National Townhalls

(This started in the Car Parking debate, then I thought of moving to the FOI thread, and then the SW Townhall discussion, but it seems most reasonable to have a generic thread targeting the concept of the townhalls and the feelings about the national meetings as they occur. Tomorrow is the day of the first one, after all!)

You’re agreeing with us on this one. This is exactly the point that has been made by many already, but this isn’t the part that is within our control to change.

You’ve made a number of references to this, but the situation is far more complex and nuanced than this. Where I’m about to make sweeping generalisations there is an underlying understanding that there will have been exceptions or it not being a total norm.

Senior leadership, both on the paid and in some cases the uniformed side, act very much from a controlling parent state and never even exhibit anything resembling nurturing (which could have its place in our situation) or willingness to engage as adults.

I don’t believe that every reaction from a CFAV then falls squarely into child and feel that the majority probably don’t; there will be those on both sides of adapted (where some of the more bone FOI requests come from and then also those that blindly accept).

A good amount of if not the majority of CFAV attempt or at least initially attempted to react in an adult fashion - wanting to understand, gain more information, look for logical pathways to answers or resolutions, and have an open and fair discussion. Many will have attempted to use the CoC or other available mechanisms (such as VOP) to ask reasonable questions or make requests for further information. When those reasonable attempts are not welcomed, more rebels have been bred.

If you route-cause the issue and look at the power dynamic, the onus isn’t on CFAV to improve the comms from leadership to mitigate the negative fallout. That’s not how leadership works - our organisation’s leaders haven’t shifted (towards grater obscurity) in response to the actions of CFAV (challenges and FOI), but the other way around.

Again looking at the power dynamic we can even look slightly away from traditional leadership based transactional analysis and consider something like the Betari Box Model (albeit in slightly skewed setting from its usual usage) and consider this as a conflict resolution:

If you start the cycle from the receipt of policy or information, from a position of no to little power or influence, CFAV in adult states have attempted to understand things rationally and have behaved in a reasonable way to do so, but been rebuffed by controlling parents.

The power to change this cycle lies with those in leadership. Their attitude towards CFAV and communication needs to change, as does the accompanying leadership style employed. It feels very much like your view is targeting CFAV as being the catalyst for the ego state shift, but we have knowledge of the history where our influence on this has been zero while trying to act reasonably.

Hopefully the townhalls will be at least part of the mindset changes required on both sides. It represents the biggest change in attitude and action I’ve seen from senior leadership and if they are allowed to develop well enough, will put the onus on CFAV to also change.

As an action, these townhalls are generally being accepted as a good thing by open minds, but we’re yet to see the full evidence of whether there is a genuine attitude change behind these more open behaviours from the big bar codes. I think for some at least, the required attitude change may be yet to come, and they’ve jumped into the behaviour part of the cycle. If CFAV continue to react positively, maybe these attitudes will soften more broadly and we’ll see even better changes to behaviour.

BUT, that is of course caveated with these new actions being meaningful. Right now the goal is simply to stem the flow of FOI requests, so there is going to be a little bit of chicken and egg with meaningful, open comms vs a shift from stop FOIs to doing it because it’s right.

This could mean that initially the townhalls will be more tentative, and perhaps not everything that CFAV are looking for or the full paradigm shift required, but if both sides allow the time and accept a reasonable fault margin during this initial phase, we’ll get those adult-adult conversations.

CFAV need to accept it won’t be perfect and we won’t get everything, those hosting need to accept that it will take time and effort to win people - and that there will always be a few rebellious children regardless.

There is a lot of history and frustration here that needs to be broken through so this isn’t an instant fix for either side, but if our leaders throw in the towel too soon or don’t relax into the process to realise the potential of sincere and open communication and discussion, it is far more doomed to fail than if a minority of CFAV stay rowdy.

With that said, who’s looking forward to tonight?

4 Likes

I wonder if a future development could be devolution of hosting, with SME hosts and a prereleased agenda each time - surely eventually CAC and the RCs will run out of topics, energy, and specific knowledge to keep up the cadence…

All good points but the TH is tomorrow at least according to my calendar

Oh it’s Wednesday today!

I’m just too keen and eager to get involved in what I’m sure will be a thrill ride :rofl:

1 Like

Just as it’s making reference to transactional analysis & parent-adult-child ego states this infographic may be helpful to those unfamiliar with the theory.

There are probably better diagrams but it gives an idea.

3 Likes

Thanks for putting this infographic in here. I still believe that the relationship between RAFAC HQ and other staff is that of P - C. and as @Giminion states that is nuanced, but is still P-C.

My thread was about cultural change and not necessarily the relationship that exists now. This takes time and real effort on both sides to accept the past and move on from that. If either side cannot accept the toxic nature of the past and move on, then there is now way that meaningful cultural change can take place.

The “Corps” of the past is gone and is no longer fit for purpose in the world we live in. Change is never easy but in this case I believe it is needed for RAFAC to grow and flourish in a way that the majority want. There are some on here who cannot accept that this change is inevitable, and hanker for the past. This is either they do not understand the need and that is a communications failure, or they don’t care and want their own way.

