Proposed Changes to Civilian Committees

The ACF make it work, I would assume that you would just appeal the discussion to the next level up as unreasonable.

Difficult to tell when all you ever post is hyperbole :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Or even personal animus between the two protagonists as well may stop or hinder actions.

1 Like

Have you never known personal animosity between a chairman and an OC?

1 Like

Actually no. Not on any of the units i have commanded nor on any i know of.

… maybe its unique to your area?

I’ve moved around and know it plenty, far more often than falling out with Sector Commanders (I’ve only had 1 of them be crap).

The new Wing Chair has instructed all DF Civ Coms to merge with their Sqn Civ Coms - no separate Civ Com, no separate bank accounts - this is causing utter carnage. Some DFs are hours away from their Sqn. Our DF is 30 mins away so manageable but at the moment are not willing to put their small amount of money into our large amount of money as they feel they will loose control of it - despite many assurances

According to the Chair it’s the rules - I’ve never known it anywhere else but I’ve also not read the ACPs recently either to argue it and as I’m no longer an OC it’s not my trainset / argument to have.

There is enough bad feeling flying about over this change, I cannot see the proposed centralising of funds going down well at all.

5 Likes

Can anyone confirm that there has actually been a meeting today? And if so what was actually discussed?

Nope but I have upwards of that and if Wing staff are involved then yes.

Under what powers does the Wing chair do this??

1 Like

I’ve never known a DF to have a separate account/committee. But the ones I’ve dealt with have always been overflows rather than trying to form new Sqiadrons.

Considering that (allegedly) cost Babs Cooper (remember her?) her job committees do seem the third rail of the ATC (touch it & you due).

Anyone want to do a FOI request? Interestingly the ACF model was considered the most expensive of the cadet models with the sea cadets (where each unit is a separate registered charity) being the cheapest in the public purse.

But unfortunately that’s the nature of a volunteer organisation - if you’re too risk averse that you need control then you can’t have volunteers.

2 Likes

Heres the solution.

HQAC buys and provides centrally provided bank accounts AND proffesional accounting software for EACH sqn and DF.

Therefore.improving governance.
HQAC builds in its direct access to be able to.audit all accounts, payments, tranfers etc.

No payments to be made out of the account unless backed up by a trackable receipt.

Simples.

Status quo, but with improved accounting, governance and assurance.

2 Likes

And acceptable to the Royal Navy… And therefore the MoD. Which must mean the risk issue - once again - is RAF based??

To fair, whilst the SCC model is cheap, their over heads are higher, fundraising is therefore more critical and would break and bankrupt many squadrons!

2 Likes

But as proper Charities they are properly regulated, because of our weird halfway house they aren’t really answerable to anyone on the same way.

I personally think and have done for a whole that making every unit an independent charity is a good thing (being h able to claim back gift aid on street donations, more able to claim back VAT etc).

2 Likes

Wholeheartedly agree!! So many more positives than both the current model - and the ACF model! Unless, of course, you’re HQAC and can only see one way out of this issue!!

5 Likes

HQAC don’t like looking to the SCC for examples for some reason.

I’ve been involved with quite a few DF’s over the years, all have had separate bank accounts so I found this move a bit strange. Some have had an overlap of committee members, depending how close they were to the Sqn but generally were completely separate to the Sqn.

If Sqns loose control of their money then they’ll lose their SOV too…or expect that as a CWC asset to become Wing controlled.

Our unit raises funds to kero the bus on the road; insurance, tax, MOT, fuel (that cant be claimed on a F1771…which we all know doesn’t cover today’s fuel price) plus the addition inspections required brought in recently.

Lets let’s say we raise £3500 pa, and £2000 goes towards the bus, £500 towards a bus replacement fund and the rest of other unit spending.

Losing control of that £2000 could mean the bus isn’t viable anymore as Wing won’t release tge funds for the insurance or other expense…HQAC killing the SOV from the financial angle?

2 Likes

On more likly, Wing will reallocate to their favourite/pet squadron for something that is a consumable such as new polo tops rather than something that would enable the less favoured Sqn to succeed in delivery.

3 Likes

Just a question, is there anything stopping squadrons registering as such anyway?

I know most don’t but similar to the old permit 19 we could go through the initial HQAC route but we could always have gone through the direct more intensive route but giving a a longer security.

I think some squadrons are registered as a separate charity so any reason why we can’t under a weird quirk of charity law?