STOP šŸ›‘ Car Parking

What would be nice is a central store of what grants are available for people to utilise.

This may be a double edged sword though as most people like to keep their money sources secret to avoid over utilisation.

A great idea but there are localised grants, so only appropriate within a small footprint.

1 Like

true and a very valid point. while no one could be expected to have a list of all the town based grants, those on a county level could well be brought together by WgHQ, and regionally by RHQ, and nationally by HQAC.

So, we know that the stop order for RAFAC Young Adults undertaking Car Parking / Marshalling duties due to the safety risk came from AOC 22 Gp - who as we know is a senior RAF Officer.

Why, therefore, is the same senior RAF Officer not stopping all RAF Stations from the use of all Young Adults carrying out these duties? If the RAF deem it an unsafe activity for Young Adults in RAFAC, do they not care about the wellbeing of Army & Sea Cadets and members of the Scout / Girl Guiding Associations when they are on RAF Stations?

If @Cab was to instigate a ban across the whole of the RAF for all Young Adults carrying out these duties, at least the links that RAFAC Sqnā€™s have forged with RAF Stations over the years will have a chance of continuing - instead, it will mean that other cadet forces and youth groups will be the ones invited to families days and other events like Airshows on RAF Stations as they will be offering a service (Car Parking) that the RAF Sponsored Cadet Forces are banned from undertaking.

Either it is risky for all Young Adults or none at all.

7 Likes

I went to the NASC Industry Day last week and was curious as to who would be marshalling traffic considering in previous years, it was CFAV carrying out the role. Imagine my surprise when, once again, it was CFAVā€™s directing traffic!

2 Likes

Sorry what?! An activity weā€™ve been told is now specifically not allowed was taking place at a national camp?!

Iā€™m shocked.

4 Likes

One rule for us, one rule for them?..

3 Likes

Thats because itā€™s car parking and marshalling thatā€™s banned. Directing traffic was not listed, pardon my sarcasm in advance :grinning:

Repeat ad infinitum.

Then HQ wonder why theyā€™re not trusted by the masses when they demonstrate such a lack of integrity, such as not following their own rules.

How long before we find they were having ā€œcheese and wine partiesā€ during lockdown?

3 Likes

Almost like you are trying to sell DofE or a Bronze Leadership course as part of the progressive syllabus. Which covers participation, leadership, teamwork and more. I will admit the comment I made was purposely there for bites as i knew it would however stopping a very non core activity although no accidents/incidents, it isnā€™t risk free and the reward for HQRAFAC is very limited. When the local carnivals and fairs etc quite a few that stopped and didnā€™t restart after Covid in our area due to the management teams not meeting up in the pubs and clubs from where they were arranged, straight away if we relied on them for fundraising we would be struggling however we have never done any form of car parking and have looked at fundraising through a needs and when approach through grants etc. This also frees up the cadets to sign up for Wing events, courses and gliding/shooting weekends etc

2 Likes

I look forward to CABā€™s response to this.

NASC should not have allowed volunteers to direct traffic.

They should have asked permanent staff to do that instead.

As to Him banning Stations from using any youth group from car parking etc. I think that is only right and proper. Surely a scout or sea cadet has as much chance of being hit by a slow moving member of the public as an air cadet and it has an equally poor look for the RAF if one is injured or killed if not more now that he has ā€œidentified ā€œ the excessive dangers for the ATC but doesnā€™t care about others.

2 Likes

I, for one, am sure that other orgs will be hugely grateful for your concernā€¦

2 Likes

My thought entirely, but bear in mind he is only AOC of 22 Grp, so unless the AOC of the other groups follow suit we will always have this situation. Interestingly RAFAC due to ban on activities in SWR during August has also pulled out of Bournemouth Airshow obviously high profile for both the RAF and RAFAC.
I am fully expecting to be approached in a none RAFAC role to assist in the management of aviation events where RAFAC had a lead.

1 Like

Standby for another ā€˜gut feelingā€™ knee jerk reaction.

As explaned numerous times it wasnt a knee jetk

1 Like

Funny how only you and Cab seem to see it that way.

If it wasnā€™t an evidence based analysis of the actual risks, and taken without consultation itā€™s probably a ā€˜knee-jerkā€™.

7 Likes

He only has to convince one person higher up in his own chain-of-command for them to cascade the order downwards.

1 Like

Of course not knee jerk, just a personal judgement which doesnā€™t appear to be evidence based, rational, or logical (Iā€™m referring to it appearing not logical or rational to the 90% of people here although Iā€™m sure to the AOC it seems entirely logical and rational - just not to the rest of us plebians)

3 Likes

Springs to mind, if onlyā€¦

It does sound like that is exactly the position HQAC took, prompting the teddies to vacate the pram higher up.

1 Like