Opinion of Female Skirt and Tights

Pretty sure you can do that now, I’ve worn a lovely pair of thermal tights when on the range in the past to keep me warm :slightly_smiling_face:

The beauty of wearing them with trousers is that so long as you wear your regulation black socks too no one will know or ask, so they can be any colour or thickness you like.

1 Like

On super cold days I’ll wear my running leggings under my uniform, I have God awful circulation and it has the bonus of holding the fat in

1 Like

Maybe just make them an optional item of clothing for all genders

Why though? They in effect already are. If someone wants to wear a skirt and tights and identify as female, they can (and vice versa). We’re not going to start asking for proof.

Which is an interesting point, I know of a school near me that has asked for parental consent for a child to identify as a different sex.

I guess it depends on the age of the child, but this isn’t what we’re talking about here.

Fact of the matter is you can wear whichever version of uniform you most identify with, but you can’t pick and choose half and half.

It seems we now have four separate threads to discuss the same topic (or at least returning to the same topic in each of the threads)… would it be wise for an admin to combine?

1 Like

Are male cadets allowed to wear female clothing to squadron?

If they identify as female/non-binary then I’d have no problem with it.

3 Likes

Yes if one identifies as female or non binary.

If anyone has an issue with that then refer them to IBN 40 2020 that allows one to vary their uniform depending on their needs in this area. This will also be part of the next update of 1358c

6 Likes

Yes. I suspect strictly the answer is no, as 1358C hasn’t been updated, but in practice the answer is definitely yes.

Wonder really if we ought to move to the model of e.g. Oxford University subfusc where gender isn’t specified at all - there are just two acceptable uniforms and you pick whichever you prefer.

5 Likes

This also brings the question.

Are skirts really needed? Why not a unisex based uniform, build around function rather than form.

If you get a response to your question at a local level, I would be interested in the response.

1 Like

I’ve wondered this when this discussion comes up - why not have trousers or slacks, and oxford shoes or the current court shoes.

Decide for yourself what is most comfortable, and wear it.

1 Like

I would be inclined to say we should just ditch the blue and move to PCS but I’m biased.

Agree that we should probably move our uniform regs to suit a none gender bias approach and work on a pattern of uniform instead of gender specific.

3 Likes

Please can we not.

I get that it is super practical but I think the RN bunch just look like they’ve turned up to service your boiler. It really isn’t very smart!

6 Likes

But then there some women who complain that PCS makes them look like a sack of potatoes… at least offering different cuts of uniform (remember the slacks are cut differently) gives them a choice.

1 Like

I actually quite like the RN PCS - we had a Commodore here to do our inspection in 2019 - he arrived in 1s but changed into 4s after parade for the rest of the day and did make it look pretty smart.

2 Likes

I think we all agree on the answer to the OP

With regard skirts/slacks - average 12-15 cadets that are issued both and only 1-2 at a time prefer to wear the slacks

As for PCS…yes so much easier to wear but RAF will never let us parade not in Blue as we are the Blue Footprint - so we will always need it - plus PCS in public looks so gash unless it is appropriate for the event - never looks good at Remembrance Sunday

Modernize the No2 yes - just so long as it does not end up looking like cheap leisure wear (no fleece caps and joggers)

3 Likes

4 Likes

I’ll take the pink, please.

1 Like