National Townhalls

Particularly if you’re someone who found out the course you’ve been supporting for years just got canned.

I know one of the people who founded the cse - I shall have to be very careful how I tell them….:frowning:

Was unable to attend last night so don’t know what happened but I thought the whole point of these was to create discussion. If they are only being used as another way of sending information out then we should just stick to a monthly briefing sheet. With only emergencies sent out differently. Adding further to the volunteer burden by adding another evening is wrong. People are disaffected by the decisions being made not the communication method. Top people should get out and talk to staff who then need to be honest not nasty but honest. We are suffering death by a thousand cuts and we need to reverse this drive to turn us into a classroom based organisation.

4 Likes

was a reason given for the cull to JL?

or simply “JL: it is no more…the next item on the agenda is…”

1 Like

I feel like I was at a different meeting to a lot on here, I thought there was good information even if bits did feel like they took a long time.

On the leadership this is what I took away;

The current gold leadership courses are gone because they are all teaching a different syllabus and there’s no continuity,

In place the plan is a single gold leadership course for 120 a year initially and if popular they will look so that regions can run it,

They like JLs, and it’ll continue but will need a re-write as it won’t include gold leadership.

I thought the information on the O18 was helpful (again delivery wasn’t perfect but the info was there) and we can help cadets make an informed decision whilst they are between 18-20.

2 Likes

Yes, there was loads of good information. Absolutely tonnes. But my understanding of what a townhall should be is much more of a discussion. Lots of Q and A and idea spitballing etc.

What last night was, was a briefing. This is good too I guess, but not a townhall.

I joined shortly before TK started reading off his script about over 18 changes. There was so much information being said that I couldn’t process it, let alone try and formulate questions about it.

There were some great members of the media team answering as much as they could in the chat mind, so compliments to them for that.

I’m my view, the best way to do these sort of things would be the following; A couple of days before the actual Teams meeting, publish all the ‘information’ that is currently being passed over via the meeting. Maybe as part of the weekly brief. Then allow people to pose questions in writing based on that. Then the meeting itself can be all about discussing the questions and issues people have come up with. It would hopefully also leave some time for more of an AOB as part of the meeting. Let people raise questions and problems directly.

If these townhalls are just going to be another way of getting information from the top to the bottom, then we may have ended up going backwards rather than forwards. Especially if there is a lot of stuff said in the townhall that is not published elsewhere.

6 Likes

This. I missed it. I now don’t have that information.

8 Likes

It probably wasn’t said like this on the call, but I have been told informally (some time last year) that it’s because the big wigs view it as elitest and only supporting a very small amount of cadets for the expenditure it needs to run.

Also, it is lunchtime in the UK, right? Why the hell was the briefing held during most people’s working day?

1 Like

The briefing was last night, 19:30-20:30.

1 Like

Ah that makes more sense.

Only just woken up. Not yet with it.

£78k for 85 cadets.

Albeit, it’s 27 days duration, so is only £33.50 per cadet per day.

(I think JL being canx might need it’s own thread…)

3 Likes

That’s pretty cheap overall.

How much for IACE / ACPS, etc?

3 Likes

Don’t give them ideas!

2 Likes

(This is a joke, I don’t actually meant to encourage more FOIs!)

4 Likes

This doesn’t cover all the travel, multiple travel warrants / 1771 from all over the 3 nations or ammunition, etc - JL use more ammunition than the rest of the RAFAC combined. Our RC said it was the cost of JL was in excess of £350k per course and that was a few years ago.

interesting that half the cost is on VA…

I wonder if any calculations were made given the new VA structure on how that impacted the cost and if it would make it more viable…?

I believe that because this was using the CACE system, that 76k should include most of that. Note that VA is £37523 and food is £10120, that’s only circa £47k for VA and food. The other £29k is all the incidentals like 1771 and travel warrants etc AFAIK.

I do agree that the ammunition costs are likely not included in there, but are for the most part significantly less important as we don’t see the cost directly, and the MOD produces a metric ass load of 5.56 and pyro.

2 Likes

I understand that we do see the cost of ammunition now and £29k for travel for 105 people over 7+ weekends plus clarity / MT requirements for the same, doesn’t seem right somehow. Anyway thread drift, sorry!

I see transport costs are not included in that total either for staff or cadets. Cadets would have rail warrants and when a cadet from my old unit attended under the old one weekend a month it cost the corps something in the region of £1,300.

It’s just yet another premier activity for older cadets that created real value for those individuals, that once lost, will never come back.

9 Likes