Office365 Migration - how's it going?

We could of course point to the same advice from the National Cyber Security Centre. . .

Seems to be broken again

Now iOS email?

eM Client seems to be working for me still, have you checked your password in the webmail (ensure you login fresh from an incognito/private browsing window otherwise it will use the cached cookie/session to log you in) -could be expired password or account locked for some reason.

Yeah - eM Client is now working, but iOS isnā€™t!

Update - removing the account and re-adding it seems to have solved the problem.

Do you all use the free license for eM client or the paid version? Iā€™ve just had the below email.

Our system recently flagged your Free license as it seems that it is not being used with a free email service but with a commercial domain instead, which does not comply with the terms and conditions of the Free eM Client license.
The Free license is for home use only, so whether you use it for business, at work, in school or in any other organization, you will have to re-activate eM Client with a Pro license.

Theyā€™ve obviously been on the lookout. I received one today too.

I plan to ignore it for the time being. Whatā€™s the worst theyā€™re going to do? Boot me? Then itā€™s back to using Outlook Woeful Access via a browser.

OWA wouldnā€™t be quite so bad if we could change the colour scheme for a start; though it still lacks all the helpful features - like having access to more than one account at a time; the ability to drag and drop between accounts; the ability to drag and drop to a filesystem for archiveā€¦

1 Like

My understanding is the work to move towards individual accounts and the better license went through CEB recently and has been authorised to happen. Should mean we can use outlook again.

1 Like

I hear the same.
Quite when though I donā€™t know.

In other news, back when we made the change to O365 the only ā€œpositiveā€ benefit advertised was Skype for Business.
To which we all thought ā€œWho cares!? We never use normal Skype so why do I care about a business versionā€.
What they should have done was point out MS Forms, MS Planner, MS Power Automateā€¦ Iā€™m making good use of all three of those nowā€¦
Also, the ability to set up contact groups - which brings with it group email addresses and our own sharepoint sitesā€¦ I can see that being particularly helpful provided someone doesnā€™t turn it all off when we get the new licence.
All the useful stuff! I wish Iā€™d gone nosing ages agoā€¦

What does that do?

It used to be called MS Flow.
Basically a Microsoft version of ā€œIf This Then Thatā€.
Setup triggers from various products (microsoft and Google are well supported as well as many others) apply some processing, and then create an output.

For example, I set up an MS form for cadets to use to request replacement uniform. They scan a QR code to go to the form, fill in the simple details, and then MS Power Automate processes it and creates a task card in MS Planner for me with the details populated as I wish.

I have a similar form and flow for them to report errors in their service record.

Then when the staff login to MS Planner each night all the new cards are there.

You can interface with SQL databases; excel spreadsheets; you name itā€¦
We should be able to process outlook Calendars and run triggers on emails/tasks/&c - but someone needs to turn on the functionality for it to connect to Outlook.

4 Likes

Would you consider talking to the VSDT and Bader Devā€™s about publishing a walkthrough/guide, like the recent Cadet Portal articles, about utilising our O365 licenses?

Iā€™m by no means an expert - Iā€™d never even heard of MS Planner or Power Automate until about 3 weeks ago, having been very much a Google Apps man for several years, and Iā€™m still finding my way (up until recently my exposure to MS products was very much limited to Office and Visual Studio). But Iā€™m happy to collaborate.

2 Likes

In lieu of HQAC-sanctioned O365 education, anyone got any info on the best resources for function insight and tutorials for using these things via the online channels (or can we download and use them offline through the main apps)?

I found them to be quite intuitive but Iā€™m sure there are probably plenty of online tutorials as they are standard microsoft products.

Iā€™m not sure whether there are desktop versions of any but I suspect that - like Outlook - our licence probably only applies to the online versions which can be found at:

MS Forms - forms.office.com
MS Planner - tasks.office.com
MS Power Automate - flow.microsoft.com

Sign in using your @aircadets.org details and have a play.

Power Automate is the more complicated of the three as there are so many potential options and a google for ā€œMS Flow tutorialā€ or similar will probably help.

1 Like

An update regards eM Client for those of us whoā€™ve been using itā€¦ Having recently received the ā€œWe donā€™t think you qualify for a free license - give us yer doshā€ email it has this evening stopped working.

Clearly not following the WinRAR business modelā€¦

1 Like

I too have been nobbled by eM Client, exchanged emails with them about the voluntary and charity nature of my use case and got an offer of a 30% discount but no more. They have kindly barred my 2 computers so I cannot even use it for my personal email even though that does qualify for the free license, thus I am not inclined to give them any money.

After 48 hours of trying alternatives etc, I found that you CAN use ActiveSync with Outlook - Microsoft just make it difficult because they donā€™t want you to.

First up, Iā€™ve tried this on two computers with -
Windows 10 with Outlook 2019
Excuse if this reads too like teach granny to suck eggs -

1. Quit Outlook completely.
  2. Open Control Panel (windows icon then type ā€œControl Panelā€)
  3. Click User Accounts
  4. Click Mail (Microsoft Outlook 2016)
  5. Click Client Email Accounts
  6. Click New
  7. ā€œManual setup of additional server typesā€ & Next
  8. ā€œExchange ActiveSyncā€ & Next
  9. Fill in. Mail server is ā€œoutlook.office365.comā€. Username is your full email address. & Next.

At this point you should get a ā€œTest Account Settingsā€ box which may hang around for a while. Wait for it to fail then continue.

1. Open Task Manager - Right click on the windows icon to find it.
  2. You will see ā€œWindows Host Processā€ and inside that ā€œMail Setup - Outlookā€.
  3. Highlight ā€œWindows Host Processā€ and click ā€œEnd Taskā€.
    13 Start Outlook as normal.

You should now find your BADER email box along with your other email boxes (if you have any).

I hope that helps. Its worked for me on two computers and all is syncing and working fine.

3 Likes