New small bore rifle manual

What he said.

RC SW requires Cat Bleed trained staff for any non AR Range (In my view a total mis read of the IBN and has been poorly communicated, but I think did reach down to WShoOs)

RC SW requires an AED to be on site for any activity that is High RtL, seems he hasnā€™t actually done an Risk Assessment here, as the risk of Cardic Arrest is no greater on a Range than it is at the Sqn.

RC SW doesnā€™t allow WShoOs to Approve activity. The RShoO can only approve AR & DCCT. All other LFMT can only be approved by the RC currently (noting his total lack of shooting quals)

RC SW is so risk adverse itā€™s unhealthy for the organisation.
RC SW doesnā€™t trust volunteers and wants to remove OC Low RtL Self Approval

RC SW is the most likely reason for me leaving.

Edit to add: @dazizian I canā€™t give you any source for this as none of this has come down as a direct comms, and is pretty a case of find out when you run an activity and it gets rejected.

5 Likes

That is absolutely crazy.

Surely this falls outside the SST? He may have a high rank but if heā€™s not qualified, he shouldnā€™t be signing it off!

So all AT requires an AED? Even if thereā€™s a very small number of attendees?

1 Like

Yes x2

1 Like

Jesus wept.

1 Like

At least I think so, canā€™t be sure as there are no comms to back it up, but this is my current understanding.

i heard that the ā€œclosest AED location needs to be documented on the SMS applicationā€ rather than actually required to be ā€œon siteā€/carried.

although even if knowing the nearest one is ā€œcloseā€ at a mile away is too far away to be any use should it be needed in anger so perhaps my source was misunderstood.

If all this AED stuff is being asked for, then why are Sqns allowed to operate without one on Sqn hq?

After all the majority of all activity and time we do and spend is on Sqn. Therefore the percentage risk of needing one is on Sqnā€¦

Our nearest registered aed to Sqn is just over a mile awayā€¦

If I keel over and my adj sends a runnerā€¦ Iā€™d be dead and buried before they returned.

This sounds very much like unthought out blocking, for no good reason.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s still a load of rubbish. If Iā€™m planning to take cadets up Snowdon as an example, the nearest AED will be at pen-y-pass YHA/warden centre. However if someone needs one, that wonā€™t be the one that gets used, itā€™ll be the one mountain rescue bring up with them!

Iā€™ve raised this with my OC Wgā€¦ awaiting response since Mid Dec

i donā€™t disagree

the only way the location being known is useful is if it is carriedā€¦but then it needs to be sourced from somewhere which comes with a Ā£Ā£Ā£

the whole thing sounds rubbish. knowing where one is or carrying one is not in line with ALARP.
if SW are expected to have a AED why not an EpiPen too?

ā€¦has he even done the risk assessors course???

if youā€™re shot through the chest, an AED isnā€™t gonna save youā€¦

1 Like

It comes with sticky pads you can use to cover the holes

10 Likes

Standbyā€¦ @dazizian is warming up for a responseā€¦

2 Likes

Not quite. Thereā€™s a difference between acting as SPO or any other appointment, and approving a RAFAC activity. The RC, as the DDH, is well within his remit for the latter, provided the rest (eg SST) is in place. Theyā€™re two separate issues. Eg I could be the SPO for a shoot in 1 Welsh but Iā€™d have no authority to approve the event.

This is what concerns me most. Volunteers need clarity to plan effectively. To leave people guessing and then reject because they didnā€™t guess right ā€¦ isnā€™t right.

Except that I know of an event which was returned as the nearest AED wasnā€™t near enough.

Maybe but GSW is rarely the highest risk in military skills (or ā€˜outdoorsā€™) activities. Without looking at the real stats, Iā€™d put money on a heart attack being more likely, particularly in extremes of weather.

2 Likes

Iā€™d put more than that.

bhf own stats say heart attack when partaking in strenuous activity is far more likely than any other major incident.

1 Like

Do the people who write these things do it themselves following what theyā€™ve written? Better still run through it with new cadets (ie never done it before) and a sample of the people (Sqn CFAV) who will be doing it with them. Then you can do the thatā€™s daft/donā€™t work bits, then repeat with similar groups before it gets anywhere near released document.

You get the impression a lot is lifted directly from the Armed Forces with a few word changes like ā€œcadetā€, other than that left untouched and no respect for the fact we are doing this with children, and itā€™s not the day to day job for those CFAV who are into shooting.

You would like to think that just once the end audience was respected. As for taking months to do a ā€œrewriteā€ ā€¦ why? Is it given to monks to hand scribe on vellum?

Find & replace has been the mentality on some cases. No more. Take the new syllabus for example: we took cues from the OSP but even the coaching chapter was tailored to cadet stuff to at least some degree. The shoots themselves are largely bespoke and with significant feedback implemented.

As for the CSBTR manual: it took so long as the drills are fundamentally different and it is tri-Service with input also from CCRS. Thatā€™s a lot of going back and forth.

Without giving too much away: we proposed to update another manual today ā€¦ if the proposal is accepted then it will be a very different, volunteer-led process. Thereā€™s zero indication yet as to the likelihood of acceptance but judge us on how that goes if it is accepted, not on previous processes which have been entirely out of our control.

Iā€™ll say one more thing on that last point: the fact that we feel we can approach ARTAT with such things and that they are working with us is testement to their attitude and openness, and to the relationship we have with them (largely thanks to two certain HQ RAFAC desk officers). Indeed, for them to have put up with the significant to and fro with the CSBTR update, respecting the input of ā€˜mere volunteersā€™ should say something.

3 Likes

Iā€™m still wondering why the manual hasnā€™t been uploaded to our system yet. Normally we get these things first.