Platinum Jubilee

It’s just all a bit pointless.

I’m eligible, but not directly through CFAV time and won’t get it without “appealing”, which I have zero intention of doing.

1 Like

No issues with there being criteria for the award, I meet the criteria with years and years to spare and I fully appreciate that a bar has to be set for who is eligible. What I resent is the way that the application process has been administered, the lack of clarity on the requirements for accrued regular service, and the fact that only now, once several veteran CFAV’s have queried it, clarity has come with a 14 day time limit to provide the proof that the cadet organisations already have on file, easily accessible via service number. It’s not so easy for the veteran himself, as an application for a certificate of service takes up to three or four months to arrive.
My thoughts on the award itself are a side issue. As I said, I appreciate that I’m probably in a minority. I just don’t like the way that those who have had regular service and DO want the medal are unfairly disadvantaged and are then required to sort the problem themselves. You would assume that of any civvy entity, the Cadet organisation would be the one to uphold the Armed Forces Covenant. It seems not.

I don’t think it’s as easy as you suggest.

I know for a fact that the air cadets has zero details of my prior service and therefore wouldn’t be in any place to substantiate whatever time I may or may not have to contribute towards a medal.

And, frankly, having seen how the air cadets deals with details like that, I wouldn’t want them to have it either.

Maybe different with RAFAC, I’m CCF. But when I queried whether my regular SAAI qual was still valid, the admin at our brigade hq had details on screen of every course I did as a regular within about 45 seconds.

I don’t feel like it’s entirely fair to bundle this onto RAFAC and HQ (as much as we all bemoan them). They follow the guidance set down and if you say “actually I do qualify” then they ask for proof which I think is fair. The timescales may be onerous but they don’t have control over you having to wait three or four months for a certificate of service. Surely the blame should be pushed back to the organisation with more full time staff and no doubt people who can presumably get the information quite quickly (i.e. MOD)?

1 Like

That will be their access and knowledge, I would put money on any HQ formation not including that in their data about you and certainly not factoring it in to any medal request.

On the basis you are 1 in about 10,000 volunteers they may be looking at I can understand why they aren’t going through every single person and rely on those who aren’t the normal time served CFAV to stand up and ask to be counted.

As you said its not RAFAC in this case, the DIN is from ModMo and they set the rules - for the last medal people kicked off (inc regulars) because they were 1 day off the qualification… same for many other medals

2 Likes

On the flip side the requirement for my CC to sign off the medal means that a useless staff member who never does anything but show up for the big items isn’t getting it as he’s not done enough days this training year. He’s been crying on the phone to me all afternoon since finding out. I’ve suggested he finds courses/volunteers meaningfully with the local ATC unit we’re friends with to get his seven needed days this month, otherwise I have no sympathy.
If you’re in the org solely for medals then you don’t deserve to be in. Likewise, if you have a mixed service over different organisations (we are not the armed forces) and can’t be bothered to apply for the medal then that’s fine but don’t put down those that do apply on the basis that they haven’t done proper military service because that’s not what it’s for (unless they use it for walting/bloating when they are fair game).

8 Likes

I know a few like that…

2 Likes

The amount of CFAV’s that I’ve seen on SMS events for random events/course the last few weeks who would normally never take part in those types of events have been intense. Lots of last minute courses as well suddenly appearing before the end of this TY after which it all goes quiet again. Wonder how many of them were short of the 10 days for this year……

4 Likes

Itll be the flip… How many leave once they have the medal in their mits

1 Like

To be fair many of them may have already had enough and I may not begrudge then hanging on long enough to get something to show for it.

3 Likes

That is also true I am aware of a few people locally who have started the resignation process but they seem to have been holding off till the end of the TY to sign the paperwork even tho they have already made the decision and everyone is aware of it.

Most of those I’m aware of haven’t done 12 years including other eligible service categories so aren’t eligible for the CFM so the QPJM would be their only Medallic recognition so they have held out for it. Would be interesting to see any data on uniformed CFAV’s resignations in the first 2/3 months of TY 22/23.

You get this in all organisations and it’s easy to spot the medal marchers as in the last twelve months they tail off but just enough to remain eligible.

No different from some people in companies holding out for their pension or to go up a band on the redundancy calculator.

2 Likes

I know of a least one that has a Queens Crown - so assuming there could be few more

1 Like

There should be no ATC units using the Queen’s Crown on their badge, any that are are incorrectly doing so.

1 Like

This whole thread has been running for quite a while now but has anyone actually been notified that they QDJM yet, or actually know anyone that has.

RAFAC wont know until after 10th May

I know a few folk who already have the ribbon on their N1s/ have worn miniature on mess dress at recent functions but I’m assuming they have been informed their eligible via their day jobs otherwise could be embarrassing when the RAFAC list comes out

Soooo you could wear the ribbon and minature medal from feb.

So either day job awarded them or they are assuming they are getting it… Dangerous game for some paying out to potentially be told not eligible.