Squadron Websites

Is @DJRice still doing websites? If so, do that!

Holy Thread Resurrection Batman :rofl:

4 Likes

I just got likes from comments from 2013, WTF is happening?

Do I get a prize for a 10 year res?

The thing Iā€™m noticing here is that websites donā€™t survive long-term. Which is a shame.

The problem is that they only ever last as long as the staff member who maintains them.

2 Likes

this :100:

at the Squadron i was a Cadet an CFAV at we must have had 3-4 different websites over that time, each time they were not working due to the ā€œwebmasterā€ leaving the Squadron for whatever reason, and the ā€œnewā€ one because a keen recently recruited CI or even a Cadet SNCO would give it ago.
We did have a very basic site, i forget the format it was now, but it worked so well. Was really easy to use and 50% of the CFAV team input into the content it was that simple.

I recall we had a CFAV (officer) transfer into us from elsewhere who saw it and knew he could do better - we lost a lot of historical content when his site went live and although visually more appealling was not user friendly, and once again saw one person as the owner and creator of content.

Imo all a website needs to do nowadays is offer the basics about the Squadron: where and when, how to get in touch and then links to the main Cadet website with more details on the what, the why, the how etc
There is perhaps justification for a ā€œnewsā€ section offering recently notable achievements or events (although this can and often does go out of date very quickly when the most ā€œrecentā€ article is over 6 months old, often more than 18 months and ends up being a negative influence as looks like the Squadron isnā€™t active, or at the very least donā€™t pay attention to the website).
Another ā€œnice to haveā€ is a ā€œwhoā€ section with CFAV introductions complete with mugshot, but as above can go out of date.

I donā€™t feel there is any need now (or indeed 15-20 year ago as it was so often seen) with every Squadron website showing the rank structure, different badges available and how they are achieved etc

2 Likes

Agreed. A 3-4 page website is plenty. It is pretty easy to do with Wordpress or a site building tool like Wix.

A lot of the website projects Iā€™ve seen, both as a volunteer and at work, have let great be the enemy of good, or even good enough / that will do for now.

That said, I was reminded of the utility of having some online presence when a parent of a potential cadet got in touch via our (dreadful but does the job) homebrew website when the RAF page was down recently.

Wordpress is what I usually recommend to people to use.

Simple enough to setup and get working and generally easy enough to build something usable

1 Like

Thereā€™s a way to use SharePoint, but Iā€™m not sure we have the ability to make our SharePoint sites publicly visible.

I have used RAFACā€™s own SharePoint to make 2 squadron intranets though.

2 Likes

Thereā€™s even some fairly granular controls over who can add and edit content on WP, even ā€˜out of the boxā€™.

IIRC someone was doing air cadet Wordpress themes but I canā€™t find a link to it now.

How did you use SharePoint as an intranet?

Iā€™m keen for something like that for my Sqn

Nudge me again at the weekend; Iā€™ll have time to play with it again then and Iā€™ll remind myself how I did it; itā€™s been a while!

I might be tooting my own horn a little but 1011.sqn.ac (using @DJRice 's own hosting service sqn.ac)
Iā€™ve found over the years that the biggest problem with Sqn websites is keeping them up-to-date with current news stories, photo gallaries etc etc, so I just didnā€™t bother for 1011.

Iā€™ve tried to keep it clean and modern with some basic information for potential recruits / parents and thats it. I could do better about explaining all the different areas of our PTS and the other activities we do, but otherwise I think it does the job nicely.

1 Like

Toot away. Very, very nice.

Edit: Worked great on my phone.

Hi all,

just to let you know - Iā€™m still doing the website hosting thing, either sqn.ac or bespoke.

Been a bit busy though these past couple of months with a new posting!

cheers,

DJ

2 Likes

Good to know.

Wasnā€™t there talk of a Wordpress theme at some point or is my memory playing up?