New small bore rifle manual

Welcome to our world. The main issue is the ‘rules’ are word of mouth, nothing officially promulgated. I only found out about the AED one when the activity bounced. Most RtL activities are approved by the RC too - he wants a specific admin order for every single activity, but no template has been provided - so we guess :woman_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

We are on a complete stop to all live-firing, including AR, until we get one of these new fancy MedMod069 first aid kits that don’t actually seem to exist on our 10m indoor AR range. I’ve been told that they include a tourniquet so that the first aider on the range must have FA training that includes the use of a tourniquet, and unless you do, even if you have one of these new bits of kit you still can’t shoot.

2 Likes

Where are you in the country? You should read this. TL;DR is you can do AR shooting without a medmod069 so long as you have a standard EFAW FA kit to hand. This is org wide, or at least should be!

If this is all true, RC SW needs the boot and fast.

3 Likes

I give up! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

ps not in SW either

It may well just be that those above you are mis-informed. I’d suggest emailing your TSA and asking what the deal is. And if that doesn’t work out, email the sponsor of that notice (Spencer, email on the notice) or failing that PM/email @dazizian and he might be able to sort you out :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Central & East and we are in the same boat.

1 Like

@dazizian is there going to be a review of the badging at any point?

Shooting is very much an anomaly in that the PTS badges are used to define the rifle type rather than the level of achievement.

Surely it would make more sense for all of the Trained Shot badges to be blue and the Marksman to be bronze and so on? With the shape of the badge defining what rifle was used?

2 Likes

The top tier is also odd as it, iirc, only requires you to take part in a competition. You may be as good at aiming as a stormtrooper and just there to make up the numbers but you still get the top badge

2 Likes

Shooting is progressive, so you need to have completed the previous lessons to be able to compete.

1 Like

I know cadets on squadrons that have gone straight from trained shot to the competition badge. We have cadets on it the contingent also on ATC squadrons and they have come in with the sudden jump in badge

:eyes::eyes:

Words

2 Likes

Oops. Would appear that I don’t type “shot” that often. Thank you autocorrect

2 Likes

They shouldn’t be, they need to have down all of the lessons. That being said with a good shooter you can fly through. (As Marksman and Advanced Marksman the only difference is score).

The difficult one is standing as that’s not available on every air rifle range.

I don’t think you’d ever see any cadets take part in competitions if they needed to complete all of the CLFs prior to that.

Since CLFs have been a thing, our wing shooting team have never got past CLF 3 on any weapon. I’d got as far as writing an RSD with CLF 4 included but we didn’t get that far on the day.

Some may have gone further on AR at sqn level but I’ve not been aware of it.

Yes but I can say nothing more.

What they said. The guide to commanders tables inform which competitions may be entered when, in terms of progression. Moreover, Ch 2 of ACP 18 Vol 3 lists further limitations on the award of the Competition Marksman badge.

Then it may be that they are in breach of the safe system of training, having not trained progressively iaw the approved syllabus.

What is all this nonsense about tourniquets and training…?

I’m planning this years series of training and LFMT, for the Sqn.
This is all news to me and would result in a full stop to it all, if Corps wide.

Any truth on this.
Cant find anything in an IBN or the PAMs.

@dazizian is this full on over reaching by the Perms?

Enforceable?

It’s localised to specific Regions if you are lucky enough to have been passed the whisper.

Whether it is enforceable, safe, logical, or in any way sane is another discussion.

3 Likes