New small bore rifle manual

There’s a footnote in the SBN to say there may be a delay with Key Docs. Catch 22: send to IM for Key Docs upload first, delay implementation and get caught out by people seeing it before the SBN … or release the SBN and the doc on Shooting Portal first and have people looking for it in Key Docs. We chose the latter as the lesser evil.

The new manual is available on the Shooting Portal and is linked to from the news post: Sign in to your account

1 Like

Ta; found it at the bottom of the announcement. Was just being a biff.

1 Like

personally i like this approach.

far better to warn us of a change (and even indicate what that change will look like) then release the change later ahead of the implementation.

the RAFAC has often got it round the other way - making the change and announcing it all at the same time often on SM resulting in SME at Sqn level not finding out first and asked questions on a change they haven’t even heard of!

1 Like

Frankly, I think you deserve more notice than we’ve given on this occasion but the deadline is fixed. Point in me saying this? Not to criticise the deadline but to acknowledge the need for proper notice and good change management, and to demonstrate that we are listening and trying, even if we don’t always get it right.

6 Likes

@dazizian Is it also possible to change the CSBTR CLF practices? Having to lay a rifle down and stand up between groups when wearing a sling isn’t ideal.

I can’t say too much about this yet except that the getting up issue you describe is unlikely to be resolved within the next six months. I’ll add it to the list to be considered, however.

Obiter: it’s there to force (?) the firer to practise adopting the prone position, including going through the 9 key points check. A reminder, then, that the CLFs are lessons in which a multitude of skills are taught and practised, inc adopting positions, maintenance, etc; they aren’t there solely to make holes. I’m not implying that’s all you’re interested in but it is all that some are interested in.

2 Likes

I totally understand the principle - but as it’s a target rifle I would have thought it would follow that methodology. We don’t stand up with an L81, so why with L144? Cadets either have to detach the sling or try and stand up with the rifle still attached - either way is a faff.

We use AR to do that. When they start on L144 or any other cadet weapons, they are generally able to do that. I get that not everyone is the same, but maybe the progression onto different weapon types shouldn’t have been removed :woman_shrugging:t3: .

I haven’t argued against it. I’ve added it to the list to be considered.

1 Like

As above, it’s not true that we ‘progress’ from one rifle to the other. We have many cadets whose first shoot is on the L98A2, for example. Moreover, each position is adopted differently for each rifle. The sling is a prime example: adopting the prone position with an S200 w/o a sling is different to adopting the position with the CSBTR w/ a sling. Moreover, the adjustments available on the CSBTR are different compared to the S200 (butt, sights, handstop and maybe even one day a new adjustment … !) and all of that plays a part in the position, sight alignment, etc.

This is part of the case ‘for’ standing up and I don’t mean to suggest it outweighs the case ‘against’ standing up.

That said, who says the rifle must be laid down to stand up? (Edit: the CLFs do … hold this thought). We don’t (do we?) with the L98A2. CTR requires an NSP before, for example, moving off the firing point. However, if staying on the firing point and keeping the rifle, bolt open, breach flag in, pointing towards the targets, standing up with the rifle might be an option an RCO wishes to discuss with the SPO and TSA …

ACP 18 vol 3 for several CSBTR practices says -

The firer is to lay the rifle down and stand up after each group.

1 Like

Opinion: it makes no material difference to the practice and is something an RCO may wish to discuss with their SPO and TSA.

I have an idea on how we might help without changing the syllabus. Let’s leave this point for now.

I’m not going to loose any sleep over it - until the first aid thing is solved we aren’t allowed to shoot anything more than AR any way. Just seemed like a good opportunity to raise my thoughts - thanks for considering.

1 Like

Pardon? Why can’t you shoot anything other than air rifle?

SW RC - need tourniquets and training. Don’t get me started on that one!

Would you (or any observer) mind emailing me a reference to this, please?

Happy too - best email address?

1 Like

daniel.azizian100

1 Like

There are far too many people in this organisation who I swear get a kick out of blocking activities, rather than finding ways to enable them. This is the second ‘block’ I’ve seen from SW compared to what we do in LaSER. The other one was the AED situation.

Really is a shame that things like this are not consistently enforced across the org.

6 Likes

Careful what you wish for. If we want true consistency then there is a real risk that we will default to the harshest restrictions across the board

4 Likes