Opinion of Female Skirt and Tights

I’d also have a read of annex D to ACP 20, the non-binary and transgender guidance policy. It takes its advice from The Equality Act and Gender Recognition Act and is actually quite useful!

1 Like

To be clear, that’s Annex D to Personnel Instruction 104 contained within ACP 20… But the whole PI is worth reading.

Gender neutral uniform is on the cards in due course.
The first step was a gender neutral policy to hair which came into force last October.

1 Like

Very possibly to do with the fact that even the slacks don’t fit well for a lot of people

1 Like

We issue lots of ours the male trousers instead of slacks due to comfort/fit, even then I can count on one hand how many female cadets have chosen to wear them routinely.

That’s because they are foul!

Accidentally issued some slacks to a male cadet once - took a year to notice he had no back pockets!!

1 Like

We used to have a pair of slacks that must have been a perfect fit for most cadets, I think I nearly issued them at least 5 times!

My Sqn as a cdt issued slacks to girls to wear with 2C - girls only wore skirts with 2A. It wasn’t till I moved sqns when I was staff I found that this was relatively unusual

Yes I think they are needed

What is 2c and 2a?

No 2A SD is light blue, long sleeved shirt and tie. Trousers/skirt. No jersey.
No 2C SD is your ‘working blues’ - Dark blue shirt - sleeves folded up or left down. Trousers/Skirt. Jersey or not as you desire.

1 Like

(for completeness: 2 is ‘full’ blues i.e. light blue shirt/tie/jersey; 2B is short sleeved shirt, no tie, which is currently staff only)

2 Likes

I agree with cadets becoming a gender neutral place with wearing any uniform you wish, be it boys wearing skirts

Although the skirts are more comfortable in my opionion

1 Like

I saw a picture from a halton pass-out parade and all females were in slacks rather thank skirts. I wonder if that a sign of things to come.

Uniform is on the astra agenda

I have never seen a male in a skirt at cadets. Let me know if anyone has

Given I’m ~your age, my Sqn were just obviously well ahead of the time :smiley:

1 Like

I thought it was already in AP1358 that they only wear trousers at ceremonial events and that it was just us who was the anomaly. (Don’t Band rules specify trousers/slacks?) It’s been a long time since uniform was high on my agenda.

From memory isn’t there some rule now about not wearing skirts when carrying weapons?

I am happy to stand corrected, just dredged up something deep down in my memory.

1 Like

Probably… I do need to swat up to be honest.

Band drill normally has slacks because of the placement of the snare drum support on the thigh… A mix and match of slacks and skirts is a no no

Arms drill - ground weapons and take up arms Involve knealing on the floor which is a challenge in a skirt so slacks seem to be of choice. Secondly when doing continuity drill slacks enable a full bend the knee position to help with the timings

1 Like

Yeah, trousers for ceremonial has been more and more common for a while now. I’d wager that it’s going to become the standard and that skirts will become the optional choice for working dress.

1 Like