Latest Activity Stop - Road Marching Issues

100%. Also, the slots that we all took up could have gone to people in the regs, reserves or other cadet forces who would have gone on to complete

What’s stopping members of a Squadron or Wing conveniently meeting and organising a Civie team outside the Corps completely?

Like how when I was a Cdt NCO, the NCO team would go paint balling as “friends”.

Just make it clear to the individuals and parents that the event is completely not related to the RAFAC?

Not trying to promote rebellion but curious why this isn’t the logical step?

1 Like

We would do that aswell, all the cadets of the squadron go do some unofficial activity together, like ice skating one year. It would probably have to be without staff for safeguarding reasons though?

This got me thinking actually, would a cadet who goes to Nijmegen civvy, on their own under their own steam be able to claim the badge?

2 Likes

You can claim one of the RM badges for Dodentocht so I’d imagine so.

1 Like

The ACRoMaTI simply says:
Successful completion of
· the Road Marching Cadet Training Package,
· Completion of the International 4 Days Marches completing the distance relevant to their age group.

Nothing about it needing to be with a RAFAC team. But they will need to have done the training package. (Although, if I were the OC I’d give them the badge)

3 Likes

Two reasons, from a staff perspective:

1. Insurance. You would need separate liability insurance if the event wasn’t RAFAC approved. Running any event without insurance risks financial ruin.
  2. Future in the RAFAC. When you were found out, that would be the end of your involvement with RAFAC. Suspended, then discharged.
2 Likes

You could get around it by setting up another organisation such as “Yourtown Young People’s Road Marching Association”. And if there is an overlap of staff and young people then that’s just life. Though probably would be safeguarding hurdles to do it properly. And you’d want to affiliate with any relevant national bodies to show you’re kosher.

As long as you were doing it with a legit org and not using RAFAC equipment they wouldn’t have a leg to stand on. I know one guy who is a CFAV in the ATC and a venture scout leader (no idea how he has the time) who takes the scouts out there with some overlap of kids. He never has an issue with HQAC

1 Like

Join the Girls Venture Corps?

1 Like

Cunning. I can’t imagine many people have the energy for RAFAC and another youth organisation though, as you say.

1 Like

8 Likes

Thanks Mr vrtmemes. Happy to join once you’re up and running

I wish.

I’ve seen a couple of attempts that are already up and running. In fact, I was invited to join one of them! Politely declined as, although we think we have too much bureaucracy, I think they didn’t have enough. Just seemed a little too red-flaggy for my liking.

3 Likes

Lol that’s already happening in Kent . . . Kent Cadets

1 Like

Going independent of RAFAC… sensible suggestion - but - think of it from the parent’s point of view…

18 year olds - not a problem

16-17 year olds, in a foreign country…, probably not such a good idea.

An adult CFAV with an unauthorised group of young people without the top cover of RAFAC, who’s almost certainly be told to do one.

That being said…

A group of friends, with a parent - known well to the other parents might fly (pardon the pun). The issue would be if they formed their own team o/s of RAFAC, then they would need a team leader over 50, to be able to walk with them…

As things stand - all a cadet would need to do, is prove they completed the event - evidenced by the completion certificate. (They’d also need to have completed the Blue Badge stuff)

In the exact same way; that you can receive your DofE patch, for completing the award at school!

There is a Civvy organisation (the BDWF) that has exceptional ties with RAFWARMA, that have been identified in ACRoMaTI (as being a recommended provider of services for civilian teams - especially for first time team leaders and organisers) that could be approached by a group wanting to put together their own team, outside of RAFAC.

However they do not allow under 18s without a parent or guardian travelling with them (and need for an adult or each sex if the group is mixed sex).

There are a number of major benefits of participating under the RAFAC banner - possible cost subsidies, insurance / critical incident cover and protection, substantial staff support in country etc not to mention all staff DBS checked!

The BDWF are just one of a few organisations that have assisted civvy teams in the past.

I have stayed with them myself three times and can personally attest to how utterly brilliant their set up is - and I am looking forward to going again this year!

The accommodation is in a very large, segregated sports hall with metal framed beds & hospital type mattresses.
Single sex showers and changing rooms - including dedicated ones for u18s.
There is an on-site, highly qualified first aid and support team - which extends to coverage at the three BMC Rest Points on walking days too!
Fully catered - with generous portions of extremely tasty food.
(And a large sports bar upstairs, with a large outdoor terrace - but the staff are extremely aware to not serve minors - and are very good at ensuring this!)

It would be a terrible shame, if HQAC do pull the plug on civvy teams, especially when as I understand it, HQAC haven’t sought to discuss what changes if any, they might like to see made, to better match their needs.

I would just like to extend my compliments to the team leaders and staff of the cadet civvy teams that I’ve met there - as the cadets have always acted impeccably - a true credit to their staff, their units, their families and of course themselves.

Re participating with the GVC

Alas - not any more…!

Pourquoi?

Have now edited this post 4 times…!

Girls Venture Corp Air Cadets we’re on the verge of closing this year

From a national organisation point of view… it has.
Three units have survived and have been set up as community groups.
Wisbech - Girls Venture Corps Cadets

And GVcAC Walsall and GVcAC Sheffield.

Having found 1551 Walsall online, their numbers would be the envy of many RAFAC Squadrons!

I hope it is surviving, not least because of the history that surrounds its formation!

1 Like

Wasnt the isle of white a hot bed of GVC at one point?

Dunno about hot bed on the Isle of Wight, but there was a GVC sqn that shared premises when I was a cadet on 1024.:smiling_imp: