Space award

This is the way

2 Likes

& the disturbing thing, these(we) are the people most likly to be interested in in teaching the space syllabus.

Which allows us a big in of introduce more to the wonders of science fiction.

We can also reintroduce aero modelling by the back door just using the enterprise or BSG kits classing it as a “STEM activity supporting Space”

However this might be the final frontier for the Air Cadets.

2 Likes

These activities would require more effort than the current space syllabus in its entirety. It currently just requires cadets to go through a powerpoint and answer some simple questions. Would probably stir up more interest as well. Especially if we look at atmospheric and space craft (BSG:Viper and Raptor, Trek Shuttles, T-47 C etc.) then its a question of how to design the 7th and 8th gen aircraft to fly in space and air. Ties in wonderfully with the whole Astra thing they are trying doing at the moment.
Live Long and Prosper

1 Like

We could also compare the albecurrie drive design styles between Federation & the Planetary Union or even the gravity thrust techniques used in the expanse.

A lot more fun than the power points.

2 Likes

Can we add an up to date version of Military Air Systems. With Photon Torpedoes.

2 Likes

Good to hear that progress is being made, really looking forwards to the syllabus getting expanded!

Out of interest, who will be able to deliver the silver course once released? Will it be another one we can run on squadrons or would it be a wing job?

Thanks for all your hard work though, I’m sure I speak for everyone when I say it’s really appreciated :relaxed:

2 Likes

Looking at different way of FTL could be fun. Albecurrie bubble designs (Star Trek, Orville) and other Bubble style (Star Wars). Instant Jump Then recharge style (Wormhole style or BSG). Or Gravity Thrust (Basically putting a black hole in front of you). I know of some great books using all of them and can help build out how they can manoeuvre. Then different conventional thrust styles: Ion engines, Chemical rockets, Impulse engines, Light Sail, Fusion, RAMJET, Gravity based acceleration etc.
Fun activity and the sublight stuff might even tie back in to new RAF Jet designs or new Rocket designs.
Of course this would require everyone else to be half the nerds we lot are so milage may vary.

1 Like

You are incorrect Picard - there are five badges!

2 Likes

So just watched the Orville episode where they time travel to the past but burnt out the time machine.

Excellent & simple demonstration of Enstienian relativity as they take the slow path home.

I think the scary thing is that we will have cadets that’s nerdy & can probably act as instructors for the space syllabus before they’ve even clapped eyes on the subject.

I know that the biggest issue I would face with this is not going off topic. I’m a much bigger nerd on extrasolar stuff but after going through Blue and Bronze I feel like I learnt nothing but at least there wasn’t anything that was wrong.
If I was teaching it I could easily get to gravitational waves. It would only take a single cadet to ask about the sun in future and then going on about star cycles into black holes into collisions into complex physics behind accretion disks and gravitational waves. At which point pretty much everyone else in the room is a falling asleep because I lost them so long ago.

Maybe following ascribed lesson plans is to keep us in check more than to teach the cadets. After all if we as big nerds as this thread suggest most of people actually interested in this thing would probably only need to revise the technical names before finishing the exam for silver.
Suppose we will have to wait and see what silver space is like and how much work the extended project they are planning to launch takes.

2 Likes

Years ago I watched a documentary (Horizon I think) on String Theory. Yes it was gobbledegook to me as a non scientist but it was still engaging TV. So that’s probably where we need to pitch it. Carry the bulk of the class along with essential material
good teaching and I’m happy for you to (try to) explain gravity waves to me in the pub after final parade.

ETA - full episode not available but there’s a short clip here: BBC Two - Horizon, 2012-2013, How Small Is the Universe?, The landscape of String Theory

Another great watch is the Prof Brian Cox series on the Cosmos - the episode on Entropy was particularly enthralling… quite an achievement!

2 Likes

Thing to consoder is what do we actually want to achieve with the space (and indeed cyber) courses. At the moment they are quite academic without a clear link to the RAF/defence. The classification system is clearly linked to aviation and air power. The problem is that both space and cyber suffer from massive over (security) classification which limits what we can teach to cadets. Hopefully the upcoming space launch from Cornwall with RAF pilot onboard will encourage more cadet interest

2 Likes

I completely agree. I think there is scope to make cyber more defence related, but it would mean us teaching the Silver level rather than leaning on the OU as an external provider.

Plenty of people in industry who could help with resources - many ex services (and ex cadets). I’m sure there are in Space too.

1 Like

Was just thinking that it might make a good visit opportunity for the Cadets

Gold cyber is taught by RAF personal and quite linked to RAF polices on coping with attacks and attack vectors (more attacking than civvie equivalent course) but below that level the teaching is just making up for the lack of cyber security covered in schools. Important skills of course but it would work a lot better if everyone came in with a higher level of understanding from schools rather than the typical ‘don’t post stupid stuff online it never disappears’ they get from PSHE and e-safety.

Having it taught would also add to the quality of the silver badge. In my opinion it is the silver badge that requires the least amount of learning/effort to achieve but other may be easier and it’s just my own knowledge giving that bias.

1 Like

Honestly doing it in a pub would make it easier as I could easily think of some spirts analogies to describe it.
Carrying it with extra stuff outside the necessary info would mean that across the country actual knowledge gained and effort to get from it would vary massively but I suppose we can only pretend to be standardised so much.

Wasn’t the release date of the syllabus due to be January 23? Has anyone heard of any progress?

Training Hub says “beginning of 2023” so could be March time?

Mind you apparently the ACTO still says October 2021 so who knows?

Maybe the problem is that HQ are not using the Gregorian calendar.

Perhaps fittingly it’s on a lunar calendar :slight_smile:

2 Likes