There are significant culture changes needed on both sides of this organisation for it to be successful in the future and my hope is that a change of Commandant and the Senior CFAV (who’s tenure is up shortly) will be able to drive that cultural shift with a joint vision.

Only time will tell whether that will be the case but I am sure that @Cab is not naive to the challenges and that a new vision is needed to kickstart a new relationship of ‘One Team’ working towards the common goal. This needs new thought and a very different approach. IMHO.

5 Likes

I wasn’t delving into the detail because in the basic sense yes P-C, but some of us are crossed - HQAC (and some Wing CFAV) P-C and many Sqn CFAV attempting A-A and ending up with A-P (received/perceived as C-P). This is where I’m saying it falls down, because the theory (and Betari Box) suggests that our actions or method of communication should influence the receiver, but it hasn’t. Then you consider the power dynamic and who is best placed to make the first shift for a different outcome… It seems that we are now seeing that shift from the right places and people.

I don’t disagree with a lot of what you just said (I’m just on one side of the same fence that you’re sitting on :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:), but will only add that my sense is that, for the majority, lack of acceptance of change is through lack of understanding more than simple rebellion. A communications failure, as you say, but the seemingly embedded (historical) attitude/view of those in leadership positions is that all challenges and questions are rebellious and those asking should be taking everything at face value with a kind “because I said so” demeanour.

On the topic of change:

*and method and transparency of the communication around that change.

I don’t think we’re misaligned in a general sense so could probably just continue going round in circles if we continue much further. Just I have a bias in this that I recognise, while you’re mostly disinterested by virtue of being so fresh and the role you have. Where you’re approaching this from is good, bringing an experienced, outside view that can be impartial and see both sides and take neither position.

Reading the death spiral thread again & noticed this from March 2022

It’s taken a couple of years but we’re starting to get there.

2 Likes

Yes but the frank questions are not (yet) being responded to with a frank answer…

1 Like

The word “starting” is doing a lot of heavy lifting at the moment :slightly_smiling_face:

Doesn’t apply to the actual activities though…

1 Like

I think we are wholly aligned actually.

I think recognising that bias is health and something that as an organisation we need to accept, park, and work beyond to allow us to move forward in any meaningful way. I understand what you mean by being disinterested, but perhaps untarnished by the past may be a better turn of phrase. RAFAC isn’t alone in having these challenges, many large voluntary organisations do. The difference is that those other organisation seem to want to embrace new ways of working and moving beyond legacy challenges. I currently don’t see any visible signs that RAFAC is willing to embrace that at the moment and I think this is largely because the hierarchical nature of the RAF bleeds too much into the voluntary organisation. This is cultural and difficult to change, but not impossible with the correct personalities driving it. The AOC is showing his willingness to ignite change by coming on here and engaging and starting town halls etc to improve communication. Also know that Comdt 2 FTS has recently filmed some videos with more to come, as a new way of communicating in that area of the organisation. I think this is all very positive and will increase transparence and trust. But engagement is a two-way street and in reality face to face or tools such as yammer are some of the better ways to do that. Levering technology can also be a great help in engaging with a remote volunteer force like ours.

PS How did you know I was new and my role? This is an anonymous forum :crazy_face:

3 Likes

The cynic in my asks will the ‘townhalls’ continue after a few months when the heat is off RCSW and HQAC? Will engagement dwindle downwards, in particular if the answers to questions are either woolly or stonewalled?

Of course it will…

I look forward to this evening, engagement such as this is key to VOV IMO and I’m glad the AOC has joined the forum to get a sense of things at the coalface.

“It will also explain, perhaps for the first time, the significant burden that the high volume of requests for information places on our people, which hinders them from progressing their primary responsibilities.”

I’m hopeful it will also acknowldege the lack of detail and short notice implementation requirement in some comms that has resulted in these FOIs.

1 Like

FOIs is one thing but really, IMO, this need to reduce the admin burden needs to work at all levels.

Take the Town Halls notifications as a good example. I got 3 emails from Bader, another from Region and a 5th from Wing… our organisation has got to stop circumventing the chain of command.

Everyone, at all levels, needs to adopt a better communications policy to reduce the amount of email we get. This would help everyone. The issue, as I see it, is that we need to slow down and allow more time for information to be allowed to filter down the COC and not allow people at any level the ability to send an all in Corps, Region or Wing email.

Our area has recently changed supplier for building maintenance. I’m up to 8 emails all saying the same thing because it is blasted out at Region and Wing level without coordination.

For an organisation modelled on the RAF we do an incredibly bad job of using the chain of command.

I step down from my soapbox… but im interested in the meeting this evening as it is probably a step in the right direction.

3 Likes

Standby, Standby.

Can’t get into it, which is not a good start

1 Like

Used the link the invite “meeting hasn’t started yet”

2 Likes

I think they’re wasting our time to make a point about FOIs :wink: