Quick Questions…

With or without piano?

Might be worth getting in contact with Sqn Ldr TofL to see if they have any suggestions!

Am I being silly or is it just a bit of cloth? What’s stopping you from just putting it in the bin?

4 Likes

I tried emailing him last year, never got a response.

1 Like

Absolutely nothing - these are ensigns not banners/standards

however I would suggest asking other ATC sqns if they want them first before disposal.

Used respectfully they can be good room dressing for Sqn awards evenings or dining in nights & other high profile events.

If you really not keen on binning them why not donate them to your local town museum for posterity particularly the ATC one.

Just make sure they aren’t on inventory first!

2 Likes

It’s no longer an annually produced letter but a standing item in a JSP. Unfortunately, I cannot remember which one!

Does any other unit want them?

if they were in any state to be flown we would, but they are so worn and tattered it would be silly to offer them up

Have you thought about framing them and displaying in an office, training room, corridor, etc?

3 Likes

Like these :slight_smile: One is now in Australia and the other in USA.

1 Like

The Pers Form 2-10 needs counter signing by contingent commander. As I’m on ELA (Well, the approved time has expired but I’m still on ELA according to the system) do I send it straight to Region/HQAC? Or do I still send it to the school first and hope they actually process it?

Shouldn’t the SSI deputise for such things if the CC is away?

(Unless it’s SSI pay forms)

The CC is still there, but I’m not sure I’m technically on there books there at the moment due to ELA

QQ: Altitude sickness.

Anyone here experienced with preventing altitude sickness?

I have to make a journey by road next week that will take me from sea level to over 14,000ft en route before dropping back to 10,000ft for the overnight stop. The next day I’ll do the journey in reverse.

There’s no option for me to do the journey more slowly, nor to fly between the start and end.

Anyone have any tips, including old wives tales, that might help prevent the onset of altitude sickness? I’m visiting the market tomorrow to look for coca leaves, as a friend highly recommends them.

1. Time slowly ascending to altitude to adapt is important.

2. Dont do it if you have a cold, or an underlying heart or lung condition. Even if just suspected. Just dont.

3. General fitness needs to be good. Are you fit?

4. If in doubt, stop and decend.

If youre worried dont be.
Passenger oxygen doesnt tend to deploy until 14000 cabin altitude.
You can be fine at 14000 indefinitly.

HOWEVER.
if youre unfit, unwell or a smoker, dont go.

2 Likes

It can affect everyone differently, so even if you are fit and well you could get stung by it. Going up to 4000 ISH m and then descending will help, definitely. 3000m is also not that high in the grand scheme of things; the Salkantay pass goes to 4600m and that’s a tourist trek alternative to Macchu Picchu - you notice the altitude along with the exertion going over that, but not terribly.

Hydration is a big one - drink lots.

1 Like

Fun fact: time spent asleep doesn’t count towards time served acclimatising.

*I was told that a very long time ago and so I’m happy to give way to someone with a more credible citation.

1 Like

Didn’t a tog gear special feature caramelised cocain as a local remedy? Or was it caramelised coca?

1 Like

Thanks all - sounds like it shouldn’t be too big a deal.

Of course, there’s only one way to find out.

For another POV. I have previously had pretty bad altitude around 4000m. Excruciating headaches, and had to descend, which fixed the problem. But, for context, I had been trekking for a couple of days. It was bloody hot, and I was also a smoker at the time.

Given you are fitter and healthier than I was/am, and you’ll be driving, you should be fine! But then again, altitude seems to effect people somewhat randomly.

1 Like