Office365 Migration - how's it going?

Hmmm.
I may have to upgrade Office from 2010 because it does not seem to support it.

Thanks for the tip.

This wins the internet for today. Worked for me!

Tip confirmed working with Office 2016.

Further digging suggests that it should be possible to connect to O365 with earlier versions (Office 2007 and 2010) as well… General setup explained here: https://help.ionline.co.za/article/99-setting-up-exchange-365-in-outlook-2010-and-2013 for those who are using it.

However the required option for “Anonymous Authentication” was missing for me.
No amount of googling could discover a solution. Everything just suggested that if the option is missing then you are missing updates for Office. I routinely kept my installation up to date so that was not my problem. Indeed, trying to install the various hotfixes which claimed to add the option failed (as expected) with the error “the expected product version was not found” - because my version was already newer.

Further update… It’s not a perfect solution.
Access to the “address book” directory seems to be missing so there is no autocomplete, Ctrl-K doesn’t work any more.

It is also no longer possible (as it used to be and as could be done in eM Client) to drag and drop between accounts.
That’s a bit of a shame.

It is somewhat ridiculous that any third party mail program which supports Exchange Web Services such as eM Client, Thunderbird (with the Exquilla add-on), Hexamail, and any number of free phone apps can make full use of the system with ease; yet Microsoft’s own Office Outlook can’t.

I wonder if they could speed up the movement to the individual accounts and access to Teams etc to help with the closing of units and remote meetings.

You folk all might be interested in this

https://rafac.sharepoint.com/sites/BADERHub/SitePages/Improved-Bader-Licences-(E1).aspx

7 Likes

Hello Outlook my old friend :smiley:

3 Likes

Update following my testing.

Those of us who have previously added our accounts to Outlook using the above hack will probably need to remove and re-add them to gain the full functionality (I had to). The automatic setup works.

After that we have access to account profile (photos &c), mailbox cleanup, and server rules.
We can again drag and drop email into other accounts.
Ctrl-K works.
Any group contacts we have created are back (they did not appear in Outlook using the hack).

Outlook 2010 still fails to accept the account, as it did using the hack, presumably still owing to the lack of anonymous authentication. If that authentication method is present I would assume it should work.

I suspect that teams will be useful once they turn it on.

I wonder whether the Outlook connector in MS Power Automate (MS Flow) is working now… Yes it is.

BE WARNED
Adding the accounts to my main outlook profile has gone and reset it, deleting all my personal inbox rules. I’d back things up first if I were you…

Further… It has also somehow linked my personal inbox with one of the three Bader accounts I’ve setup. Now all the personal inbox rules I have imported back in have been pushed to the Bader server. FFS

I recall having this problem way back when adding bader accounts to Outlook. I got around it back then by setting up a separate Outlook profile for Bader mail and using ExtraOutlook to run two separate instances at the same time - one for each profile.
Sadly, ExtraOutlook does not work with Office 2016, and Bader O365 doesn’t work with Office 2010… Grrrr.

Further investigation into my above issue…

For some bizarre reason known only to Microshaft, whilst Outlook lets you separately edit rules for each of multiple exchange accounts, it forces a link between the primary exchange account (the first one you add) and any POP3 accounts which are also present in the profile. I have yet to discover what else it might also link.

It does not seem to be possible to prevent this behaviour.

Option 1 is to first export any inbox rules BEFORE adding the exchange accounts (otherwise you’ll find that your rules have vanished. In that case you’ll need to remove all the exchange accounts - your original inbox rules will then reappear after restarting Outlook).

You can then add the exchange accounts (consider that the one you add first will become the primary account and your new rules will be uploaded to it - probably best not to use the generic account if you can avoid it) then import the rules you exported in the previous step. They will still be stored on the Bader server (and will be listed in the settings for anyone accessing that account).
They must be edited in Outlook to tick the box for “on this computer only” and/or “through the specified account” (and select the appropriate POP3 account).
Doing this will prevent the Bader server from trying to run them.

Option 2 would be to replace the POP3 access to your personal email with IMAP since Outlook doesn’t link IMAP with exchange.

Which accounts have now had Teams enabled?

looks like bader emails have, staff anyway

All BADER accounts

cadets one not activated as of yet

Enabled, yes, although I don’t think I have permission to create new teams?

Please read this update relating to the first phase of the Microsoft Teams rollout before making requests.

https://rafac.sharepoint.com/sites/BADERHub/SitePages/Microsoft-Teams-Deployment---Phase-1.aspx

Ahhh. That makes sense :slight_smile:
Thanks. Watching the conversation in the Teams Engagement team as well now :+1:

What a hoot that is…

“I can’t create a team”
“We know, it’s not set up”
…
“I want to create a team”
“You can’t yet”
…
“When I can I create a team?”
“Soon, maybe, we’re working on it.”

2 Likes

The Bader team are working to push things out as quickly as they can - patience. You are not just going to be allowed to create things without it going through a process, otherwise we will end up with another sharepoint mess.

7 Likes

Though interestingly I was playing about before the update and discovered that I can create teams for the existing “groups” which I created a few weeks ago.

Though this brings with it another typically irritating Microshaft quirk… Once a team has been added to a group it’s fixed and apparently inseparable. I now can not delete my testbed team without also deleting the group - which would then take with it the entire MS Planner board that we are all using routinely, as well as the sharepoint site I created.

And of course in their typical style Microshaft don’t provide a backup or export option for MS Planner.
FFS