RAF Uniform H.M. King Charles III

The ATC has never gone away and really started to forced out when we had the rebrand from ACO to RAFAC. It didn’t help that a bunch of ATC types didn’t understand the rebrand because they thought ACO=ATC

What you should see is Sqns listed as

123 Sqn ATC, RAFAC

Most of the councillors and ex air cadets. It’s the wider known brand.

& I do on all my Sqn media instead of RAFAC, mainly to annoy the Wg Media Officer & the teachers pets :grin:

3 Likes

That’s a different matter altogether. You’re arguing a point of marketing. Everyone else is arguing a point of fact.

Air cadets seen in public wearing combats are almost universally referred to as Army Cadets. Doesn’t mean they are.

People get things wrong. This is one of those things.

We are the Air Training Corps, part of the Royal Air Force Air Cadets. And the enrollment oath still says you’re a member of the air training corps.

1 Like

That’s because there’s a great number of ATC Sqns who style themselves as 1234 Sqn RAF Air Cadets! You only have to look around on Facebook to see them.

When we first became RAFAC, there was a directive from on high (not sure exactly where) to categorically say you’re ATC within the RAFAC. Unfortunately, either it doesn’t seem to have stuck, or is being deliberately ignored.

2 Likes

Or some people are just thick?

RAFAC replaced ACO it wasn’t a hard concept.

4 Likes

True, but having RAFAC after your Sqn number looks ‘punchier’ than ATC and could well appeal to the waltier members of our organisation!

Personally I think the confusion started with the change from VR to CF commissions. Now that all Officers and SNCOs have RAFAC on their shoulders that is who people think we are as an org. In particular dropping the ATC pins on SNCO No 1s and replacing them with RAFAC pins confirmed in many peoples minds that ATC was on the way out.

Well if RAFAC was not be used in place of ATC then the RAFAC pins would be a waste of money

2 Likes

But how many people on here still refer to the ACO?

1 Like

I refer you to my original point

At the same time this is the issue with pointless rebrands, the change has achieved absolutely nothing and was done for no real reason.

2 Likes

Whilst this is getting a little off topic, I not in the press release for the cadet forces participation that there are still separate banners, one for the ATC one for the CCF & there isn’t a banner for RAFAC. Until that changes it’s always going to be separate….

2 Likes

Literally everyone I ever meet on an RAF station, even when the group visiting (or the entire camp) is CCF…

Superior force thats why :smile::upside_down_face::yum::smirk:

1 Like

Not being picky and a little off-topic but there was no such thing as a VR(T) commission. We were commissioned into the Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve or RAFVR.

You don’t see a regular engineering officers signature block stating: “Flt Lt J Bloggs RAF(Eng)” or a Regiment officer signing: "Fg Off Fred Smith RAF(Regt).

2 Likes

Anyone else spot the dual Cipher on the Prince of Wales’ uniform?

7 Likes

Good spot. I’ve just been reading that William is the first person to be appointed as ADC to two monarchs since Lord Mountbatten.

This makes no sense. Surely hes only ADC to one at a time? I.e. the living one.

I believe that once you have been an ADC you retain the right to wear the Cipher

4 Likes

Mountbatten had three ciphers.

6 Likes

Does anyone know if ADCs got a cypher for Edward VIII? Would imagine that would be an easy three cyphers for ADCs in 1936; George V, Edward VIII and George VI.

Is that how Mountbatten got 3?