National Townhalls

Well that just means that TK highlighted the wrong aspects of the report, which even with better quotes to use is an error of judgement.

As a probationer, you don’t come off probation and can’t go off-unit, after that… if some areas aren’t adequately enforcing, then that’s a management issue not a systems issue (although better automation of digital systems could ease the process). That doesn’t require additional policy, just a more even application of existing policy.

I’d say there needs to be a balancing. At the moment, “everybody does everything” is too buckshot and contributes in part to the lip service you mention. Does a classroom only instructor need climatic injuries? Does a participant need the commanders’ course? Does everyone need an ACTO 10 test?

Psychologically, tying training to specific activity/environment/responsibility requirements eases the pain (as well that initial 6 month burden) of going through the process. Each time you (want to) progress, you add a little more in line with the requirement of that progression.

I would add that it could be possible that self-approval comes with more than one check-box:

• This document is included
  • So is this one
  • I have checked the requirements in (free text or drop down) (+ add document)
    etc

How many activities at the moment are put through with “This activity is approved” as the only comment. Or, these days, “This activity is approved. No public funds required so CACE not submitted.”?

I still disagree with the way in which Great Orme was raised and the direction that discussion of it was focused.

3 Likes

If we’re still in the same situation for the 4th,5th,6th then I’ll be more inclined to agree this is a problem. With 8-9 months of behind the scenes to catch up on plus the highly topical SW situation to quick-brief the rest of the org on (plus perhaps some nerves and anxiety over the response/blowback and needing to ensure details are correct) I can at least understand why it lacked some of the things that would have been nice.

However, I’ll agree with those that have mentioned speaking style - very boardroom and business-like in delivery. But again, for this one, large elements were (rightly, I think) scripted/prepared, and I hope that we will see this delivery style change with time as tensions reduce and there are fewer bullet points to blast through.

2 Likes

If I’m honest, I’m still not really sure what I feel with regards to the Townhall last night.
With the exception of Baz, who was pretty much as you find him in real life, everyone else was hard to stay engaged with, which I don’t think helped what they were actually saying.

I was expecting a bit more interaction but it was only an hour and it was the first one, so I suppose ‘transmit’ was to be expected and hopefully future ones will be more engaging with the audience. Hearing things direct from the horses mouth as it were, stops the Region / Wing spins on things which can only be a positive. As a CFAV of over twenty years, am I feeling more positive after last night? No, I don’t think I am. Whoever gets the job and takes over from TK has got a hell of a task in front of them but if they maintain this direct communication channel and have a more honest and open approach to questions then it’s a good start.

I still disagree in the way the Great Orme event was used. A Scout Leader went rogue and I’m sure at one point I heard that RAFAC also have events off radar, which is what TK is worried about. I’m sure we do, but we’re not all like that and those going rogue will still do it, regardless of what measures are put into place to stop it. It will only get worse with the increase of hoops to jump through to be able to do something. Increasing the hoops doesn’t make an activity any safer, it just means that people complete the paperwork in robot fashion or don’t bother and just go and do the activity. Hoops need to be made simpler so that people will work within them and we need each Wing / Region to work with the same requirements. I’ve been in four Wings in four years (thanks RAF!) and every Wing has a different requirement for the same activity, I never know what the rules to the game are and it’s quite frankly tiring, and time consuming, not to mention ridiculous!

The other points that kind of stick out for me were the changes coming in for 2 September, aligned with the return of schools, is forgetting that our Scottish contingent are returning to school in the next week or so and as mentioned elsewhere, a minimum age for MOI coming in but not saying what that is and with nothing published (that I can easily find) has left us with more questions.

Overall, let’s see what the next one in two weeks time brings.

4 Likes

Valve mostly killed off game piracy, Netflix mostly killed off movie piracy. Spotify mostly killed off music piracy. Making things easier and affordable (which for us is in terms of time spent) reduces the likelihood and number of bad actors.

1 Like

I agree with WO Alex. I’m still fairly new here, but I honestly don’t think CAC is the problem and his replacement won’t be a silver bullet.

I think the problem is the Civil Service. Not the recruitment freeze, although that’s a contributing factor, but even if there wasn’t a freeze then CS recruitment policies would prevent us from recruiting the right people with experience in youth organisations or managing volunteers, and the unions stop enthusiastic and highly skilled and experienced volunteers from helping.

The powers that be should look to restructure the whole organisation away from reliance on civil servants and into a position where it can recruit its own staff directly, like the SCC and CCF, or use RFCA staff, like the ACF.

In addition, there should be something like FTRS for experienced CFAVs who find they have more time to give to become paid, uniformed staff: like CAAs in the ACF.

4 Likes

But then you hit the issue of pay. CAAs receive around the same salary as a HEO CS. Would you do the job form £35k a year, giving up a potentially better paid job just to help RAFAC!!

