civ comm in, especially for small units.

5 Likes