Parachuting Courses back on?

Since the SO2 Trg Assurance, (or somebody at a desk close to him/her) is lurking on this forum, can I make a suggestion, which, when passed on, may earn them brownie points.

The precedent for awarding a badge for an activity outside of cadets has already been set, (civilian wings for flying solo at an ATO or BGA club).
So….as an interim measure for the suspension of parachuting through RAFAC, (which, let’s be honest, will last years and years)….why not produce and award a ‘civilian’ parachute badge for a jump carried out external to cadets?

Cadets happy….they can strut round with a parachute badge!

HQAC happy….no risk to them!

12 Likes

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: Space Syllabus & Badges

Never happen :roll_eyes:

I thought everyone would be please to hear that the Army Cadets can use the Army Parachute Association. . .

2 Likes

Actually speechless.

So does this mean that CCF(RAF) can access the parachuting courses through the army side & get the badge that way?

2 Likes

sure, why not.

2 Likes

Can someone tell me why we are held back so much by our lords and masters.

Scouts fly more than we do.
Now the army prachutes more than us.

Come on…

2 Likes

I suspect that only The Right Honerable Member for Wells can get that answer. . .

Or whoever is Minister of State for the Armed Forces next week.

I wish there was an angry react. That SM post takes the absolute

It’s already been established in previous discussions on this subject that the ACF have ‘assured’ the APA at Netheravon and thus they are an authorised civilian provider.

The question has also been asked as to why we can’t read across that assurance - but either way similar assurance has also been requested via HQAC and nothing (apparently) has happened.

Scotland & NI Region have assured civilian providers, but there doesn’t seem to be the appetite / capacity to do that for other regions.

We had a kerfuffle trying to use a high ropes course at an RAF station with their instructors outside of a summer camp.

Apparently they weren’t on this supposed approved list of external company providers, which they weren’t because they were internal to the RAF. I suspect something similar is happening.with parachuting.

I thought the assurance was to be done 22gp level, rather than RAFAC regional level?

It is - by the Robson resilience acadamy or whatever it’s called. Assurance has to be requested by the RC though.

But it is a case that someone in 22Gp had approved, only to have our Lordship to say no when it hit HQAC.

Can we keep this to discussion about jumping out of planes?

2 Likes

So have just seen this poster on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/rwjthomas/status/1604882051064336384?s=46&t=vcHwadeBq1uapByIcr1vAQ

What’s the betting that all UK parachuting courses will be mothballed & everything will be done in Canada now.

The lack of aircraft certainly won’t help but that is becoming the RAFs things now.

1 Like

Cost cutting idea: disband the RAF and hand UK and ROI air defence to the RAF

Don’t come at me that was a joke​:sweat_smile::joy:

1 Like

The RAF has been using skyvans to the WotG site for years operating out of Kiddlington.

It’s been mentioned elsewhere that there has been an inquiry into a parachuting fatality. Here’s the report
Service Inquiry Into the death of a Royal Air Force parachute instructor at RAF Weston on the Green 2 September 2021
Edit - hopefully fixed link

1 Like