The only person this will serve are those who have retired early, then people will say they are too old, what do they know about the kids of today!!

The organisation has too many deep rooted issues that will take years to sort.

Do we wipe, and start again?

1 Like

Absolutely not and this type of language is deeply unhelpful. RAFAC is an organisation like any other where we are, on the whole, offering outstanding opportunity for the almost 47000 cadets in our midst. But there are challenges and I agree that being more open and engaged on the challenges is to everyone’s benefit esp the cadets where every conversation should start and end. There is way more right than wrong as I saw, again, with the Cadets I flew yesterday. I ask that we are less polarised and willing to accept that we are navigating extraordinarily difficult times in many areas.

7 Likes

I wonder if we need to be more honest about the challenges and the direction given by CAS. A number of the recent changes seem to align more with current RAF (ASTRA) priorities - e.g. we don’t need to generate as many pilots as we used to; we need more engineers; we need more logistics officers; we don’t need so many people trained in Drill & Ceremonial or Music. Hence, we make cuts in the latter (no D&C or Music camps), reduce the size of ACPS, and push the former (e.g. STEM logistics camp, NASC).

Similarly, we discourage compulsory service and ‘legacy’ CCFs (i.e. those in private schools, for the most part) with a view to reducing the number of cadets there or at least the cost of supporting them.

All of that is totally defensible in a changing world and with challenging budgets; if I am right about the reasons for the changes then I do understand and support them (except, for historical reasons, the CCF changes - our unit was particularly hard hit in the Battle of Britain). But the mood-music from HQ RAFAC is different - yes, there is openness about challenges to CS staffing, but the overall direction is not clearly articulated. We keep being given the impression that things will improve (=go back to the old ways) when realistically they won’t.

I may be wrong about the overall picture, but that’s how it feels, and if so, it would be good to have some idea of the strategic direction.

1 Like

3 Likes

My understanding is that the CCFs put in a lot more than than cost of running them or at the least least are more economical & cost efficient than the community units.

1 Like

Probably because the old school tie pays a significant part of the running costs. Not necissarily a bad thing taking a long view of the public purse.

I agree that we still provide an excellent experience for cadets and that there is a lot of good going on that gets overshadowed by the bad.
I think we all accept that we’re operating in a challenging time, but I think what people struggle with is when decisions are made that seem to only add to that challenge.

2 Likes

Perhaps because my employer ownership is based in the USA, but when we get “all hands” messages from the top the presenter (in person or on screen) is passionate and driven sbout the message, the company’s reaction and path forward…

A leader should be inspirational imo…wooden, robotic and flat delivery presenting style doesn’t tick that box

(For MOI we expect the same of our cadets so why not our own leadership when public speaking?)

6 Likes

Opportunities ?

Cadets on my unit haven’t flown in Tutors in 2024
Haven’t been offered gliding in 2024
Haven’t been shooting in 2024
1 has gone to annual camp.
All chance of DofE expeditions pulled this summer.

Tell me about this exciting experience?

9 Likes

I agree with some of what you have said but national events are not the only way to boost morale and give cadets opportunities.

Yes, this year in SW Region, we are seeing a pause at a time when we would be most active but in previous years, the lack of support from CFAV at Wing level who from my own experience seem to be in post for the rank has been absolutely shocking.

In my Wing DofE has been next to zero and we have a large cohort of cadets waiting for expeditions to complete Bronze level.

Shooting has been none existence unless the unit has someone keen on becoming an RCO and a AR range can be installed.

I cant remember the last time FC was done and I could go on.

Yes, nationallly and regionally I think more could be done but those CFAV in Primary roles at Wing level need to look at alternative options to create more opportunities for our cadets in conjunction with unit commanders at localised levels and not solely rely on HQAC.
(Of course not all Wings are in this position).

1 Like

BGW by any chance?

Make sure you raise this up to your WShO and WFTO. If you get no response, push to your region SME.

If there are either local issues stopping delivery, or blockers, we can support. (Current Region SME)

Definitely SW. I couldn’t speak higher of the efforts of staff on the Squadron. It just starts to fall apart after that. We are currently burning through Sqn funds keeping cadets active this summer while we are confined to barracks. I believe we should see some financial offset from Wing, Region & Corps level but that’s just a pipe dream. Just lots of angry staff. We have now moved beyond disappointed or resigned. I really think we are now at the stage where Corps and Region need to be silent until they say we are back to normal working. We are sorry for getting it wrong and we promise it will never happen again.

Unfortunately as others have said in other threads, the moment this is raised through the CoC, someone gets their knickers in a twist and thos at unit level end up with disciplinary action against them!!!

It is very frustrating and I am not the only one who feels it but it feels as though it has gone too far now and will need alot of work to change the mindset of the Wing SMEs.