1 Like

Agreed, but its doubtful things will change in the next 5 weeks

-Open Webpage-

-Click edit-

<Remove String ~Handwritten~>

<Insert String ~Word Processed PDF~>

-Click Save-

-Close Webpage-

I don’t think it’s them choosing not to do it, I just genuinely think they haven’t considered it.

3 Likes

Handwritten application makes little sense in the modern era - except it may be because there is a lot of handwriting required for a pilot scholarship? If you can’t write clearly, that might be a problem for the training. I am not saying that is the case, but it might be. For any cadets with specific needs who cannot handwrite an application, I would suggest that they type their application and just make them aware of why they have done that (they should be made aware of any specific needs anyway I imagine.)

Travelling to London also seems a bit excessive, but there is certainly a benefit to face-to-face interviews over online. For the opportunity to get a flying scholarship, I would hope that for any cadets who may struggle to finance travel themselves, then the Civilian Committee would step in and support. If Squadron Committee cannot afford it, then a letter to the Wing Committee would be in order.

1 Like

I get the sentiment, but is funding travel and accommodation costs for a non RAFAC event actually allowed?

The onus shouldn’t be on disadvantaged applicants to somehow step up, it should be on the providers to make the application process fair and accessable.

1 Like

I know of Squadrons who have for Staff to complete both D1 and AT qualifications which are easier to complete locally/outside of the organisation…

These are not RAFAC events but are for the RAFAC benefit

1 Like

Absolutely. A CWC is a charity who’s aims are to benefit the cadets. They can do pretty much anything they like so long as it meets their aims!

4 Likes

In those circumstances, absolutely no problems. Because it’s cadets’ money invested in training that would obviously benefit other cadets. And, unless something goes badly wrong, there is a guaranteed return that the civ com can prove when the accounts are audited.

Playing devils advocate, would it be reasonable to request/offer money for travel to any job interview?

FWIW, I think it’s a worthy cause, and wouldn’t hesitate to ask the civ com if there were no other options. But, in this day and age, there shouldn’t be any problem with adapting the assessment processes to take into account things like personal hardship.

Can they, though? Are they allowed to pay for cadets to go gliding outside of the RAFAC? Or flying? Is there not some assumption of liability or Issues with insurance should the RAFAC pay for something out of Sqn funds?

1 Like

All the PPL (and CPL/ATPL) exams are online multiple choice. No handwriting .

1 Like

The good news for applicants is there is absolutely no handwriting required at any point in the training.

The bad news is the application process is unchanged since 1938.

2 Likes

Apart from filling in logbooks with entries that are legible to an examiner?

Looks like someone’s banged in a FOI :roll_eyes:

Electronic logbooks :man_shrugging:

Wish I had one of those. Just had to add up my P1 cross-country time for the last 20+ years as I’ve never been asked that question before… (it was actually easier to add up my non-CC time and subtract, as I try always to fly from A to B where I can just for the enjoyment of it.)

You do already if you’ve got Excel :laughing:

I think most people flying commercially use them, so much easier than keeping paper. You don’t actually have to do anything as most places you can just auto load from your rosters anyway.

Also can’t spill coffee on a PDF…