Quick Questions…

Ultimately we’re going to have to do this at some point. I don’t know when the RFCAs are going to install power/charging points for them but they’ll have to get on it soon.

I discussed with a colleague the other day why don’t they put solar panels on all our buildings. They must be able to make money on that given the limited use we have for energy in them.

1 Like

The trouble with solar panels is that you don’t make much on what you put back into the grid. We recently did a big install at work and were advised (with figures that all made sense) to put just enough in to cover what we use, or maybe just a little short, so your bill is minimal…

But the benefit you get is the saving on what you would use. It is very hard to make enough back through supplying the grid. This was all based on commercial rates for a large install though.

Edit to add, it would probably require a lot of new meter installs as well, which would take a long time.

Huge topic - with all normal parade nights after 1900 hrs, you would probably need a (large) battery storage facility for some kind for direct “usage” benefit. That said, selling back to grid might be of use?

Battery / solar to e-vehicles is very feasible - have that option on our home set-up. However, DC (battery) & AC (grid) = hybrid inverter = more expensive than just AC inverter.

You’re looking at £15-£16k(??) for 9-10 panels, inverter, 13Kwh battery, car charger + installation. Prices are coming down slowly & panel power output is increasing.

Typical prices for batteries / inverter “package.” You can look at all the other stuff too.

No experience of electric buses However, I would not want to rely on the single charge at start to cover 100-100 trip. If you can, once cadets are at AEF/VGS send driver to local service station to charge it up for the return trip. You will still be required to leave an appropriate CFAV with the cadets whilst this is happening.
One thing we have learned that hire companies and garages at point of sale of such vehicles do not always hand them over fully charged.

1 Like

Putting solar on new builds should be part of the package.

Doubt it would happen to our building as it would be on a listed building and within a conservation zone (more paperwork required…)

1 Like

realistically how much electricity do you think a parade night takes up?

I had solar panels installed earlier this year and have a 6.4kWh battery - that is enough energy to run 6.4kW of power for one hour.
or 3.2kW for two hours.
or 2.56kW for 2.5 hours

the “average laptop” used 70 watts per hour, or 0.070kWh a “Full” 6.4kWh battery could run 36 laptops for the full parade night.

But that is just the laptop, we need to consider lighting.
A florecent tube light bulb uses 15 watts of power - or 0.015kWh per bulb.
lets say a building has 24 - 6 rooms each with 4 => 0.36kWh pr 0.9kW for the 2.5 hours of a parade night.

that still leaves 5.3kWhs for everything else. now the tricky part will be the heating - as that is universally (in my experience) electric - this will cause no issue in the summer, but is likely to eat into the battery power in the winter.

however I suggest 8-9 months of the year a 6.4kWh battery would be sufficient.

this has validity - except the ATC huts are empty 7 days a week, used only 2-3 nights a week (weekends excluded.

While in 2 months I have exported 50kWh to the grid (~£7.50 as the lowest rate) that is because I am using the electricity to power the house while I am in it. Sqn buildings do not have an extremely low “background” usage which remains that way for 160 hours of the week - thus much more of the electricity would be sent back meaning a better rate of return

Youll be lucky.

Loaded up and in winter, youd get 60miles at best.

1 Like

Is that based on your actual usage of electric vehicles or guess work/secondhand opinion? It would pretty much discount the use of these vehicles for us.

Well, my 3 cups of coffee per parade evening will soon hit that with the kettle. :wink:

3 Likes

I wouldn’t trust any figures that they put out for range. My Tesla isn’t far off what it says it will do but that is under the manufacturer estimate. My Seat Mii electric is miles off being accurate from what even it says it will do.

The biggest issues that sap the electric are the cold and speed, weight isn’t so much of an issue due to the increased torque but lots of examples of electric cars towing see a big reduction in mileage. That could be aerodynamics as much as weight.

2 Likes

Based on experience of owning electiec vehicles and electric cars via work.

You wont get anymore than 85% stated mileage. Thats in beat conditions and empty.

Throw in…
The cold
Heavy load
Poor weather
Using radio, heat, lights etc
Motorway driving.

You would be lucky to get 60%. Very lucky.

1 Like

Boil once, into flask…

Won’t someone think about the environment!!!

That for me is just before the cadets arrive :grimacing:

How early is too early to go to bed on New Year’s Eve?

It’s 2024 already in parts of the world so just pretend you’re on Kiwi time and go to bed whenever you want

Some of my mates over there will be getting up soon. I’ll have to ask them if 2024 has any nasty surprises for us yet

1 Like

I’ll probably be in bed at about 2100.

Toddler that doesn’t respect my night times means I’ll be up at 0600. So better get some sleep.

1 Like

I’ll probably not be long after that myself and I can’t blame a toddler; I’m just boring.

Ear plugs ready, running kit by the bed ready to complete what should have been today’s long run had I not gone out so hard at yesterday’s parkrun.

Does anyone know whether Alpkit offer DofE/Military discount?

On a related note does anyone own a Jura smock and have any opinions on it?

As far as I can establish, only for US military.