Proposed Changes to Civilian Committees

This is the bit I mean. Unless there is a very robust method of getting out exactly the same as you put in, with nobody interfering and suggesting you shouldn’t be getting the things you want, I can’t see why sqns wouldn’t refuse to add to the pot and simply stop fundraising.

If (and yes, big if based on speculation) we can’t control what the funds are spent on, why add to them?

3 Likes

It does mean people outside your Squadron have control of your money which you raised, therefore control of how you spend it as it’s not your money any longer. This has been on the horizon for a long time and the use of SOVs was to Squadrons a big ticket item for the Civ Coms cost base, remove SOVs and the funds upwards may increase.

The best bit about this idea if it is true HQ RAFAC or Corps/Regional/Wing Civcom have no actual control over Sqn Civcom when solely acting as Trustees of The Non Public Charitable funds as they are independent charities. The corps found this out the hard way with Thurston? Sqn. (If anyone not aware of that read the FOI documents on Whatdotheyknow it’s amazing). How they think they are going to force all those independent charities to give up between them Millions of Pounds. Only way is potentially ordering CFAVs to not interact or accept anything from 123 Sqn Charity and refusing cadets permission to fundraise for it.

1 Like

And the cadets as the ones losing out, plus if 123 Sqn charity and many others join together in a complaint to the charity commission or involve lawyers, it could get very messy.

I can see some pluses to having a central account (as the ACF does) with wings collecting, and so presumably also chasing up, subs.

But then wings would also need to organise payment of costs such as insurances, broadband etc. And reimbursing staff for dull but vital supplies such as loo roll.

4 Likes

I have heard a rumour (unsure if true) that the Commandant has resigned from the Corps General Purpose Fund. Ie the corps equivalent of the Sqn Civcom as he views it is a conflict of interest to his uniformed role. Anyone know if that’s true?

1 Like

More permanent staff then and more administration burden downwards, weeks to get a reply etc. More empires to be built, they don’t build themselves you know.

1 Like

Isn’t this the whole reason we are aligning with RFCA’s? To move to the ACF model?

As I understand it 123 Detachment raise funds which go into 123 Detachments bank account. If OC 123 Detachment wants to spend said funds they make the decision with a rationale which is signed off by A Company OC. Money is spent and RFCA look after the annual audit.

So for us it would be Squadron raise funds which go into Squadron account. Spending is then authorised by Wing/Sector and RFCA audit the spending.

We discussed all this when we were trying to work out the reasons for the boundary changes.

@bob ahh but remember the wing fund is also a charity and not government funding so can’t have permanent civil service staff running and managing it. That means either. A volunteer treasurer (same as Sqn) or paying for an accountant (costs money less for cadets) has to run it.

1 Like

Who is to say that the Wing fund couldn’t employ someone as a manager of the fund.

@bob they could do so but as I mention above when I mention the potential for an accountant
then they would need to spend the money raised by the sqns to pay for that. Leaving less money for spending on the cadets. Would you go an organise a bag pack or fundraising if you knew a chunk of the money was being paid for a fund manager which had previously been done voluntary?

2 Likes

Wasn’t the idea of alinement that one Wing/rRegion didn’t have to deal with multiple RFCAs with multiple different police’s and arrangements?

1 Like

It was to align Regions to RFCA, their was never any real explanation given and one of the working theories (considering what El Commandante had already said about CWC) was that it was for this very reason.

That’s how I read what others are saying.

So if that is the case, why should I continue putting in?

2 Likes

El Commandante as you term him has obviously never dealt with civilians he can’t order about. A product of life behind the wire sort of speak.

2 Likes

As it stands in most units it’s the staff and cadets that do the fundraising and the committee that do the spending. With my old OC’s hat on being able to decide what I want to spend it on (and then getting another volunteer at wing level to say yes) rather than being at the whim of the chairman wouldn’t be the disaster you are all making it out to be.

Of the CWCs I’ve worked with, although it’s them spending the money, they’re done it based off of OC/other staff recommendation.

1 Like

900ish Committees out their, standards vary enormously. Plenty with Chairman who used to be OC’s that think they still run the unit and that the things they needed in 1980’s are what the unit needs today.

Plenty of others that just won’t spend any cash!

6 Likes

Yeah, fair enough. Agree with you there.

Only if they agree.
What if i want to spend money on new radios or a new sim. But sector.or wing doesnt like those things becuase they are an AT nut?

This is going to get very messy, very fast.
I genuinely believe. Beyond hyperbole, that this will mark a clear start of the end.

3 Likes