Issues with Flying Scholarship Applications

How?
If my child couldnt write, i would hand write it for them.
It solves NOTHING.

2 Likes

Doesn’t stop people calling those rules out as being stupid

2 Likes

“Oh look Bunny, this applicant uses the Blitherington cross on his Ts, he must be a good egg”…

2 Likes

I understand the sentiment, doesn’t fly anymore.

If it specified you had to be male, white etc there would be uproar. This isn’t as blatant, and I really do think just oversight, but it’s the same principle.

2 Likes

Until the point that they get to the training provider and cannot fulfill CAA requirements.

To be clear.

There is no requirement to be able to handwrite in order to pass a PPL.

Tests are multichoice tick box.

Basic maths is all thats needed.

No essay or paragraph or even writing of a single sentence is required to obtain a PPL.

Radiotelephony test can be conducted entirely verbally. Taking notes would help. But is not a requirement of the radiotelephony licence test.
Even these notes can be typed, as reasonable adjustment for exams are allowed by the CAA.

There is no requirement that even the licence application form to be completed by the person passing. Only a signature from the individual.

Handwriting DOES NOT define ability, understanding, maths or hand eye coordination.

NOW if their application form was online and involved a basic math test… that i would COMPLETLY support.

Basic Maths is needed.
HandWriting is not for a ppl.

2 Likes

Then why does the CAA give such guidance and I quote.

"Although it is considered reasonable for students of most disciplines to have help from a scribe when writing essays, sitting exams etc. it cannot be considered reasonable for a pilot to have to rely on someone else when reading checklists, weather reports, instrument displays, charts etc. in flight. Scribes or other aids to word recognition should not be permitted in pilot training for this reason.

Provided a pilot has been able to successfully complete the written work involved in training, they will have demonstrated a level of reading and writing ability sufficient to safely pilot an aircraft. If an applicant for pilot licensing is unable to complete training without assistance with reading and writing there are no reasonable adjustments, with current technology, that can be made to enable him or her to safely fly solo or pursue a career in aviation."

Youve missed the point.

Reading is key.
Maths is key.

HAND WRITTING is not.

Anyone know how we make stuff bold.

HAND HAND HAND HAND HAND writing is NOT required.

This all started from that societies requirement for HAND writing.

3 Likes

** on either side.

1 Like

Provided a pilot has been able to successfully complete the written work involved in training, they will have demonstrated a level of reading and writing ability sufficient to safely pilot an aircraft

The regulation states written

I don’t think I’d count scholarship application writing as “flying training” :wink:

3 Likes

Not sure if you’ve done flying training, there is no written work luckily

The exams are multiple choice box ticking. May need to scribble down an ATIS.

That’s it.

And your PLOG, taxi instructions, departure clearances, Missed Approach instructions.

None of which a hand writing test.

And most of which is symbology not sentence.
You dont teach people to write out clearances in full prose…no time for that, arrows, numbers and letters is all.

Also… who hand writes a PLOG? As a minimum use an excel sheet.

Or any hundred of software programmes available.

Descrbing a PLOG as a hand writing exercise is like describing a dofe route card as one… a few words yes, hand written prose, no.

1 Like

I somewhat think we are missing the point here…

Asking in this day and age for hand written applications is unacceptable.
Furthermore if used as a filter, its stupid. Anyone can fill in the form for the child.
There is no sense to it.

4 Likes

No. Depending on the level of flying, from PPL to IFR, single or multi-pilot, there are many occasions where a full write down of clearance / ATC instructions will be essential.

Mis-spell an ident / waypoint, & you can be in big trouble. Same for altitude clearances. I’ve had several occasions when a PLOG has had to be pulled by the company to validate safety reports for possible level bust / incorrect routing based on what clearances had been written down - all found in our favour. :wink:

There is a lot of reading / writing in aviation.

1 Like
  1. we had a cadet from our squadron win one of these scholarships a few years ago. He asked me to check his application before submitting. The content was good, but the handwriting was terrible.

2. Scottish youngsters aren’t disadvantaged because there are flying scholarships out there that are only open to Scottish people.

1 Like

Sad isn’t it. Answer is just to get someone else to do the application form for you.

Though, practically speaking, of course not everyone can do that.

Do have to write lots in aviation in fairness. I’ve just flown across Europe and at one point I did have to write down a new squawk code, all four digits of it. Edit: Actually I didn’t even do that I just dialled it straight in, sorry.

1 Like

Why are you advocating defrauding the Air Pilots?!? Don’t forget that they’re running/awarding the scholarships on behalf of other companies (eg: AirBP)

Just dont apply/don’t advertise it to your cadets if you feel so strongly.

As has been said, it’s their trainset, they have their reason for asking for it to be handwritten - shows good motivation - its been stated that the handwriting doesnt have to be cursive or even particularly neat - just legible.

I don’t know why reading keeps getting brought into this, when the handwriting issue raised has nothing to do with reading.