Parachuting Courses back on?

On a serious note though, from memory; After a couple of squadrons went parachuting post pause there was an email from our TSA basically saying it shouldn’t have happened.

Email Nov 21:

Early in 2020 a change in the JSP’s covering AT and Cadet Organisations made it clear that the MOD policy on AT does not apply to the cadet organisations. That change has effectively closed off sports parachuting with JSPC / JSPW (Weston on the Green and Netheravon). 22 Grp RAF have decreed that no parachuting will take place with 3rd party providers unless they have been assured by 22 Grp. HQ RAFAC does not yet have any confirmation of assurance activity from 22Gp for any BPA affiliated organisations including the Army Parachuting Association. RAFAC must follow the firm direction from its parent service.

Sqn’s have continued to use the Army Parachuting Association since restart of F2F training. That was due to a lack of understanding of the difference between the Joint service Parachute Wing at Netheravon and the Army Parachute Association that is collocated at the site. Army Parachuting Association is a ‘not for profit’ organisation that takes civilian bookings. Despite many overlaps with the JSPW, and an excellent safety record, it is not part of the formal AT structure in the MOD.

The change in policy will be frustrating for many staff within our Region who have successfully used the Army Parachuting Association at Netheravon over many years. Our senior leadership at RAFAC HQ at Cranwell are in discussion with 22 Grp to see if there is a way through the impasse. Until that time no staff or cadets are to attend parachute training at APA Netheravon.

Are they?

14 Likes

Yeah that was probably me… Pure speculation, completely just my best guess, I’m in no way part of the decision or ‘in the know’ so, if it did come from me, it’s the opposite of gospel :scream:

Not that I want it to happen, just don’t know where else it would go🤔

1 Like

On top of the beret, looking towards the stars.

Per Ardua

2 Likes

My recent enquiry to the Army’s site at Nether, was a negative due to budget etc
The reply happened to be from on of our units ex cadets that now instructs parachuting in the Army. A contact worth keeping :grinning:

By the time we’re allowed back there they’ll have retired :wink:

i.e. the army cadets have used up the parachuting budget allocated to military youth organisations!

I was hoping for it being a brevet to follow in line with the new RAF Space badge. However, the new badge design is square and clearly looks like it is for the Brassard.

2 Likes

So was I. Personally I think that makes alot more sense and would keep space for all existing badges, but you’re right it looks like it’ll go on the brassard… Somewhere

1 Like

ACTO 54 was updated 7 hours ago detailing the parachuting pause. It’s basically reaffirming what was said previously.

I find it amusing that we have a Training Order that is essentially ‘you can’t do this training’.

5 Likes

It’s good that they have diversified beyond IBNs and Announcements saying the same.

I do find the blanket bans on all activity easier to navigate though instead of the hassle of navigating SharePoint and searching up emails, IBNs, ACTOs (and cousins), ACPs, and ACP300 to find the references…

1 Like

“Work is underway to gain formal RAF assurance of chosen civilian sites”

Hate to repeat myself, but…

9 Likes

No no, it’s true!

They just haven’t chosen any sites.

2 Likes

Remember… ‘forum talk costs activities’
:rofl::joy::rofl::joy::rofl::joy:

AKA. I’ve drafted an email.

2 Likes

Wasn’t this the wording for gliding, until they decided it was too hard to assure more than about 2 sites and then they didn’t have the staff and then the RAF provides enough anyway and at better quality so why would you go privately.

I foresee the same thing happening here. If the ACF can use it, it is either already assured or someone needs to urgently stop them from parachuting. The same risks apply to us both.

7 Likes

I chose two sites in W&W region several years ago, and wrote a formal request to have them assured which as far as I am aware went to the Robson Academy.

I’ve heard nothing.

If the RAF doesn’t have capacity to assure the activities then we should be engaging someone that does.

5 Likes

Why would you ask an Irish dancing place to assure parachuting? That’s clearly your mistake. :wink:
https://m.facebook.com/robsonirishacademymiddlesbrough/

But then they’d assurance that the company doing the assuring is assuring the other companies properly!

This.
This a million times.

3 Likes