Return of ATF

I don’t know why we continue with this probationary period, because it isn’t really a probationary period. It depends completely on how quick you can get on a course, for both my AWO and initial officer, I had completed each one within 6 months, while others took longer. Under whatever name the uniformed staff training at HQAC level has never really been fit for purpose. Lack of courses for school staff, weeks not running courses, cancelling courses, is shocking. What else have these people got to do? There seems to be too much focus on numbers attending, rather than running courses to make things easier for people needing to fit it in with their real work. I have seen people told a week before, not enough people attending so it’s cancelled which is poor. TBH they should run SNCO, initial and ‘senior’ officer once a month on rotation, for importantly as many as can make it. Also why not run the initial staff courses as mixed courses, the basic information is essentially the same. We are all in this to do the same thing. If there is a real need for different things, split the group.

No. You have to do one year in post and attend OIC before being gazetted and getting your scroll. They backdate it to your appointment date though.

My member of staff said it was ok, the content was enjoyable enough but really missed the opportunity to get to know others.

1 Like

Looks like the first officers graduated OIC module 1 at ATF… Congrats to them!

2 Likes

Best part of OIC was the people, hands down. I enjoyed the course, but the people made it. Still in touch with most and would say I’ll remain friends with them throughout the rest of my RAFAC career.

2 Likes

Yeah agree… Great effort by ATF though!

Now how do I get one of those gucci whiteboard/screen things

2 Likes

That’s the one thing I’m sad about for my upcoming OIC - not meeting everybody else on it. Everyone you speak to has great stories about the people they met on their courses.

That said, it is what it is, looks like a good job by ATF and they’ve put it together in a fairly short timeframe. So credit where it’s due.

It’s a massive shame. I may be giving my anonymity away here to people that were on my course, but we had some right good fun.

The highlight was an end of the week ‘social’ in the officers mess at Cranwell and the whole room erupting into cheers from the regulars when we raised a toast to ourselves for reaching graduation.

It was at this point, myself and a friend got chatting to some regulars and they couldn’t believe we do this “for free”. We were definitely made to feel welcome the whole week.

In hindsight, it’s sad because it’s these normal things that COVID is taking from us.

1 Like

Hopefully the Mod2 at Cranwell will provide an element of that. When are you on your OIC?

November… still looking forward to it and I guess that depends on what module 2 is… if it’s a day event or…??? I’ve not seen any details on what it will be.

I’ve been told it’s a two day course covering the drill and leadership exercises element. Probably arriving the night before. But you’ll probably be with different people than on Mod1.

1 Like

I genuinely hope so. I’m the only one from my OIC 16 years ago, that is still in the Corps. One officer sadly, died by his own hand a year or so after the course and I heard that the majority of others had resigned their commissions between 1 and 4 years after completing OIC.

1 Like

That’s really not a good rate!

I didn’t keep in contact with all but the few that I did I know are still in the Corps and really thriving (did mine 5 years ago and some have got wing posts and others been recognised by the Corps at large!).

my time at ATF was (just) before Facebook so very much “old school” in terms of staying in contact. We shared email addresses at the end of the course and within the week a few promised training aids offered by fellow classmates were circulated to the group. It went very silent very quickly though and upon reaching my CFM eligibility thought I’d dig out the emails and ask how many others were also applying….

I received a few bounce backs/undelivered as email accounts were closed down in that time (I guess) but otherwise silence. Although I still have the same email address predict in the last 20 years people have moved away from the likes of sexykitty99@ and john_the_strong@ nickname style email addresses and the inboxes for the addresses I have are not monitored anymore.

It would be curious to know where they are now. #memories #nostalgia

Apart from the death, my SCC is a similar story.
At last check only 2 of the entire 16 person course are still involved in the Corps.
:hushed:

How long ago was it, though? Just for perspective

I think we’re down to 3 or 4 out of 16. To be fair, 2 are now regulars. And one is VGS staff… So I’m not counting them! :joy:

1 Like

Between 3 and 9 years ago.
For my anonymity.

Five of my senior course (22 years ago) left after 18 months for various reasons and the last time there was any contact last Christmas only 2 of us left.

I attended one of the recent Virtual Courses - SSIC, and I thought it was a great reflection of how the Corps has progressed throughout COVID-19.

Modules Included:

• Roles & Responsibilities of an SNCO
  • Security
  • Instructor Techniques
  • Resilience and Stress
  • Leadership Theory
  • SMEAC Theory
  • Followership/Management
  • Health & Safety

The group was instructed as a whole but split into syndicate groups for activities throughout the two days!

A thoroughly enjoyable course, and a great way of getting staff through their training! The ATF Staff really made for a great atmosphere!

7 Likes